Author Topic: I am a complete moron  (Read 5206 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
I am a complete moron
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
So we got there at opening today and rode TT first.  After getting off the ride I discovered I no longer had my iPhone.  Crap.  At that moment I realized I left it in my shirt pocked and not in my pants pocked or in our back like normal. Completely forgot about it.  It must have fallen out during a loop and I didnt even notice.  I was the dummy today I normally make fun of as to how somebody could be so stupid as to lose their phone on a ride.  Reported it to the ride operator but of course they wont go looking until park closes.  The bad part is, rain is moving in and it is supposed to rain all night I think.  We were only here last night so now I will have to stay another night and go back tomorrow.  When we got to the hotel I logged into my icloud account to locate my phone and I can see where it is on the sat map but that shows the area before the ride was put in.  I set it to lost mode and a few minutes later received an email that it was found.  I assume that means maybe they found it because a message will pop up on the screen saying it is lost and if somebody finds it they can report it found on the device.  Never have used this feature before so just guessing.  Anyway, here is a screen shot.  Looks to me like this might be where the building is.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: I am a complete moron
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »
I hope you get it back, but be sure and let us know how all this turned out.  I've never used "phone locate" before, but good info to know.  Mine fell onto the floor in a bathroom in Maui, and I was in panic mode.  Hubs called my number and left a msg. to whoever might find it, and - I got it back! A Starbucks employee found it, heard it ringing, and answered it.  Talk about a stroke of luck (and an honest person)!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 04:07:34 PM by Gilligan »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
I lost this phone in Mexico last  year.  It fell out of my pocked in the bathroom!  I looked over the whole resort then remembered the bathroom.  As I was going in a worker was coming out and had found it. That was lucky.  Anyway, since I received an email that it had been found we headed back up to the city in the pouring rain.  It was really a ghost town this time and we rode TT again.  We were the only ones on the ride.  Asked the operator and they said they did not have it.  I am not sure why it says it was reported found if it has not been.  I wonder if somebody picked it up down there but it just has not been turned in yet.  I will go back tomorrow and pray it has.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 05:53:10 PM »
This happened to me on Out Law Run.  Iphone in a life proof case.  I watched it dance in front of my eyes as if to say " Just try .....".   I waited buy didn't hear back from SDC for a cpl of days.  I went to Wal-Mart the next day and bought a straight talk I phone 6 or $120.  The cloud loaded it all right up.  Very inconvenient but not the worst.
Sorry for your luck I know how it feels.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
I am not too worried about the phone because most things should be backed up and it is a company phone so I can simply order a new one, no big deal.  The big problem is going to be come Monday morning nobody will be able to contact me via phone or text for work.  I can probably try to dig up an old phone and get it activated while I wait for the new one to arrive, if it comes to that.  What I still find amazing is I never noticed the phone leaving my pocket.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 08:12:38 PM »
A similar thing happened to me last year. I was at the park in early June with my brother. While in line for PK I was checking my phone. When it came to our turn it board, phone was in my side pocket as usual. We get off the ride and start walking. I feel odd, so I check my pocket, no phone. Uh oh. Go right back to PK. Ask the operators if they've seen it on the platform in case I actually dropped it while putting it in my pocket. No luck. So I fill out a lost and found form. Get home, check my iCloud, phone located somewhere near the PK location. I don't have much faith in getting an operating phone back at this point so I file a claim with insurance, get the phone remotely wiped and deactivated, and wait for my new phone to arrive. A few days later my dad gets a call from SDC, as I had listed his number as a contact in case I couldn't get my phone replaced, and they had found my original phone. Go up to the park to retrieve it and aside from a dead battery it was in complete working order! So maybe give it a couple days and it'll be retrieved. Probably unfortunately be waterlogged and useless by this point but stranger things have happened.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
A similar thing happened to me last year. I was at the park in early June with my brother. While in line for PK I was checking my phone. When it came to our turn it board, phone was in my side pocket as usual. We get off the ride and start walking. I feel odd, so I check my pocket, no phone. Uh oh. Go right back to PK. Ask the operators if they've seen it on the platform in case I actually dropped it while putting it in my pocket. No luck. So I fill out a lost and found form. Get home, check my iCloud, phone located somewhere near the PK location. I don't have much faith in getting an operating phone back at this point so I file a claim with insurance, get the phone remotely wiped and deactivated, and wait for my new phone to arrive. A few days later my dad gets a call from SDC, as I had listed his number as a contact in case I couldn't get my phone replaced, and they had found my original phone. Go up to the park to retrieve it and aside from a dead battery it was in complete working order! So maybe give it a couple days and it'll be retrieved. Probably unfortunately be waterlogged and useless by this point but stranger things have happened.

