Author Topic: Theme Park Insider Names top 50 Rides, SDC MAKES the cut!  (Read 7676 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Theme Park Insider Names top 50 Rides, SDC MAKES the cut!
« on: June 29, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »

As voted by the readers of the site they have listed the top 50 attractions.
SDC made the cut, check out # 38

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/attractions/

Will this effect SDC thoughts about the future?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Theme Park Insider Names top 50 Rides, SDC MAKES the cut!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 11:10:20 AM »
That's pretty cool. Theme Park Insider is a great site, but no, a reader poll on a theme park site isn't going to sway any thoughts for the PTB. They do what they think they have to do at some point.

pintrader

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 12:11:44 PM »
I am going to predict there will be more push back on the removal of FITH than anything they have ever done at the park.  It may please some people they are building a new one (If that is true) but it will just not be the same.  Will it change their mind?  I doubt it but there will be a lot of unhappy season pass holders.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »
I agree 100% but believe in staying positive.  I believe people will not be pleased over the removal of FITH.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 05:22:24 PM »
I love FitH, but I'm honestly shocked to see it on that list, especially up that high.  But it's also a rather oddly compiled list, including not just rides but shows (Mickey and the Magician), parades (Festival of Fantasy at 46), night spectaculars (World of Color) and fireworks presentations (Happily Ever After).  And to say that FitH is a better ride than Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Monster's Inc, and Splash Mountain in Tokyo?  Or than Disneyland's Fantasmic?  Sorry.  There's absolutely no way.

FitH also, as much as I like it, in it's current condition doesn't even come close to comparing to the other dark rides on there, all of which really outclass it as far as quality goes- almost completely due to FitH's lack up upkeep.

I'm not surprised that Disney, and to a lesser extent Universal and Abu Dhabi, dominate that list.  If anything I'd almost say that it would be motivation to the PTB to scrap and replace FitH in an effort to actually have a ride that would deserve a place on the list.

One other thing to note- as much as I enjoy TPI as well, it's also a niche group and site that represents just a small select group of people and their views.  It's interesting to see SDC find a spot in it, but overall I don't think it means much.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 06:46:41 PM »
its good to see SDC recognized again..  for any reason..

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »
I love FitH, but I'm honestly shocked to see it on that list, especially up that high.  But it's also a rather oddly compiled list, including not just rides but shows (Mickey and the Magician), parades (Festival of Fantasy at 46), night spectaculars (World of Color) and fireworks presentations (Happily Ever After).  And to say that FitH is a better ride than Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Monster's Inc, and Splash Mountain in Tokyo?  Or than Disneyland's Fantasmic?  Sorry.  There's absolutely no way.

FitH also, as much as I like it, in it's current condition doesn't even come close to comparing to the other dark rides on there, all of which really outclass it as far as quality goes- almost completely due to FitH's lack up upkeep.

I'm not surprised that Disney, and to a lesser extent Universal and Abu Dhabi, dominate that list.  If anything I'd almost say that it would be motivation to the PTB to scrap and replace FitH in an effort to actually have a ride that would deserve a place on the list.

One other thing to note- as much as I enjoy TPI as well, it's also a niche group and site that represents just a small select group of people and their views.  It's interesting to see SDC find a spot in it, but overall I don't think it means much.

Well jeeze debbie downer, why are you even on this board? Get lost with this crap, FiTH is an outstanding ride.

PTB had better not remove this ride or replace it. As time traveler theme is any indication, theyd mess it up.

Classic and has soul. A favorite of many of my family, including my neices and nephews. Daughters arent old enough yet and if they take it out before they can ride Im done with season passes.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »

PTB had better not remove this ride or replace it. As time traveler theme is any indication, theyd mess it up.

Classic and has soul. A favorite of many of my family, including my neices and nephews. Daughters arent old enough yet and if they take it out before they can ride Im done with season passes.

Hope they can ride FITH this year or next...   I am pretty sure it is on the chopping block, and very soon :-\

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »

Well jeeze debbie downer, why are you even on this board? Get lost with this crap, FiTH is an outstanding ride.

Well excuse me for having an opinion.  Why am I on the board?  Really Bill?  3 years working at the park and lots of visits and a love for SDC.  But just because, as much as I love the park and love FitH I don't think it's in the same class as multimillion dollar attractions....  It could be if the park had bothered to invest in keeping it up, but they haven't done that.  And if you've experienced the others on that list (and I've got about 2/3rds of them under my belt) then the difference is clear.

Put SDC on the list for best shows, best atmosphere, best landscaping, great theming (though it's slipping there), best food... And a very good collection of rides.  But top 50 in the world?  Outlaw Run could make that list for best coasters pretty easy, and with a bit more theming I could put it on that list for best attractions.  Fire in the Hole might have been there years ago when it wasn't neglected and falling apart.  But outside of those, SDC just doesn't have anything in the same realm.  It's awesome it got this recognition, but I don't think it's a realistic fit.

But it's really sad that you think I shouldn't be posting here for thinking that.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
I won't miss FITH:  frankly, when I heard it was built, I was very upset.  I didn't want it to begin with!  It ruined the ambiance of "my" SDC (and led to even greater decline in all the other coasters).

But I certainly recognize that my singular perspective is both uncommon and unprofitable  ;)

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »
I won't miss FITH:  frankly, when I heard it was built, I was very upset.  I didn't want it to begin with!  It ruined the ambiance of "my" SDC (and led to even greater decline in all the other coasters).

But I certainly recognize that my singular perspective is both uncommon and unprofitable  ;)

You must be talking about something else besides FITH??  Surely the building of FITH in 1972 did not ruin your SDC experience.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »

I'm also confused.  Are you referring to Fire in the Hole, down by the Opera House, or something else?  When it was built there weren't any other coasters, so how did it lead to a decline in the others...

Explanation please, if you're willing.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »
Are we getting Wildfire mixed up with FitH?  That would make sense.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 08:32:27 AM »
I'll gladly explain.

*My* SDC was Shad Heller, the town square skits, the train, the FM (before the obnoxious guns), and the stage coach. 

My family moved from the area to St. Louis in '72 (and it was another ten years before I could come back to a much changed SDC).  I remember seeing TV commercials for FITH when it first opened, and I was dismayed that SDC had brought a roller coaster into an Ozark town.  Even that young, I felt that such a thing was seriously out of place.

We all have our point of impression with the city.  For some people, that point includes FITH (or WF or TNT or OR or TT . . . .).  Mine was early enough in the city's history that it predates ALL the coasters.  (I don't like coasters or such things in any case.) 

Look, I understand that they were probably needed for the city to grow and thrive and survive.  I understand that thrill rides bring in lots of people.  I get that many people enjoy them (I just don't get why).  So I accept the need for them and go on and enjoy the city by ignoring them as much as I can.  I'd still rather pay to go to SDC then be paid to go to any other theme park.

But I will not mourn the passing of the ride that, in my heart, changed the nature of the Ozark Mountain Village that a very young me fell in love with.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »
Palallin makes an interesting point. While I don't necessarily agree with him, this point has been made here before. "His" SDC is the pre-1972 SDC. He misses that era, and doesn't care for some of the later changes. "My" SDC is the SDC of the late-80's and early-90's, and I don't care for some of the later changes. For my kids, however, "their" SDC is the SDC of 2003-present, and they love the city as much as I did in the 1980's (and still do). Time marches on for everyone.

(However, if anyone from SDC is reading this, PLEASE do not kill-off Fire in the Hole and the Flooded Mine! They are the heart and soul of SDC!)  ;) ;) ;)