Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146252 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »
I’m hoping they weather down the colors, but they’ve already taken down the scaffolding so I’m not holding my breath
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
Is there anything that resembles tiki carvings?  It seems like there was something like that in the concept art.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2020, 04:11:34 PM »
^ What were the other concepts besides Mystic River Falls?
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
It's the current PR stuff that has the picture below.  Is this part of the Marble Cave concept???  It looks more like something that fits somewhere else.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
^I haven’t personally seen any faces in the rocks, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
Lol sounds like they had some leftover paint from the Geyser Gulch days and decided to repurpose it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2020, 10:33:47 PM »
Lol sounds like they had some leftover paint from the Geyser Gulch days and decided to repurpose it.

No.  Geyser Gulch had more muted colors.  They were bright but not pure colors like this. (That might not make sense if you don’t have an art background)
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2020, 11:07:30 PM »

No.  Geyser Gulch had more muted colors.  They were bright but not pure colors like this. (That might not make sense if you don’t have an art background)

I thought the same thing - that we just got rid of the garish colors in GG.  I think a bigger concern with GG was that that pastel color pallet was clearly from the 1980s.  The whole area was dated because of that.  Hopefully, purer colors will not suffer the same fate and date the area to the 2020s for decades to come.

If you look closely, some of those colors are present in the concept art - especially in the Smokehouse.  It doesn't seem overly garish but seems to tend to make it look more like a beach or a safari than a speleological expedition.  Of course, it would all look better with some distressing.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »

I thought the same thing - that we just got rid of the garish colors in GG.  I think a bigger concern with GG was that that pastel color pallet was clearly from the 1980s.  The whole area was dated because of that.  Hopefully, purer colors will not suffer the same fate and date the area to the 2020s for decades to come.

If you look closely, some of those colors are present in the concept art - especially in the Smokehouse.  It doesn't seem overly garish but seems to tend to make it look more like a beach or a safari than a speleological expedition.  Of course, it would all look better with some distressing.

Get ready for some Jimmy Buffett background music, amirite?  ;D
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2020, 12:06:33 PM »

Get ready for some Jimmy Buffett background music, amirite?  ;D
[/quote]

^Bite your tongue! Bite his tongue!  Bite my tongue!  Happy Hanukkah
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2020, 09:08:08 PM »

LOL! I was about to post this myself. It's been too long since SDC nuts have been able to complain about paint colors.

Meh, I used up what little care I had left about the decor on the new modernistic interiors and starbucks coming to the park. It is what it is I guess. Lot of designers working on things at SDC that have probably never even been to Missouri. They want it to look fresh and modern with a rustic feel, not hill-billy rustic like the park used to be. That's OK, at least it's still a much better experience all around than any of the other parks.

I can sit here all day and happily critique designer choices, but at the same time I don't actually care and can't wait to finally get back and have some fun.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »

I can sit here all day and happily critique designer choices, but at the same time I don't actually care and can't wait to finally get back and have some fun.

I couldnt agree more..   

Isnt that the bottom line? We still enjoy it no matter what they do?

And after all, isnt that why we critique the little details so much, Because way down inside we all love SDC and Probably would rather be there then anyplace else......   (especially right now!! LOL)

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
But little by little the modern world is creeping in like a virus eventually making SDC just like any other place. Which is fine, they have to keep up or pack up. Will I still go? Not as much as I once did. Buying SP will not be a yearly event anymore. No matter what color they slap on the place, it will still be the same kind of fun. I mean, a red chair sits the same as a blue.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »
It's been too long since SDC nuts have been able to complain about paint colors.

So... like Time Traveler? Yeah I vividly remember the complaining about the stain color
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »
Anyone been through Branson lately? I'm wondering if they ever got the elevator done. Mystic River would be open or about ready to open by now, presumably, if things had gone to plan. I know there were some delays both due to general construction issues and from shipping parts over from Europe (seems to happen every time no matter what). Not a lot of people left at the city right now though after all the furloughs and layoffs...