Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146054 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »
The area needed a quality flat.

This isn’t Six Flags.

Still needs more flats, covered at that

My teens binged this thing like a new netflix show

https://youtu.be/CeN8BL2r2RE

Tivolis air race and condor were popular rides too.

Still...
This isn’t Six Flags. 

Agree, do not ugly it up like a carnival.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »
The area needed a quality flat.

This isn’t Six Flags.

Still needs more flats, covered at that

My teens binged this thing like a new netflix show

https://youtu.be/CeN8BL2r2RE

Tivolis air race and condor were popular rides too.

Still...
This isn’t Six Flags. 

Agree, do not ugly it up like a carnival.

Still needs more flats.

The wife and I discussed season passes for next year, we aren't there yet. This addition did nothing.

First time we have ever skipped SPs two straight years. We aren't feeling it.  Maybe it is because we just did Efteling, Phantasialand, Disneyland Paris, Port Aventura , Tivoli Copenhagen and Europa Park.

Thinking about Six Flags or Cedar passes for some road trips but never sniffing KC or STL.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:09:06 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
The wife and I discussed season passes for next year, we aren't there yet. This addition did nothing.

That’s too bad.  We’ll miss you around here.  Take care.  Have a good life.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »

What makes you think I'll Go anywhere...
UCFO

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »

UCFO

To quote Taylor Swift “You need to calm down.  You’re being too loud”
Again, we’ll miss you. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »

UCFO

To quote Taylor Swift “You need to calm down.  You’re being too loud”
Again, we’ll miss you.

Just get your band geeks to tighen up that figure 8 for the first half time performance everyone goes to the bathroom during except the proud band geek parents.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 11:09:13 PM »
Just get your band geeks to tighen up that figure 8 for the first half time performance everyone goes to the bathroom during except the proud band geek parents.

Thank you for the well wishes.  I’ll make sure to do that
Again, we’ll miss you and your thoughtful posts.  You truly are one of the great ones
SWOOSH

getoffmytrain

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 08:52:21 AM »

Words from the truly ignorant... I see why Six Flags is right up your ally! Poor costumer service, crappy food and no character or pride in their park would seem to fit your personality!  I'd prefer you go there anyway!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:54:35 AM by getoffmytrain »

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »

And what is wrong with these “band geeks?”

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2019, 09:36:28 AM »
Back to the topic, folks.  We can disagree about future plans and tastes, but this thread is only about 2020, and we don't need to get personal, and high school band students should not get caught in your crosshairs.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »

Words from the truly ignorant... I see why Six Flags is right up your ally! Poor costumer service, crappy food and no character or pride in their park would seem to fit your personality!  I'd prefer you go there anyway!

Coasters are up my alley, and I'll go anywhere.

Fact of the Matter is that between my family and wife's two sisters there were a combined 12 season passes bought each year for SDC. This year there was 4 amongst this group and next year is looking like none. We are local market and I know others (friends/co workers) feel the same as we do. Seems the daily attendance reports seem to bare this out, maybe the Pumpkin stuff will be a smash success I hope so. I still thin SDC is the best theme park between the Smokies and the Rockies but it's got a little tired for many.

The biggeat complaint abbout this ride amonst folks I have talked to about it isn't the drop, it's that it's just another raft ride. They don't really see it as new. That's a problem. That will be a problem for any redo of FITH or Flooded Mine or anything else. I have heard folks poo poo the weekend Christmas crowds for two years now around here and that is about the only tome they can go with work and all. SDC, hasn't grown the footprint to disperse the humanity or help with the traffic nightmare and parking issues when slammed.

It is what it is whether you played in a band or between the hashes.the park desperately needs some flats an I'll stick by that. Each big new ride shouldnhave an accompanying flat nearby that shares the theme and story. This was no different,  a bbq place is a bbq place and other than the drop it is still a raft ride that many just see as the same ol....

