Author Topic: The Toby Show - absolutely amazing and SDC performers in it  (Read 2340 times)

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
I went to the new Toby Show today. I had seen the original as a kid and was actually at one of the last shows with my family when it was recorded for a public television special that never came out in about 1985. I had loved the show then... Wasn't sure what to expect with the new version...

First off, it was a dinner show and reasonably priced - was like $42 after tax for dinner and the show. And the dinner was very good. The performers were taking care of the tables which seemed a bit odd. Not sure if that was just for today or is an all the time thing. About 35 people in the audience but there should have been so many more.

The show itself deviates some from the original. Shad and Mollie's parts were not acted. They had some pictures and all as an homage to them. The jokes are corny but hilarious. Dana and Dan Embree are in at as well as one of the street troupe girls (I think her name is Sadie). And the piano player who was there at the last performance I saw of the original (Rick Medlin) was playing the piano at this one. I always liked him. He has a catchy personality.

Anyway, the show was great. The small crowd was very into the show. Laughingand being into it. This show deserves much larger audiences. They improvised some and just were having a good time

Dan Embree took over the role of Zenus that seemed tailored to Wayne Milnes. I was unsure how he would do with that as I just remembered Wayne's zaniness and I had never seen Dan do to that. While he wasn't Wayne (no one could be), he was really funny. And did the role justice.

Everyone should go see this... It is Shad and Mollie's legacy really... And reminds me of the old shows SDC used to do. Unlike the abomination that is Reuben's Swashbuckling adventure

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: The Toby Show - absolutely amazing and SDC performers in it
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »
Definitely something I'd like to do.  When and where are the shows?
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »
At the Shepherd of the Hills theater on Tuesday and Thursday
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »