Author Topic: Touring Plan for Little Kids  (Read 2578 times)

galnar

• View Profile
Touring Plan for Little Kids
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »
Hello all! 

I am planning a trip to SDC in the next few weeks and am trying to figure out a few basic details.  My kids are smaller, 9, 7, 4 and we will be skipping the big thrill rides as I don't have anyone over 48"!  We will be visiting on a week day, but I am wondering when things get busier for the summer.  Would there be a noticeable advantage to visiting the week of 5/24 vs 6/10 for example?  This is the list of rides I have that I think we will want to do, is there a best way to attack these?  Only a few of them take Trailblazer, so I'm guessing that is not worth the money?  Does it really save you a bunch of time a la Disney's Fastpass?  Is there a meaningful touring advantage of rope dropping the park given the rides I'm looking it?   I get the sense that a lot of people here are local.  If this was your first trip here and you were from out of the area would you try to break it up over two days?  We will be staying at the campground next door and taking the shuttle. 

Grand Expo
Elephant March
Grand Expo Coaster (42/36)
Happy Frogs
Ladybugs
Racing Regatta
Royal Tea Party
Wings of Wonder
Wave Carousel
Galleon Boat swing (48/36)

Fireman's Landing
Fire Wagon Frenzy
Fire Spotter
Play Place
Fireman's Flyers
Dizzy Dogs
Up the Ladder

Midtown
Holler Playground
Grandfather's Mansion
Swinging Bridge

Hugo's Hill
American Plunge (48" / 36")
Fire in the Hole (48" / 36")
PowderKeg (bigger kids only?) (48/42)

Valley Road
Steam Train
Flooded Mine
Thunderation (48/42) - wooden coaster prolly not

Wilson's Farm
High Low Silos (48/40)

Sorry for the rapid fire questions and thanks in advance for the advice.  I'm used to Disney and Universal so my compulsive planning starts a year out instead of 2 weeks, lol

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Touring Plan for Little Kids
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »
So, sdc is definitely NOT Disney. You’ll find flexibility will go a long way in making your day great. It’s a good idea to know what you’d like to ride but don’t plan an order. You will find that everything is close together so it’s easy to hop all over the park to find a ride that doesn’t have a long line. You will find a much more relaxed environment.

I’d recommend the week of the 10th over the week of the 24th. Earlier in the week is better.. say Tuesday and Wednesday.

I’d be super surprised if your 9 year old is shorter than 48 inches. Your 7 year old may be over 48 inches as well. To get their official sdc heights go to the measuring station in the grand expo first. They will measure your kids and give them wrist bands that will expedite you getting in the rides.

Skip the trailblazer. It costs a lot and there is no good reason to have it for the rides you are looking at. The only one you might considering rushing too first is powder keg. We’ve seen the line well over an hour long this season but not often.

Most of these you will be able to do in a day. However, 2 days is a great idea too. Again, a slower pace here   Don’t compulsive plan it. Go with the flow and you will have a great time! 

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 03:52:59 PM »
American Plunge lines will get long if it’s a hot day, and if you like water rides Riverblast is one that everyone can ride. It’s hard to know what lines for those rides will look like this summer because they got rid of a water ride this offseason. Also, Thunderation technically is not a wooden coaster, though it is rougher than some other steel coasters.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »
Earlier in the week is better, and weekday is obviously better than weekend.  You'll find many of the rides you're after won't have much of a wait.

SDC is also about far more than the rides.  Be sure to take time to explore, see the craftspeople in their shops doing their work. Explore the stores.

And be sure to check out the entertainment.  It's absolutely worth making time to see the shows, and you can easily take a whole day doing just that as well.  Standby's like the Homestead Pickers and the Saloon show are great to see, and there will be plenty of other entertainment going as well.

I'd also say to not miss the cave, except it might be a bit much for the 4 year old.  But if you're up to an hour walk, the Marvel Cave is the whole reason that SDC even exists.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
Also keep in mind that 5-24 through 5-27 is memorial weekend, so it will be much busier..   

the following weekend is typically slower.

Yes, take your time, 2 days, maybe 3 depending on which pass you buy..

galnar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 06:46:01 PM »
Thanks again for all your great advice. We went last week and had a great time.  The park is quaint and fantastic.  It was awful hot Thu snd Fri so I think we’ll time our trip a little differently.  Thanks again.