Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 145990 times)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2020, 02:56:36 PM »
That lift does look amazing, I sure hope it works that efficiently! Will be fun to overlook the ride as you ascend to the top too.

Also, the speed of the water in the videos from Silver Dollar City looks pretty exciting - no leisurely raft ride down the Mystic River.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2020, 08:03:45 PM »
I was looking at video of the new restaurant and it appears to have metal siding. Kind of bums me out. The restaurant is very country contemporary looking. The video showed the light fixtures hanging from the foyer ceiling, and I didn't see 1880s anywhere. However, time marches on and the park has to accommodate over 2 million folk per year. Change must occur. The high quality is still there. I am chomping at the bit to get to see the new Rivertown area. Of course, I spent most of my time on park in that area at the diving bell, 1979-1984. Pretty much everything I remember in that part of the park has been wiped clean and all is new there. The only building original to the 1977 opening of the Deepwoods...later Riverfront...now Rivertown, is the old Wagon Works Barn, now called the White River Warehouse, which is adjacent to Tom and Huck's River Splash. March 17th is just a sneeze away. I'm excited about 2020 for SDC!

I agree. The metal siding appears to be a design change to save costs. It's still in theme and looks OK though.

This will only make sense to older SDC fans, but I'm also a little disappointed that the new ribhouse is so modern looking on the inside. From the video it looks like a lot of faux-rustic surfaces with plenty of bright lighting and lots of obvious fancy modern kitchen appliances. Some of this is unavoidable since you obviously need those appliances and it is a brand new modern building, but the old SDC way of doing things was to try as hard as possible not to take you out of the 1880-ish ambiance and now that isn't even a thought anymore. It's never been totally authentic, and obviously the whole park has always been very tough-in-cheek, but all the little things they used to do to hide technology added up and made the place more interesting even if it wasn't "real".

I know it's a topic that's been complained about many, many times on these boards, but some of the changes this year are a step up from what we used to think was going too far.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. Hardly anyone will notice that there has been a style change, and fewer will care or think it's a bad thing. For us old fans it continues to be hard to see the special ambiance of the city fade away into more generic-ness.

It also looks like the cinnamon bread is going to be a little different now? More like DW's version? Could just be the photo.

The city will keep evolving whether we like it or not. It just kind of sucks to see them slowly trending in the direction of making it more like a Cedar Fair park. There's still a lot of effort put into making it a great park at least.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2020, 08:24:30 AM »
Does anyone know if construction is continuing during this hiatus of life?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »

They should be.  there has been no mention of closing down constructions or materials suppliers.. (so I am still working),

BUT i feel like that is going to change very soon.. :-\

AND if they are they should be making huge progress with the public not in the way, they dont have to hide equipment, just keep moving forward with the job..

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »
In Oklahoma (and doing the billion dollar driving forward program) we've had two contractors close down because of the virus (one being a general and one as a sub-contractor). ODOT has provided us with directive if the contractors chose to close down because of the virus. So right now in Oklahoma, it's being left up to each construction company if they are closing or not.

I talked with a President of a large contractor and he said in Colorado their jobs have been closed.

On the job sites we are doing our best to maintain the rules provided by the state. The companies have even expanded their safety protocol testing workers for fever multiple times daily, having separation requirements, going to online meetings, and limiting personnel in field offices. I know my employees are using their phone for communication with the contractors and keeping their distance. A lot more digital documents for material tickets, deliveries, etc.

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »

The issues a lot of sites are running into is not that they themselves are shutting down due to COVID, but the places they get supplies from (sheet metal, etc) are shut down.  So they cannot do anything until those reopen
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »
In Oklahoma (and doing the billion dollar driving forward program) we've had two contractors close down because of the virus (one being a general and one as a sub-contractor). ODOT has provided us with directive if the contractors chose to close down because of the virus. So right now in Oklahoma, it's being left up to each construction company if they are closing or not.

I talked with a President of a large contractor and he said in Colorado their jobs have been closed.

On the job sites we are doing our best to maintain the rules provided by the state. The companies have even expanded their safety protocol testing workers for fever multiple times daily, having separation requirements, going to online meetings, and limiting personnel in field offices. I know my employees are using their phone for communication with the contractors and keeping their distance. A lot more digital documents for material tickets, deliveries, etc.

Jay

We had a company send us 43 seperate job quotes for machining work. We couldn't do them all if we wanted. We made a couple of calls to find out why we got bombarded and some of their suppliers have shut down voluntarily. If the Gov't is gonna pay above and beyond current pay on unemployment, whynot. We are pretty old school though and quoted double time pay factored in. We expect to actually get these jobs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:51:15 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2020, 09:54:15 AM »

Received confirmation that the ride is still being built.  They hope to have it ready to go for the park’s opening (whenever that might be). 
SWOOSH

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
Excellent news!  Thanks, Swoosh!

-Tim
You have a great past ahead of you!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2020, 07:23:00 PM »
Butterfield Stage has a new home behind the tintype shop where the old photography wagon was.  They built a cover over it too.  It looks nice. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2020, 07:32:51 AM »

Received confirmation that the ride is still being built.  They hope to have it ready to go for the park’s opening (whenever that might be).

That what I figured,,,
 As long as they can get materials.
I am sure they have bulk of the ride onsite. The PTB at governement level will not shut down concrete plants (needed for infrastructure)

No reason for them not to be working on it.. 

Now,. if we could just "handle" this pandemic (whatever it is ::)), and get the park open!!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
I heard you wanted an update on MRF.  While in cannot show you (that’s the rules from the park, sorry) I can tell you. 

The final drop is now installed.  It looks to be a little steeper than 45°.  The elevated section has not been installed yet.  The elevator section has also not been installed yet.  That fact makes me nervous that the ride won’t be ready when the park does open. 

Other things.  The color scheme of the whole area is bizarre.  The queue building that the drop goes through is a very bright yellow mustard color. There’s a lot of bright olive green everywhere on the buildings (like not a dull army olive, it’s bright).  Then there’s some random orange walls on the queue building.  The bridge over the ride for the entrance is also the bright olive green. The marquee for the ride appears to be a pile of boulder rocks and it will be located near that weird little stand at the exit (well basically between that and the bridge of the entrance queue). 

SWOOSH

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2020, 12:10:25 PM »
So, based on your description it sounds like beach town colors

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »
So, based on your description it sounds like beach town colors

The color scheme would fit in perfectly at White Water, yes
SWOOSH

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
Why does this make me so very disappointed? Garish colors dont belong! But maybe it will look better in person? I hope....