Author Topic: Thunderation Bump  (Read 11864 times)

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderation Bump
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
The "bump" has been getting worse for 2 years.  It is definitely one of the best mine/family rides around but "good grief" it needs to be fixed.  The self described "expert" should recognize that.  My daughter and I once rode it 12 times in a row when she was 7 and had to walk the long line back around.  Now we all cringe about the severe bump.  Show it some love, not just "shut up and appreciate it". 

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »
Now that I think about it, it seems like there is a 2nd bump that has formed down close to where it curves up from where it sits next to TT.  I can recall if this is before the tunnel  or after.  I may have to ride it again to see.  My problem with the bump is I know its coming so I tense up.  I am already starting to get a stiff back from old age I guess which does not agree with the bump.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
It is close to the end of the helix. It almost feels like you are hitting a pothole in your car. It's not a subtle dip. It's a very sharp, jarring feel.

So it's probably literally the fastest part of the ride?  Where it would probably also be the most noticeable. 

Hopefully is just normal wear and not caused by TT damage.  Id suggest calling SDC and letting them know.  I'm guessing they do know about it....but it wouldn't hurt to make sure they SDC knows people are talking about it.  Hopefully that would just help prioritize a fix for it.  I would tend to think the park would go with a fix maybe in the offseason before doing anything too drastic with the whole ride.  Like all things in theme parks....just depends on the money and lawyers what can be done.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:57:40 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 07:28:17 PM »
It is close to the end of the helix. It almost feels like you are hitting a pothole in your car. It's not a subtle dip. It's a very sharp, jarring feel.

So it's probably literally the fastest part of the ride?  Where it would probably also be the most noticeable. 

Hopefully is just normal wear and not caused by TT damage.  Id suggest calling SDC and letting them know.  I'm guessing they do know about it....but it wouldn't hurt to make sure they SDC knows people are talking about it.  Hopefully that would just help prioritize a fix for it.  I would tend to think the park would go with a fix maybe in the offseason before doing anything too drastic with the whole ride.  Like all things in theme parks....just depends on the money and lawyers what can be done.

To add to this; yes if one does take this action to messaging the PTB, please be thoughtful in how you word it. Do emphasize you do wish to see a fix or total refurb made. If a bunch of people flood their message boards and emails about this issue with TNT simply complaining, the PTB may merely perceive that the ride has become old and outdated to the public and is no longer marketable and could potentially be a liability/negative publicity issue in the future thus causing them to simply close and remove the ride and put something new and different in its place.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:31:17 PM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »
It seems like something happened when they were building Time Traveler that caused that one section of ride to get really bad.  It's definitely a jarring bump/ jolt, and it doesn't feel good.  Not sure what needs to be done to fix it exactly, but it does need something done.

No need to replace the whole coaster though- just fix the one section and give it a nice refurbishment as a whole. It's a good mine train coaster.  There are a few I like better, but if you're in middle America then it stands out above almost everything similar within a 10-12 hour drive.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 10:06:50 PM »
My wife and I felt a real sharp jar going into the tunnel  from the helix that was never there before. If that’s the bump I hope it can be fixed.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

bfork1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 05:13:28 PM »
I just spoke with the director of maintenance and construction, a nice young man, I wouldn’t look for any correction. The “ accelerometer “ is saying all is well.  :(.  I know we are not imagining this. 

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »
Easy fix, Have the PTB take turns riding in the last car on each train. Bottom of Helix. That will fix the “accelorometer talking point” . Just fix that section. I love this ride and will ride again as is but dang it hurts.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 07:56:11 PM »
I call BS.  That section of track has settled.  My guess is they do not want to spend the money fixing it.  It would probably be about like putting piers in a house foundation.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »
We are definitely not imagining this bump.....

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 11:22:47 PM »
I call BS.  That section of track has settled.  My guess is they do not want to spend the money fixing it.  It would probably be about like putting piers in a house foundation.

Well you’d be incorrect because they’re literally having discussions right now on how and when to repair the ride (and not just this bump).  Sliding piers is not a new phenomenon.  Powder Keg has had several piers repaired and/or replaced over the years as have a few other rides.  The issue is that when you build a ride on fill dirt, over time it will settle and adjust.  It’s just what happens.  So back to TNT, they’re discussing the fix and hopefully it can be done before next season. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:14:53 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 02:17:18 AM »
^Awesome news. Hopefully the coaster will stick around for years to come still. For an Arrow Mine Train I still consider it a gem of a ride.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:19:22 AM by sdcfan88 »

bfork1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »

Well you’d be incorrect because they’re literally having discussions right now on how and when to repair the ride (and not just this bump).  Sliding piers is not a new phenomenon.  Powder Keg has had several piers repaired and/or replaced over the years as have a few other rides.  The issue is that when you build a ride on fill dirt, over time it will settle and adjust.  It’s just what happens.  So back to TNT, they’re discussing the fix and hopefully it can be done before next season.

I wish he had just been honest then and told me that instead of the BS about accelerometers.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »
It's like they say... When the accelerometer is a rockin... Don't come a knockin....

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »

I wish he had just been honest then and told me that instead of the BS about accelerometers.

Because he isn't in admin or PR, he very likely doesn't have clearance to say anything.  And by doing so, it could easily put his job in jeopardy since he would be "speaking for the company" when he's not authorized.  And he very likely was being honest.  Accelerometers will show changes in g-forces, but they often won't show "bumps" so it's quite possible that it's not registering what we're feeling.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.