Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146027 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2020, 08:53:17 PM »
I am gonna take a wild guess since they are redoing the pathway/bridge heading to WF and got rid of a bunch of trees that they removed the waterfall feature and leveled the surrounding area.

Then you’d be wrong. 
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2020, 09:57:06 PM »
Good deal. Would hate to lose more of the parks landmarks and atmosphere.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2020, 07:22:26 AM »
I am gonna take a wild guess since they are redoing the pathway/bridge heading to WF and got rid of a bunch of trees that they removed the waterfall feature and leveled the surrounding area.

I would hope you are wrong..  there would be some clearing done, 

but they wont eliminate that area until they decide to put a ride or expansion area there.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2020, 07:45:22 PM »
I won’t comment on aesthetics of the new bridge, but we’ll say that the new one is concrete

Good Lord.

Why not just cut down all the trees, level the hills, and pave everything? That would make expansion a lot easier, right?

no kidding.
People need to stop making excuses for SDC regarding this stuff.
Getting harder and harder to understand why they hate the type of character and theme that made the park what it is. New cinnamon bread stand looks like absolute crap too, add it to the list.
Just tear down the park and build a new one already, hard to argue they wouldn't like to do that if they could.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2020, 07:46:51 PM »
Good deal. Would hate to lose more of the parks landmarks and atmosphere.
Well get ready to lose plenty more the way things are going.
Current powers that be don't give a damn, thats for sure.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
You guys are more than welcome to go find a new hobby since going to SDC causes you such grievance. 

I guess I’ll hold off passing along more new info on changes to the park in respect for all y’all’s heath
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »
The park has begun testing Mystic River Falls. Teaser video on their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158094107142603&id=7656242602

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2020, 09:24:15 PM »
You guys are more than welcome to go find a new hobby since going to SDC causes you such grievance. 

I guess I’ll hold off passing along more new info on changes to the park in respect for all y’all’s heath

No no, ignore them.  While I might not like all the changes that happen I still want to hear about them

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2020, 10:08:57 PM »
I personally don't mind the changes, but then again, I've been a rabid fan of theme parks in general for ages, so I've learned a lot about how the industry works and SDC is just trying to keep up. If they were to just do the same thing every year and not change/update/add... crowd growth would stagnate and they'd eventually start losing guests/money.

My generation has a different idea of what we are looking for entertainment-wise. I think the best suggestion I've seen so far with this more recent discussion is to have set times scheduled for street shows and craft demos. The economy has a big chunk of families having to have both parents working or single people working multiple jobs just to make ends meet. So when we DO plan a vacation, it tends to be done with careful planning and budgeting.

Set times that are easily findable means we can see ahead of time what to do in what order when we visit the park. Basically, just see how Disney does it. With the Magicband system, you're able to reserve a time for rides and then go about your day until your time comes up. Virtual queuing and boarding pass systems are become common because we want to be able to schedule our day. And with character meet & greets, they have set times for specific characters at specific meeting spots. I think the only "streetmosphere" I've seen that as far as I know doesn't have a set schedule is the citizens of Hollywood at Hollywood Studios. But I could be wrong about that; Disney's pretty good at having a schedule for everything.

And speaking of Disney, we can also look to it as an example of a park with increasing crowds in a park with infrastructure/pathing/etc built for the expected hundreds a day when it opened in the 50s, not the 50,000 a day they get on average now.

So they had to widen paths, which sadly meant getting rid of some trees and what-not. But the result has been much better flow of crowds and therefore less stress and tension in the crowd and therefore people having a happier day.

SDC was not built for high attendance. Their annual attendance when they first opened in '60 was 120k. FOR THE WHOLE YEAR. Now they bring in 20k+ several days a week (depending on the season).

Unfortunately, in order to ease the flow of the crowds, trees are gonna have to be taken down for paths to be widened. But there are still SO many trees. A few here and there won't be a big deal. I'm sure they've taken down plenty of trees that we've never even noticed before. Plus, they plant multiple trees elsewhere for every tree they cut down, so they're being conscientious about our planet (which cannot be said for a vast majority of multi-million/billion dollar corporations).

