Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146140 times)

pintrader

Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #390 on: July 08, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
I would not be surprised if they use this to also replace AP.  I never thought about it before but yet, the building should have been a cave.  Oh well, still looks fun.

AP won’t be replaced anytime soon

Good to hear.  Though I agree it needs some upgrading it would be foolish to replace 2 water rides with 1 new one.  By keeping the American Plunge after adding MRF will help keep the waiting time down on both rides.

I don't really see AP making even a small dent in the waiting time for MRF.  I mean let's face it, MRF is absolutely going to be packed for a good long time.  The only thing AP really has going for it is the plunge at the end and MRF covers that pretty well.

I have enjoyed AP for many years but it really needs a big upgrading which I don't think SDC will do.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 08, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »
...only thing AP really has going for it is the plunge at the end...

It also has a lower minimum height of 36" which is huge for families. Mystic River Falls is 40"; Lost River was 36".
I know that our family will continue to ride American Plunge in addition to MRF due to the height restriction.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:44:59 AM by mg »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 08, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
^ ^AP guarantees to get you wet with generally a short line.  I think of AP as Charlie Brown's Christmas tree:  "I never thought it was a bad ride.  It just needs a little love."  :)
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #393 on: July 08, 2020, 12:26:13 PM »
...only thing AP really has going for it is the plunge at the end...

It also has a lower minimum height of 36" which is huge for families. Mystic River Falls is 40"; Lost River was 36".
I know that our family will continue to ride American Plunge in addition to MRF due to the height restriction.

If your talking about ride specifics, sure some individuals and families are going to be limited in what they can ride.  My point is AP is not going to be able to make much of a difference in the queue of MRF.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:16:57 PM by Pintrader »

pintrader

« Reply #394 on: July 08, 2020, 12:37:31 PM »
^ ^AP guarantees to get you wet with generally a short line.  I think of AP as Charlie Brown's Christmas tree:  "I never thought it was a bad ride.  It just needs a little love."  :)

Lol....you know that is one guarantee about AP.   It will get you wet!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #395 on: July 09, 2020, 07:54:10 AM »
To be fair, the ride it replaces lost its theme.  In fact, the theme was barely there to begin with.  Hopefully, MRF at least has a soundtrack to help it along.  We know the story behind the idea of the ride, but the question remains:  how much theming is in the queue?

There’s a ton of theming in the queue building.

I would assume that all future plans are fluid at this point. Any new ride is a huge investment and with the park closure earlier this year and now the low attendance numbers...I would expect they will be very conservative with their planned spending.

I would be shocked if we saw another large attraction open before 2024. There will be small infrastructure upgrades here and there but no huge additions like this
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 09, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »
To be fair, the ride it replaces lost its theme.  In fact, the theme was barely there to begin with.  Hopefully, MRF at least has a soundtrack to help it along.  We know the story behind the idea of the ride, but the question remains:  how much theming is in the queue?

There’s a ton of theming in the queue building.

I would assume that all future plans are fluid at this point. Any new ride is a huge investment and with the park closure earlier this year and now the low attendance numbers...I would expect they will be very conservative with their planned spending.

I would be shocked if we saw another large attraction open before 2024. There will be small infrastructure upgrades here and there but no huge additions like this

They should shoot for some of the new new flats. Much less expensive but needed. I really wished they had added a second, taller shot tower to fireman's landing kind like how Hersheypark did minus one

Jaykethekid

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »
Add me to the list of people who would like to see some more flat rides added. Ride wise, once you get done riding all of the other major rides in the park, there's not much else to do in regards to rides. I know some people are apprehensive at the idea of flat's being built, but it isn't impossible to make a flat fit the theme unlike what some people say. The Giant Barn Swing is a prime example of that. And there's some good flats that can easily be marketed as family attractions since that what everyone seems to scream about needing in SDC'c facebook comment section. Though, anything that moves is likely perceived as "too extreme" to a lot of people complaining about the lack of new family additions.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
Though, anything that moves is likely perceived as "too extreme" to a lot of people complaining about the lack of new family additions.

