Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146137 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »
Just to illustrate the problems they have to take into account, my family represents a minority but viable population that has no interest whatever in coasters at all and every interest in maintaining the classics.  That's not just my wife and I but also our two sons.  We go to the city for the shows, the music, the train and FM as well as the ambiance and the crafts.

The PTB have a real problem trying to attract the chittlins of the world and still hang on to the palallins.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »
Just to illustrate the problems they have to take into account, my family represents a minority but viable population that has no interest whatever in coasters at all and every interest in maintaining the classics.  That's not just my wife and I but also our two sons.  We go to the city for the shows, the music, the train and FM as well as the ambiance and the crafts.

The PTB have a real problem trying to attract the chittlins of the world and still hang on to the palallins.
The thing is that it is really hard to attract both sides, especially with the classics and everything that came with them are deteriorating. You can only patch something up so many times until it becomes a mess. This is why I love the new additions, they add something new and they’re able to completely fix and replace the current infrastructure. They’ve been doing a damn good job at it, too. I’m all for keeping the classics, I love FiTH and FM, but you can only patch them up so many times before stepping back and saying “we need to start from new.”

I don’t mind flat rides at all, but putting one where Mystic is going in at doesn’t make that much sense, as you can see GBS right across from it. If it was over by TT or Thunderation and was able to blend in without it looking like a carnival, I’d be fine with that.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2019, 02:46:01 PM »

We do the classics every trip, I've been riding FITH since 1978. We do the shows, I have no problem with their coasters other than the cheeping out like the no show building for TIme Traveler, no wooden tunnel after the lift hill on Thunderation that exposes backstage and the WTF on the end of PK where the splashdown used to be.  We think there should be more rides between the kiddie stuff and the coasters. I have long advocated for a modern day Diving Bell, right now, I'd go for an Ozarks Themed flying theater. We liked the new one at Europa as much as Soarin at Epcot and DL. Notice those are indoor attractions that defeat the rain and cold. Enclosed or semi enclosed flats, rides, whatever you want to call them would as well. This area screamed (to me)of a themed up flat that would play on spinning you fast to get you dry. Some new flangled steam powered contraption. Hell, It could just be a themed up gravitron but you get the point.  After seeing how some of the Euro parks like Tivoli  squeezes all they can out of space, a ride like that could have had a patio on top for an eatery like the redo of the BBQ joint or the BBQ joint just completely on top.

Call them Six Flags all you want but to most, the GE area is quite popular and why is that? If that pisses off the traditionalist, too bad.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:02:26 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
One of the many rants that chittlins has thrown out here lately is capacity.  You do realize that’s the entire point of this project, correct?   They widened the midway, they increased the size and improved the flow of the Ribhouse, they increased the amount of seating, the increased the throughput of their rapids ride.  These all fixed to your complaint but it still wasn’t good enough for you
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »
One of the many rants that chittlins has thrown out here lately is capacity.  You do realize that’s the entire point of this project, correct?   They widened the midway, they increased the size and improved the flow of the Ribhouse, they increased the amount of seating, the increased the throughput of their rapids ride.  These all fixed to your complaint but it still wasn’t good enough for you

Nope

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
I'm looking forward to the new ride and improvements to the area. The LR had gotten to be a shell of it's former self and was a ride I skipped quite a bit (even in the summer). This will definitely bring some excitement back to that area and hopefully some improved visuals, etc.

I think parks like SDC, Sea World, etc. can get away without jamming the park full of rides just for the sake of having rides. There is so much more to do at these top parks with the shows, shops, food, etc. We used to pick SDC over "ride" parks even when we were kids because you could play and ride all day without standing in long lines. If there is anything I miss about SDC it is the areas where you could play and let your imagination run free. I would like to see more of are things like Grandfather's Mansion, Huck's Tree House, etc. places where your fun wasn't so controlled.

