Author Topic: Thunderation Bump  (Read 11865 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Thunderation Bump
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »
I rode Thunderation on Sunday, and one cannot help but notice the VERY rough bump that others have mentioned. Do some of the coaster experts know what's going on? Is that a fixable issue? It needs to be addressed.

JustGoHogs

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderation Bump
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »
Thunderration has always been a very bumpy ride.  Haven't ridden recently but it's hard to imagine that it's significantly worse.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
Thunderation Bump........sounds like one of those new fangled dance moves the youths are coming up with.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
Maybe that's what's missing from Moonlight Madness dance parties - themed dance moves:

The Wildfire Slide

The Flume

The Taffy Pull

The Teacup Spin

The Mystic Spring

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:24:26 AM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »
Thunderration has always been a very bumpy ride.  Haven't ridden recently but it's hard to imagine that it's significantly worse.

There is one specific place where it is noticeably worse. In fact, it's downright painful.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
I have completely stopped riding it because of that bump.  It never used to be like that.  I got worse when they started the earth work for TT.  It is REAL bad this year.  It seems like the track foundation has settled quite a bit in that spot.  I never had any problems with TNT before but that one bump is now too much for me.  The sad part is I love riding TNT.  Even my 10 year old wont ride it anymore.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »
I have completely stopped riding it because of that bump.  It never used to be like that.  I got worse when they started the earth work for TT.  It is REAL bad this year.  It seems like the track foundation has settled quite a bit in that spot.  I never had any problems with TNT before but that one bump is now too much for me.  The sad part is I love riding TNT.  Even my 10 year old wont ride it anymore.

I was gonna mention that too. As much as I hate to admit it as I do like Time Traveler, it was around  late 2017 I first started noticing the bump and yeah it seems to have gotten worse. I am betting the heavy equipment used around that vicinity installing the final launch and overbanked turn might have attributed to it. This also makes me wonder about the staff comments that were worried for its future when I visited last. It would be a pretty tragic loss to lose this coaster from the park. Hopefully something gets addressed in the off season.

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »
Last car ride on Saturday. It was bad but I won’t stop riding. The bruise on my right side will heal, right?

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
If SDC replaced Thundetation with a Taron style ride, i'd be giddy as all get out. We loved, loved, loved our rides on Taron, feeling that little splash as you launched up a waterfall. Awesome, that airtime hill, oh my.

I say Taron as that ride is low and would be a great fit for that area. Never above the trees.

SDC needs to stop being cheap on faux rock rock. Time Traveler screamed for a falling in a misty rock tunnel out of the station.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »
If SDC replaced Thundetation with a Taron style ride, i'd be giddy as all get out. We loved, loved, loved our rides on Taron, feeling that little splash as you launched up a waterfall. Awesome, that airtime hill, oh my.

I say Taron as that ride is low and would be a great fit for that area. Never above the trees.

SDC needs to stop being cheap on faux rock rock. Time Traveler screamed for a falling in a misty rock tunnel out of the station.

Yes.  Let’s tear out the one true family coaster and replace it with a Taron coaster.  Yes that makes complete sense.  SMDH.  Good Grief. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »
I haven't been this year....where is the bump at?  After the station? Before the helix? On the helix? after the tunnel and before the lift (where I assume)?  By TT?

Is it a dip in the track?  Does it slow the train down?  Just give a jolt up/down/sideways?

You guys aren't very descriptive...lol  How am I supposed to keyboard engineer a fix?

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »

Yes.  Let’s tear out the one true family coaster and replace it with a Taron coaster.  Yes that makes complete sense.  SMDH.  Good Grief.

SMH too. The best mine coaster I have ever ridden. This one is a gem and needs to be Preserved.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »
I haven't been this year....where is the bump at?  After the station? Before the helix? On the helix? after the tunnel and before the lift (where I assume)?  By TT?

Is it a dip in the track?  Does it slow the train down?  Just give a jolt up/down/sideways?

You guys aren't very descriptive...lol  How am I supposed to keyboard engineer a fix?

If it is the same one as last year it is during the Helix. Close to the end.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 03:32:32 PM »
It is close to the end of the helix. It almost feels like you are hitting a pothole in your car. It's not a subtle dip. It's a very sharp, jarring feel.

bfork1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 04:20:14 PM »
Yes that’s exactly where it is and it is BAD.  I have talked to several people and they all complained too.