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 03:05:27 PM »
Children! Don't make me get the hose! There's no need to bicker over such a silly topic.

I get what you are saying chittlins, but I don't think the park has a lot of options to work with. LR needed to be re-done one way or another. They could have cheaped out and merely replaced the trough and water system somehow, but that would have been pretty lame and still cost millions. I'm grateful that they put their weight behind this and tried to make it the best they possibly could.

I wouldn't mind a new flat either, but it would have been tough to shove into this location without sacrificing the neat atmosphere.

This $30 million addition comes on the heals of ~$60 million in spending the previous two years. Keep in mind how much infrastructure has been replaced and upgraded along with Time Traveler and this. The park is literally rebuilding itself piece by piece.

It's not uncommon for local market folks to get burned out after going to the park for years and years. Every once in awhile even I get tired of it. It's not for lack of effort on the parks side though. You can only expect them to do so much.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
^This. It could be worse and be like Worlds of Fun where they get little or nothing at all. The most being the rebuild and retrack of Timberwolf over the past few years as something they can market and hype. Their last coaster was Prowler added back in 2009. Without getting too far off topic I will say every time I ride Prowler it makes me miss OzCat, such a fantastic terrain woodie. WOF is a neat park with a lot of potential but Cedar Fair doesn't want to put any real money into it and I kinda wished HFEC would purchase it and give it some love. (and not do it like they did with CC)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:40:51 PM by sdcfan88 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »
SDC is a cash cow for HFE even with the recent spending.....I assume.

There is a bit of a local disappointment that this is basically just replaceing attractions they just removed for reasons not really explained.  Like upgrading and iphone 7 to iphone x....it's newer and looks cooler...but is it worth it?

At least the FL area added to the ride count with some kids flats and space shot along with replacing a kids play area.  I kind of agree that this project seems to missing a new flat....but....I don't get to spend there money.

In my mind....SDCs two biggest issues is.....overcrowding.....and the lack of fresh things to do.  Us customers are also very hard to please.  We want both all the classics to stay forever plus have lots of new experiences too every time we go....lol.  Flat would help a little with overcrowding....lol.  At least they are trying to keep the festivals in shows fresh.

Hey....48 less season tickets from chittlins crew means less lines for the rest of us!!!!  Maybe overcrowding will fix itself without having raise prices to do it....lol  Don't get me started on my mindless wondering about if SDC would be better or worse if they jacked up season tix prices and lowered the daily tixs.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
^This. It could be worse and be like Worlds of Fun where they get little or nothing at all. The most being the rebuild and retrack of Timberwolf over the past few years as something they can market and hype. Their last coaster was Prowler added back in 2009. Without getting too far off topic I will say every time I ride Prowler it makes me miss OzCat, such a fantastic terrain woodie. WOF is a neat park with a lot of potential but Cedar Fair doesn't want to put any real money into it and I kinda wished HFEC would purchase it and give it some love. (and not do it like they did with CC)

Considering WOF is my true home park and the fact that I grew up with it and have been working with their PR Department for over 20 years now, I couldn’t disagree with your statement more.  The amount of money they’ve been pouring into the park here lately has been crazy.  They’ve literally been doing a SDC level of rebuilding their entire infrastructure.  New front gate / ticketing area (SDC could take pointers), new main entry plaza entertainment area, new flagship dining restaurant, new fountain plaza entertainment area, refurbished steam engine with a new boiler, new pump system and fiberglass for Viking Voyager, Winterfest, Grand Carnivale, and that’s before you even get to all of the recent added thematic elements and new rides.  They also hired a new chef and completely redid their entire menu for both parks.  All of these had to happen for a major ride capex to be possible.  It’s actually coming pretty soon. The death of Diamond Head moved some things around but last I heard it’s still on track.

I hope SDC plans on a major upgrade for their Christmas parade next year because WOF is also getting one and if it’s even remotely as good as the Grand Carnivale parade it will make the SDC one look shabby. 
SWOOSH