My phone is still online as of now and it has been raining for a while.  It appears to have survived the initial fall anyway but lord knows if it will survive the night sitting out there in the rain.  I sure hope they do actually have maintenance folks out there like the said they do collecting lost items.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »

My phone is still online as of now and it has been raining for a while.  It appears to have survived the initial fall anyway but lord knows if it will survive the night sitting out there in the rain.  I sure hope they do actually have maintenance folks out there like the said they do collecting lost items.

I can obviously only speak to my experience, but it does seem like they do follow up on that. Like you I beat myself up for quite a while losing my phone that way.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:46:38 PM »
So I now have the phone back and here is how it went down.  Arrived at the park around 9:30  before opening this morning and headed on down to the TT.  Talked to the ride workers and they said nothing had been found, no guarantees it would be found.  Headed back up to lost and found.  Nothing turned in.  They said when maintenance checked the ride they were concerned about the ride safety and not my phone, but if they happen to see it they would turn it in.  I get that. Headed down to the square and watched the opening ceremony.  My wife went to school years ago with Larry, the big tall guy who is one of the performers there.  He was doing the flag raising so we went and told him the situation.  He got one of the dudes who is in charge of maintenance to come over.  He walked us down to the TT and talked to the workers.  He said since the ride was closed because it was too cold to run he would see about getting somebody to go down and look.  He made a call on the radio and a few minutes later a couple of other people showed up.  He said that because of the rain overnight it might not be safe to send somebody down now but he would check.  If it was too wet, they would send somebody down there later this afternoon.  Well we were not planning on spending much time there but figured we could go ahead and ride some rides and maybe watch one of the shows and see if they turn it up.  We went and got on the FM.  About as soon as the ride started we got a call on the wife's phone.  Evidentially they went on down and found it and it was now up at lost and found.  It seemed it fell out at the drop right out of the building.  Not surprising the screen is destroyed and the phone is not usable.  I dug out and old phone and will have our hardware guy at the office transfer my number to this one until my new phone arrives.  Hopefully I will be able to download everything back onto it from the icloud.  I guess when you know people who work there, you can get things done quick!

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
Happy to hear that you got the phone back, but sadly not surprised at the condition it's in.  yes, knowing someone out there can certainly help move things along a bit, as I learned when I was working there and my son launched his off of Powder Keg.

I was afraid in the long run the rain wouldn't have mattered much as it was likely the fall would have got it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:06 PM »
Glad you got it back, too bad about damage.. 

Interesting that once again, it is who you know........ That helps gets results.. :)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
So they say that is a 10 story drop out of the station, so however many feet that is.  It is surprising the phone is not worse off than it was.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
So they say that is a 10 story drop out of the station, so however many feet that is.  It is surprising the phone is not worse off than it was.

In theory, 10 stories is 100 feet. 
Obviously landed on mulch and grass, had it hit one of the concrete blocks they used retained walls there would have parts of phone in Branson..... LOL

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:26 PM »
My son put his brand new Blackberry Pearl (to tell you how long ago this was!) in his cargo pocket before getting on Powder Keg... it was never seen again.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »
When I was at SDC at Christmas, I put my phone in the cubbies at Powder Keg then it was gone when I came back.  I talked to a ride operator by the exit and went back in to look for it and somehow the main ride operator had it. I still want to know how she ended up with it.