I believe you have to drop some coin for a good dark ride but they sure could use another.  Specifically because they are not adding family rides older folks want to ride and SDC was built on family.  Dollywood has kept a good mix with the additions.  New coasters that were not record breakers but had appeal and flat rides to match.  SDC seems to be trying to "break records", I dont know if that is a long lasting strategy for this park.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2020, 03:16:43 PM »
I prefer quality to quantity. Flats do nothing for me. I pass them by everywhere I go. You can ride them at any carnival. A new highly themed dark ride should be the next addition by far.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 09, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
Though, anything that moves is likely perceived as "too extreme" to a lot of people complaining about the lack of new family additions.

I believe you have to drop some coin for a good dark ride but they sure could use another.  Specifically because they are not adding family rides older folks want to ride and SDC was built on family.  Dollywood has kept a good mix with the additions.  New coasters that were not record breakers but had appeal and flat rides to match.  SDC seems to be trying to "break records", I dont know if that is a long lasting strategy for this park.

I think that is all about ROI ----
Record breaking rides cost more money but they bring people to the park. We might all love dark rides but I doubt a new one would make headlines and really drive visitor numbers up.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 09, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »
I prefer quality to quantity. Flats do nothing for me. I pass them by everywhere I go. You can ride them at any carnival. A new highly themed dark ride should be the next addition by far.

I prefer coasters but my two kids would just as soon ride a fun flat. That makes 2 out of 3 that don't care. Out of Efteling, Europa, Port Aventura, Disneyland Paris, Phantasialand, and Tivoli, they loved that Tic Tac ride at Tivoli the best that was a 17 and 15 year olds at the time. They also loved the Star Flyer at Tivoli and the Soarin-esque ride at Europa. They liked the coasters just fine but they liked those the best.

pintrader

« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2020, 06:31:31 PM »

I think that is all about ROI ----
Record breaking rides cost more money but they bring people to the park. We might all love dark rides but I doubt a new one would make headlines and really drive visitor numbers up.

I guess the last 3 rides have been so called record breakers or firsts.   Yes they do cost a lot of money and bring a lot of people to the park, but for how long?  It seems at least to me that after a while that starts to wane some, which is just normal I guess.   Lost River stayed really busy year after year in the summer months so I think MRF will stay very popular as time goes by.

I just think a well themed dark ride would bring in just as many people and probably more in the long term as the record breakers and firsts.   Besides SDC really needs a quality indoor ride of some kind, but would hope it's not at the expense of FITH.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2020, 02:09:03 PM »
Most people start leaving the park when they feel rain, because there are not many rides or other things to do. Most guests are there for the rides, except during November and December. Some people will stick around during the rain and some guests know about the only 2 indoor rides. For most guests, rides get boring very quick, especially if there are no other rides open. Because of this, I think a new indoor ride, dark ride, or mix of both would help TREMENDOUSLY! It will keep more people in the park and it will also be the ride for those to go to when it's too cold or too hot outside but they dont want to get wet. The more indoor rides SDC has, the better chance they have of keeping most people in the park during certain or all weather conditions.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:11:03 PM by Dewayne »

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »
Please submit a detailed cost benefit analysis of indoor rides in reference to overall cost and customer retention. :-)

Most people start leaving the park when they feel rain, because there are not many rides or other things to do. Most guests are there for the rides, except during November and December. Some people will stick around during the rain and some guests know about the only 2 indoor rides. For most guests, rides get boring very quick, especially if there are no other rides open. Because of this, I think a new indoor ride, dark ride, or mix of both would help TREMENDOUSLY! It will keep more people in the park and it will also be the ride for those to go to when it's too cold or too hot outside but they dont want to get wet. The more indoor rides SDC has, the better chance they have of keeping most people in the park during certain or all weather conditions.