As parks like SDC get more rides, I think expectations change. People who were never interested in going before, now want to go to do the rides - they might not care you can make candles, watch pottery being made, candy being created, etc. Then there's families like mine who have gone since the 70's and I think love all aspects of the  park. We can go on days when no rides are open and still have a wonderful time. Maybe a flat ride isn't in the budget for this year since they are spending so much already - and really isn't needed for a park like SDC.....yet - but who knows what the future holds for a park that is obviously changing from what I experienced as a child growing up. This next year I'll get to take twin grand-babies for the first time and what I used to not care about, might be the places where I spend all my time.

Jay 

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
If that pisses off the traditionalist, too bad. 

Too bad?  Well, pissing off a portion of your public is rarely a good idea.

But you illustrate nicely a (an admittedly fuzzy) dividing line.  Rides, rides, RIDES:  you go for the rides.  With the exception of some truly traditional "rides," we go to avoid them.  We never go to WoF, 6F, or any other amusement park.  SDC has what we want (if in diminishing proportions). 

You may feel yourself free to dismiss us as irrelevant, but I hope the PTB aren't so myopic.  Our money is just as good as yours, and, given your own posts, we appear to spending more of ours at SDC than you are.  That statement isn't a judgment of your tastes or choices, just an accountant's perspective. 

jstein4507

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
I think low cost exploring trails would bring a lot of enjoyment, and very high ROI.
But the disappearance of such like of Tom Sawyers Landing, The Treefort, whatever was expected from Firemans Landing, causes me to loose trust in the future of that.

Liabilities considered, I still dont see how providing the Ozark experience without long queue lines on fancy rides is so hard to implement. Grampas Mansion is STILL a favorite, and must do for everyone with us every visit.

How long before the Cave is replaced with a spinny princess ride and drink station???

Last year, buying a slingshot and shooting acorns next to the knife shop where black powder demos used to be was my sons favorite experience.

I have been going to WOF and SDC for all of my memorable life (40+yrs), and will keep going. Sure i like the thrill and adventure, and will love the new raft ride.
SDC still gets my vote on the experience for Food, Craftmanship, Adventure, Thrill, and Fun for the whole family.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2019, 03:06:37 PM »
If turning SDC into a six flags or european type park is what it takes to survive then it might as well go away. Call me a traditionalist if you want but I go for the experience not a overdeveloped parking lot. BTW Chitlens since you seem to brag about your trips alot. I have been to Europe and Russia twice in the last 5 years and have yet to set foot in a amusement park. My time over there is more valuable to explore the beauty of the countries , meet the people and indulge myself in the history of Europe. Try hiking 4 days in Switzerland you might find out you enjoy it better than a SOS amusment park.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
If that pisses off the traditionalist, too bad. 

Too bad?  Well, pissing off a portion of your public is rarely a good idea.

But you illustrate nicely a (an admittedly fuzzy) dividing line.  Rides, rides, RIDES:  you go for the rides.  With the exception of some truly traditional "rides," we go to avoid them.  We never go to WoF, 6F, or any other amusement park.  SDC has what we want (if in diminishing proportions). 

You may feel yourself free to dismiss us as irrelevant, but I hope the PTB aren't so myopic.  Our money is just as good as yours, and, given your own posts, we appear to spending more of ours at SDC than you are.  That statement isn't a judgment of your tastes or choices, just an accountant's perspective.

In 2018, we went to SDC a total of 9 trips. When we buy passes we use those suckers. I never said the place needed 10, 20, or 30 more flats/non coaster rides. I said the new area could have used a flat, I said the same thing about  the Outlaw Run area when it was included. I wanted some Bull themed bumber cars in a barn. Saw those at Port Aventura this summer.

In that last post if mine I advocated for a flying theater featuring the Ozarks. That is a major addition. A modern tech take on Rube Dugans would be as well. But... I will say the place needs about 3 to 4 flats spread out in the park that offer moderate thrills. How that likks the shows is beyond me. SDC will have to find a way to expand it's footprint because I think a few of y'all may not be able to take remaking/replacing anything else.

