Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146046 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #315 on: June 25, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
Don't let the higher education mavens off the hook:  what passes for college education today is a national tragedy.  I say that as an insider struggling against the system.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2020, 01:12:18 PM »
Let's not make the mistake of getting too political again.

Yes, it sucks that baldknobbers may get misunderstood these days, but with everything going on it is probably better to be cautious. Perhaps one day they can be better represented without the cloud of everything that is going on right now.

Coronavirus is spiking heavily. Whatever the lockdown bought us is quickly running out. I don't think everything will shut down again, but at this point who knows... At some point it's going to really roll through Tulsa/NWA/Branson just like it did NYC and now Houston. It's great that it's not as deadly as previously thought, but it still causes plenty of problems for a lot of people. The hope for getting back to normal in time for pumpkin fest is kind of waning, but it's still a long ways off.

pintrader

« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »
It does seem odd that were talking about baldknobbers being misunderstood... :)

At some point might be now because the Joplin area has become one of the nation's leading hot spots over the past week or so.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
Let's not make the mistake of getting too political again.

Yes, it sucks that baldknobbers may get misunderstood these days, but with everything going on it is probably better to be cautious. Perhaps one day they can be better represented without the cloud of everything that is going on right now.

Coronavirus is spiking heavily. Whatever the lockdown bought us is quickly running out. I don't think everything will shut down again, but at this point who knows... At some point it's going to really roll through Tulsa/NWA/Branson just like it did NYC and now Houston. It's great that it's not as deadly as previously thought, but it still causes plenty of problems for a lot of people. The hope for getting back to normal in time for pumpkin fest is kind of waning, but it's still a long ways off.

In reality I doubt  that anyone outside the immediate Branson area has any clue what a Baldknobber is or was. Its not like they were a defining moment in American history. Just a local vigilante group.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
Baldknobbers:  a vigilante group, dissatisfied with local law enforcement, burning structures and attacking people with whom they disagree

I know there's more to it, but it does sound relevant and worthy of study.  I love the educational side to the old attractions at SDC.  Unfortunately, they don't exploit that side of things any more - not that they ever did so with much intention, but still...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
At some point might be now because the Joplin area has become one of the nation's leading hot spots over the past week or so.

The NW Arkansas area is also being hit hard. Another huge source of Tourism Dollars for the Branson area. They even enacted a Temp city ordinance requiring masks in public in Fayetteville here for the foreseeable future. I expect Branson will get a spike pretty soon from all the people traveling from down here who may or may not be exposed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:19:23 PM by sdcfan88 »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »
You absolutely can not believe anything the media reports these days.  They are focused on a spike in new cases, but fail to report the death rate is dropping.  What does this tell us? That is is ridiculous all the panic that has happened.  Yes people will get it but it is not a deadly end of the world thing the media is making it out to be.  As far as idiots these days, this is the generation that were raised by time out mommies.  Before that, kids got their A** beat at school and home if they acted up.  They paid consequences and were better for it.  Then parents were afraid of getting DHS called on them so they did not do it, or did not believe it it because it was "cruel".  There is a big difference between beating your kids rear end (aka, spanking) and child abuse. 

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
On other thing, I was in line at FITH behind some folks who spotted one of the baldnobbers pictures up on the wall and were giving each other looks and pointing like they were thinking it was some KKK thing.  Pure ignorance.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2020, 10:43:20 PM »

The NW Arkansas area is also being hit hard. Another huge source of Tourism Dollars for the Branson area. They even enacted a Temp city ordinance requiring masks in public in Fayetteville here for the foreseeable future. I expect Branson will get a spike pretty soon from all the people traveling from down here who may or may not be exposed.

Well, I can tell you that the city ordinance in Fayetteville is toothless and loosely enforced with the onus put on the businesses. They ain't wanting to piss off anyone right now. The City Attorney told them it would never stand up to court challenge  The rise has leveled off a bit, it did hit the Marshallese community hard and Hispanics as well. Marshallese are known to have a high rate of health issues. It is like they are Mother Nature's punching bag. Nothing about this spike is slowing anything down. A big jump in the local numbers is yet another spike at an assisted living facility.

Here an example of some Wuflu deaths in state(from the Ark Dem Gazette)

Bobby May, 77 of Russellville died at St. Vincents in Little Rock.  His son says he had been in the hospital for 2 months.  " I do not believe he died of Covid. "  Says he had brain surgery  due to a brain infection.  He tested positive monday and is listed as a Covid death.  His medical history includes endocarditis, cardiac infection, hypertension and diabetes.   The son goes on to say "  After his brain surgery, he went down hill."

Yep,.a covid death. This is not an isolated thing.

With that said, tomorrow. Is my birthday and I struck a deal.with the wife. See gets  Pawhuska for mid day and we end up in Tulsa so I can hit up Marshall Brewing and Prairie Artisan for the night.

The plan was a two and a half week trip that included Yellowstone, black Hills ,Grand Tetons, SLC and Lagoon, oh well.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:51:15 PM by chittlins »

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2020, 11:19:02 PM »
Don't let the higher education mavens off the hook:  what passes for college education today is a national tragedy.  I say that as an insider struggling against the system.
I can definitely agree on that... Took college History 205/206 and we had to skim over most of history in the 1800's/early 1900's just to get to modern times in two semesters.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 26, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »
Pure ignorance.

More to the point, it's willful ignorance, and this problem lies near the heart of many of our social issues today.  "I only want to know what I *want* to know, not what some teacher thinks I need to know.  I am the arbiter of all things."

This problem is not related to a political ideology in the sense we use politics.  It is related to the ME ideology, the selfishness that is the heart and source of human problems.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
In one of the few times I might agree with some of you on political type things, I think the teaching and learning of history has gone severely downhill since I graduated high school 30 years ago. And even though I often have thought that I knew quite a bit about history, I have learned in the last few years that I really don't know anything - especially about world history. I read a book recently taken from the journals of the US ambassador to Germany just before the war and was amazed at the things going on in the US at the time that I had no clue about.

I think the bigger problem here is that most everyone takes things at face value. Whether it be news or pictures of the baldknobbers or all of that. No one wants to do the leg work to understand. So they see (or hear) things they don't like and act without truly KNOWING or VERIFYING.

Honestly I am torn on so many things like the monument removal and even things like "injuns" from the old train ride script. I am part Cherokee... but I guess it never bothered me.

I guess I hope they don't change the signage and all on things at SDC (even though I'll probably never be there again). But might be nice to provide a context next to it. Say by the baldknobber painting in Fire In The Hole maybe give a short synopsis of who/what they are. At least at that point, the people don't have to do the leg work on the research... but still have to read. Which can also be a challenge to get people to do
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:13:17 AM by Jemmicat »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2020, 11:22:32 AM »
I don't have time to split this topic, but I did start a new thread for this conversation:  http://www.sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=4181.msg81196#new.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:26:02 AM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »
Thanks HB, I had forgotten that this was actually the 2020 ride thread, lol.

So since testing appears to be going decently, what is everyone's estimates on when it will open?

I'm assuming they want to get a good media/ticket boost from the opening and the current situation will set that back... maybe soft opening mid July and a grand opening event in September? At this point it will obviously be much more celebrated as next year's "new" ride, but I doubt they would keep it closed all year just to push off the opening.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
I'm hoping July 9th or 10th since that's when we're scheduled to go  :D

I'm Your Huckleberry