Author Topic: 2019 Daily Attendance  (Read 161474 times)

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Daily Attendance
« Reply #405 on: October 25, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »
I both agree/disagree with the last 3 posts.  Pumpkin Nights was just "okay" for me - nothing special.  I loved the themed look of the pumpkins (and the evening hours), but... overall, more is needed than just piles of pumpkins.  The rest of the park took a nosedive for Fall, and I missed that!  Bring back the scarecrows, flowers, gourds, wreaths, banners, straw bales, flags, and garlands.  And, spread it throughout the park - not just pumpkin themed areas.  As far as the cowboy fest, I honestly never paid any attention to it until a couple years ago and realized what I was missing. It fits better than the pumpkin theme, even though those pumpkins are really pulling in families.  Losing Kent Rollins and Buck Taylor is a real loss, IMO. I miss the larger number of crafters, but I don't miss the cheap, crappy, Chinese made crap that made it's way into the park through quite a few vendors the last few years.

Sums up our family's feelings as well!  Well said.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 25, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »
I am in the minority here but what is so intriguing about pumpkins ?  I would not walk here to my garage to see a pumpkin. But a full blown crafts festival. YES. As long as the merchandise being created was new and relevant. BUt a carved pumpkin would put me to sleep very fast. I guess it does not take much to entertain people anymore.

^^^^
Couldnt agree more..

I guess "we" arent the Demographic they are shooting for anymore.. :-\

RJW

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 25, 2019, 09:54:27 AM »
I am in the minority here but what is so intriguing about pumpkins ?
Have you seen any of the amazing artwork done with these pumpkins? Have you experienced the beauty of how they are displayed, all lit up in the night? Then there is the rest of the activities in the plaza. With dance parties, a DJ, comedy magician.
Giant creatures like spiders, cats, and owls made from pumpkins.
I really don't know what you are looking at if you see of the advertising, but I know you must not be seeing Pumpkin Nights!

RJW

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 25, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
In all honesty you could put Harvest Crafts or cowboys with Pumpkin Nights and still would have had a large increase in attendance.  Shoot....you could have called it Tiddlywinks contest and Pumpkin Nights and still had a big spike in attendance.  Its pretty clear Pumpkin Nights is what is bringing them in.
But the Fall Crafts has been the Fall festival for as long as I have been visiting SDC, nearly 30 years. They started adding something with it some time back. Can't really remember when, but before the ciwboys I think it was harvest fest.
However nothing I can remember has had the overwhelmingly positive reaction as the Pumpkin Nights.

pintrader

« Reply #409 on: October 25, 2019, 11:23:07 AM »
But the Fall Crafts has been the Fall festival for as long as I have been visiting SDC, nearly 30 years. They started adding something with it some time back. Can't really remember when, but before the ciwboys I think it was harvest fest.
However nothing I can remember has had the overwhelmingly positive reaction as the Pumpkin Nights.

They may very well keep the Craft Days part of this festival going.  I mean SDC usually doesn't change things around too much when attendance is this good, they just expand.  My point is that no matter if it's crafts, cowboys or whatever it is going to be second fiddle with Pumpkin Nights.  Especially with such an increase in attendance that it has shown.  Your post seems to show that you think crafts are the driving force still in this festival and things are added to improve it.  Which at one time it was!  But with the success of Pumpkin Nights you can bet it will be the driving force for years to come.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 25, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
I am in the minority here but what is so intriguing about pumpkins ?  I would not walk here to my garage to see a pumpkin. But a full blown crafts festival. YES. As long as the merchandise being created was new and relevant. BUt a carved pumpkin would put me to sleep very fast. I guess it does not take much to entertain people anymore.

^^^^
Couldnt agree more..

Hear hear!

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 25, 2019, 02:00:22 PM »
I think the driving force here is later hours... I think they could have about anything in the evening and it be a success. Kids are mostly in school and most adults have jobs so that left most of the daytime SDC crowd for crafts festival older, retired people. I am neither older, nor retired but, prior to living in Springfield, would take a 3-4 days vacation just for the crafts every year. I bought many pieces including a couple of Buck Taylor's pieces. I loved the cowboy part of it as well... But then again, I like that genre (which looking at me is hard to believe as I've piercings and tattoos and bright red hair). But staying open until 9 or 10 lets the average adult go and often with families. I honestly believe if they did the cowboy part properly AND stayed open until 9 or 10, the attendance would also have gone up. Yes, the pumpkin thing is a draw... but I think it is honestly the later hours that are making the real difference

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 25, 2019, 02:28:24 PM »
I am in the minority here but what is so intriguing about pumpkins ?
Have you seen any of the amazing artwork done with these pumpkins? Have you experienced the beauty of how they are displayed, all lit up in the night? Then there is the rest of the activities in the plaza. With dance parties, a DJ, comedy magician.
Giant creatures like spiders, cats, and owls made from pumpkins.
I really don't know what you are looking at if you see of the advertising, but I know you must not be seeing Pumpkin Nights!

Yes I have and I still do not get it. As for the dance parties and party plaza they can take that kind of stuff outside the park. It is not SDC at all. You will just have to respect my opinion on this! I am entitled to it !!! I do not need some wedding DJ to tell me how to have a good time or be blasted with chinese made light up trinkets.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 25, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »

^^^^
Couldnt agree more..