What I haven't said was the Children's play areas that I saw at Europa. Those would never fly here but good lord the quality of those at that park are off the chain.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2019, 07:23:09 AM »
In that last post if mine I advocated for a flying theater featuring the Ozarks.

This would be a great addition to SDC.  The cost if done right would surpass the new coaster but could be marketed to everyone, young and old.  This system has shown itself to be a winner at other parks and they are using non IP footage.  Also this would be an indoor ride system, something SDC needs to kick up a notch.  They are relying more on the rides these days and could certainly use something that could keep running in poor weather.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »
I'm not an advocate for replacing Fire in the Hole, but imagine that ride done as a flying theater, i.e. Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom. The rider could be on "horseback" navigating through a burning Marmaros. Imagine being chased by Baldknobbers on horseback! Imagine riding across the burning Kinney Bridge! Throw in the classic "Red Flanders" line and a "Fire in the Hole!" with a splash at the end, and you might have yourself one heck of a ride!

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »
wow such vitriol on this...  Calm boys, calm.
It doesn't have to be an either/ or, it can be an and/ both.  And personally that's what I think it should be.

Personally, I agree with Chittlins that it would have been nice to have another attraction in the area.  Normally that's a ride.  But not always.  But something else to draw people in and give them something to do.  It didn't have to be a major ticket, a flat ride would fit the bill, but there could be other options as well.

At the same time I agree that they also should keep the other focus on the entertainment, shows, etc.  SDC's big bill is that it is a family park- a place where families can do things together.  And that's what they need to do- keep things that families can do together.  Add in some thrills for the dare devils, and add things that young children and grandparents can join in on as well.

That's a hard balance to find sometimes. And in a smaller park, it's not unusual for people to need a year or two off.  Also nothing wrong with that.  I'm really perturbed that some took that as a excuse to take personal shots, simply because someone has a different opinion.

Or the idea that thinking a park needs flats means it's turning into Six Flags.  Disney also does flats, and they are a good way to balance out a park so that it appeals to everyone.

One last bit- SDC really does need things that increase their capacity.  I don't mean how many people the park can hold, I mean some things that can actually get high numbers of people on the rides at time.  The largest capacity rides at SDC can push through on their best days around 700-1000 people an hour.  Maybe.  That's not high capacity.  Not when you compare it to coasters like SFMM or CP have that will push through 1500+/ hour.  Or you start looking at rides at Disney that can easily push through over 2000 an hour with around the 3000 mark.

SDC has a pretty good mix of rides.  But they are NOT a high capacity park.  Not when their largest days are low to medium level attendance days at many parks, or when they see more people each day at the Apple Butter Making festival.  Yes, I'd like to see the park get expanded along those lines like Dollywood has- which also has several high capacity rides to help absorb those larger crowds.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2019, 08:30:54 AM »
My point was--and remains--that not everyone goes for the rides.  There are people who don't want the rides, and we are a population who also spend $$$ at SDC.  Make enough changes, and you will alienate us.  The city *may* bring in enough new blood to compensate, but it might not, either.  Besides, we don't need another 6F or WoF in the area. 

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »
My point was--and remains--that not everyone goes for the rides.  There are people who don't want the rides, and we are a population who also spend $$$ at SDC.  Make enough changes, and you will alienate us.  The city *may* bring in enough new blood to compensate, but it might not, either.  Besides, we don't need another 6F or WoF in the area.
I’m pretty sure that the higher ups recognize this majority of people, which is why they haven’t removed or renovate any of the current craft areas. And even though they are brining new rides to make SDC stand out and bring in new guests, they still keep that “city” feel. Especially down by TT. I’m not really sure how adding more rides will turn it into a “Six Flags” Or “Worlds of Fun”, though.