ANYWAY, TL;DR: I am okay with the changes at SDC because they have to make the park future-proof for the younger generations and the increasing crowds. And I appreciate the updates you give us, Swoosh, and I hope you continue to let us know about them. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:20:43 PM by Joy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2020, 07:14:59 AM »
The park has begun testing Mystic River Falls. Teaser video on their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158094107142603&id=7656242602

Just a pet peeve but I really wish they would have stained the concrete to match the real rock work instead of raw gray.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:50:15 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:06 AM »
I personally don't mind the changes, but then again, I've been a rabid fan of theme parks in general for ages, so I've learned a lot about how the industry works and SDC is just trying to keep up. If they were to just do the same thing every year and not change/update/add... crowd growth would stagnate and they'd eventually start losing guests/money.

My generation has a different idea of what we are looking for entertainment-wise. I think the best suggestion I've seen so far with this more recent discussion is to have set times scheduled for street shows and craft demos. The economy has a big chunk of families having to have both parents working or single people working multiple jobs just to make ends meet. So when we DO plan a vacation, it tends to be done with careful planning and budgeting.

Set times that are easily findable means we can see ahead of time what to do in what order when we visit the park. Basically, just see how Disney does it. With the Magicband system, you're able to reserve a time for rides and then go about your day until your time comes up. Virtual queuing and boarding pass systems are become common because we want to be able to schedule our day. And with character meet & greets, they have set times for specific characters at specific meeting spots. I think the only "streetmosphere" I've seen that as far as I know doesn't have a set schedule is the citizens of Hollywood at Hollywood Studios. But I could be wrong about that; Disney's pretty good at having a schedule for everything.

And speaking of Disney, we can also look to it as an example of a park with increasing crowds in a park with infrastructure/pathing/etc built for the expected hundreds a day when it opened in the 50s, not the 500,000 a day they get on average now.

So they had to widen paths, which sadly meant getting rid of some trees and what-not. But the result has been much better flow of crowds and therefore less stress and tension in the crowd and therefore people having a happier day.

SDC was not built for high attendance. Their annual attendance when they first opened in '60 was 120k. FOR THE WHOLE YEAR. Now they bring in 20k+ several days a week (depending on the season).

Unfortunately, in order to ease the flow of the crowds, trees are gonna have to be taken down for paths to be widened. But there are still SO many trees. A few here and there won't be a big deal. I'm sure they've taken down plenty of trees that we've never even noticed before. Plus, they plant multiple trees elsewhere for every tree they cut down, so they're being conscientious about our planet (which cannot be said for a vast majority of multi-million/billion dollar corporations).

ANYWAY, TL;DR: I am okay with the changes at SDC because they have to make the park future-proof for the younger generations and the increasing crowds. And I appreciate the updates you give us, Swoosh, and I hope you continue to let us know about them. Thank you.

The magic band system always is a way to encourage longer stays along with the ticket pricing system and at an onsite resort to reserve rides 60 days out. That got diluted by greed when they expanded it to even more "partner" hotels.

I think the new Margaritaville resort has the perk now

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2020, 09:50:49 AM »

Oh, please.  That's just a little childish.  The whole point behind these threads is so that the members here can discuss their reactions to happenings at SDC. 

Some of us like them; some don't   We are all free to not only have our personal reactions but also to share them.  If you are expecting everyone to fall into the party line and applaud the changes, you're being very unrealistic.

Frankly, I suspect some of us will eventually lose our desire to go to the City if the current trends continue.  At some point, the memories won't be worth repeating for us.  If the City no longer caters to its original audience and purpose--i.e. atmosphere, not rides--what will some of us care whether or not the City survives?  You can't threaten us with the disappearance of the City if it seems to us that it is already disappearing. 

And we have the right to complain bout that every bit as much as the others have the right to celebrate it.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2020, 02:22:15 PM »
Whoops. Added one too many zeroes to the DL daily attendance. It's 50,000, not 500,000. I've got back and edited it...

As my MSU English Society t-shirt says, "I'm an English major... YOU do the math!"

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2020, 02:56:37 PM »

Just a pet peeve but I really wish they would have stained the concrete to match the real rock work instead of raw gray.

I do agree there. Maybe the sun and elements will tan or bleach it a bit as time goes on. Otherwise the landscaping rockwork looks fantastic.

Jaykethekid

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2020, 08:27:25 PM »

I do agree there. Maybe the sun and elements will tan or bleach it a bit as time goes on. Otherwise the landscaping rockwork looks fantastic.
I've seen photos in a Facebook group that shows that they have done exactly that to parts of the trough. I don't know if that group allows their posts shared outside of the group, so I'll hold off on sharing it. But it's the Silver Dollar City Area Hosts group if you want to check it out yourselves. It shows the trough is in the process of being stained a rust like color as well as some photos of the surrounding area.