Nope, I thought Christmas in midtown was gaudy enough but this is beyond that as far as out of theme it is. Looks like SDC is on its way downhill faster than I anticipated.

pintrader

« Reply #414 on: October 25, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
I think the driving force here is later hours... I think they could have about anything in the evening and it be a success. Kids are mostly in school and most adults have jobs so that left most of the daytime SDC crowd for crafts festival older, retired people. I am neither older, nor retired but, prior to living in Springfield, would take a 3-4 days vacation just for the crafts every year. I bought many pieces including a couple of Buck Taylor's pieces. I loved the cowboy part of it as well... But then again, I like that genre (which looking at me is hard to believe as I've piercings and tattoos and bright red hair). But staying open until 9 or 10 lets the average adult go and often with families. I honestly believe if they did the cowboy part properly AND stayed open until 9 or 10, the attendance would also have gone up. Yes, the pumpkin thing is a draw... but I think it is honestly the later hours that are making the real difference

I agree that the later hours are drawing a few more people into the park, it always does.  I mean just look at Moonlight Madness it always has a spike in attendance, but what we are seeing here is not just a spike.  In past years a really busy day this time of year is probably 10,000 to 12,000 people, but we are seeing 20,000 to 26,000 on a fairly consistent basis.  Just staying open 3 more hours could not be the driving force for this.  I really like the cowboy stuff also and hate to see it go but it probably did run it's course for now.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:23:28 PM by Pintrader »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »
Harvest Crafts VS Pumpkin Nights!  = Pumpkin Nights is the victor
Nope, Harvest Crafts and Pumpkin Nights = winner.
Harvest Crafts and lame cowboys = old, and stale.

While I agree the Cowboy Fest has lost some of it's luster in it's heyday it was grand!  Shows like The Pinkerton Man (or Woman depending on what version they did) in Echo Hollow, trick riders and ropers scattered throughout the park, Buck Taylor and friends, Kent Rollins, the mostly western circle acts (Joanie Harms, the excellent Sons of the San Joaquin,etc) and mainstream western performers such as Waddie Mitchell and Riders in the Sky made for an extra special day at the City!  That could very well exist as daytime entertainment while the Pumpkin Fest (and more importantly) extended ride times could cover the evening festivities.
I'm Your Huckleberry

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 25, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »
Harvest Crafts VS Pumpkin Nights!  = Pumpkin Nights is the victor
Nope, Harvest Crafts and Pumpkin Nights = winner.
Harvest Crafts and lame cowboys = old, and stale.

While I agree the Cowboy Fest has lost some of it's luster in it's heyday it was grand!  Shows like The Pinkerton Man (or Woman depending on what version they did) in Echo Hollow, trick riders and ropers scattered throughout the park, Buck Taylor and friends, Kent Rollins, the mostly western circle acts (Joanie Harms, the excellent Sons of the San Joaquin,etc) and mainstream western performers such as Waddie Mitchell and Riders in the Sky made for an extra special day at the City!  That could very well exist as daytime entertainment while the Pumpkin Fest (and more importantly) extended ride times could cover the evening festivities.

I do miss Kent Rollins this year. I love his simple approach to cooking good food and I felt like he fit right in at SDC. Very kind and helpful. We only use cast iron at home because of his demos at the park!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »
With the loss of Kent Rollins, Buck Taylor,  The Cowboy Poet, and the decreased number in Craft Booths the Cowboy/fall/Craft Festival just isnt the same..

Bring them Back!!  Could easily be scheduled for daytime activities. Give "us" something to look forward to and a reason to visit during this time of year. (again).

Then they can do the Pumkin thing at night,
for the kiddies,
and to separate mom and dad from their money..

Friday - - 12,100 people

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »
While I understand what you are saying about the 3 extra hours... think about it this way:

Let's say it the festival is pulling in 50-60% locals (2 hour drive or less) - which I believe it probably is because there have been higher than normal numbers not just on weekends. Local kids get out of school about 3PM... if they drive to SDC, that puts then there near closing... so why even go for an hour or less? When staying open until 9 or 10, it makes going much more palatable to parents. Or for that matter... local people who work until 5 and then drive... no point when closing at 6. But it makes it a bit more worth it if oen until 9 or 10.

The big question is are the hotels and the like seeing big spikes in people staying there? Or is it truly locals? I have been going to Bucket List and the Paddlewheel at Branson Landing a lot lately and I have not seen a huge spike in the number of people there or in Branson Landing that you would expect from vacationers. I mean, yes, weekend days at Branson Landing are generally nuts, but not as high as I would expect for people specifically vacationing for this festival.

My guess is that there has been a huge bump in attendance this year, but on same days I expect it to drop next year. As I struggle to believe that people are specifically going to plan vacations just for this festival. I believe the bump has been locals... I wish I had a way to prove that, though, other than what I have seen

pintrader

« Reply #419 on: October 26, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »

My guess is that there has been a huge bump in attendance this year, but on same days I expect it to drop next year. As I struggle to believe that people are specifically going to plan vacations just for this festival. I believe the bump has been locals... I wish I had a way to prove that, though, other than what I have seen

I am sure there are some late vacationers that are showing up to this festival, but I would say they are very few, most are as you say locals or season pass holders.  I think the increase in attendance is people who just like the Halloween atmosphere and season because Halloween is the fastest growing holiday in popularity and money spent over the last few years.  I really can't see a drop in attendance next year or for that matter years to come.  I mean there is so much they can do to expand this festival in the coming years that it looks like to me it will just get bigger.   I myself can take it or leave it, but with attendance numbers like they have received this year the PTB will take this festival as far as they can.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:06:12 AM by Pintrader »