Author Topic: 2019 Daily Attendance  (Read 163245 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Daily Attendance
« Reply #510 on: January 02, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
Happy new year everyone!  This may not be allowed to be answered but how far in advance do they "budget" a day's attendance?   They seem to estimate way low on some days that I would have thought would be budgeted higher.  The week after Christmas seems an extremely popular time to visit.  I know they can't guess the weather accurately far in advance (for that matter neither can the National Weather Service) but it looks like they could guess a best case scenario as far as the weather is concerned (ie larger crowds).

Planning begins as soon as the Farmer's Almanac is published, Farmer's Almanac trumps the NWS, lol.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 02, 2020, 08:20:04 PM »
^ They know the weather- after all "They are farmers- bom de dom dom dom dom dom"  :)
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #512 on: January 02, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
I know they can't guess the weather accurately far in advance (for that matter neither can the National Weather Service) but it looks like they could guess a best case scenario as far as the weather is concerned (ie larger crowds).

The way I understand it is if they budgeted for the best case scenario for larger crowds, a lot of food would be wasted.   When they didn't hit their budgeted attendance when Miss Herschend was still alive, she would have the leftover food took to the church.   She would say "we are not wasting any food".   I would think it still would be pretty much on the same basis with all the food that needs to be made in advance.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 03, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
We went on Monday, December 30th. The budget was for 7,500 people but 13,172 showed up. From what I experienced, I can see how the budget affected food.

1. All Cinnamon Bread at the Mill was sold out by 6:00. They were making more as fast as they could and there was a line waiting.
2. When we got to the apple butter shop at 6:30, No apple turnovers were available there nor were they available at Eva and Delilah's.
3. The staff at Percey's was being very cautious and trying to stretch the cooked items as far as possible. I got a chicken bowl and the portions of rice, beans and chicken were so small they barely covered the bottom of the bowl. They filled the rest of my bowl with lettuce, cheese, etc. - so I guess you could say I had more of a salad than a burrito bowl.

We had a very enjoyable time, despite the budget being off and some of the food items we wanted being gone. I guess that gives us something to look forward to in March.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 09, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »
Been several days now, with no postings,
So i will be closing this thread,  and starting one for 2020.. 

should be a great year!!