Author Topic: 2019 Daily Attendance  (Read 161432 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Daily Attendance
« Reply #330 on: September 23, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
I'm very interested in Pumpkin Nights' attendance numbers. They've been hyping this all year on social media. I'm expecting it to do well and be a nice rebound from the slow summer SDC experienced.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »
I'm very interested in Pumpkin Nights' attendance numbers. They've been hyping this all year on social media. I'm expecting it to do well and be a nice rebound from the slow summer SDC experienced.

well tomorrow night is the kick off, so we will see if it starts off right away, or have to wait for the weekend, so the kids can come out and enjoy it.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2019, 03:28:47 PM »
Believe me, if I had money, I'd be there. I loved LumiNights SO much and I hope I get to see Pumpkin Nights in person, if not this year maybe next year.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #333 on: September 25, 2019, 07:32:20 PM »
I'll be out there tomorrow afternoon and evening to get some photos and video.  Looking forward to it.  I should have the video for it posted next Tuesday.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2019, 08:34:05 PM »
Real quick because I don't have much internet, I went to the City tonight.  I have to say at first I was very underwhelmed.  There are lots and lots of pumpkins and some flowers not yet blooming, but little else - no gourds, cornstalks, colored leaves, flags, garlands, etc.  The walkway into the park and the square had a lot of pumpkins and some of the booths are set up with vendors.  Nothing like last year!  Hugo's Hill Street had nothing nor did Midtown.

Everything is focused on Valley Road and the Grand Expo area. We stuck around until dark for a glimpse ...and it came alive!  Pumpkins were lit and grouped in themes - flowers, animals, birds.  Even the carnival games and the rides had themed pumpkins.  There was a camping scene set up of glowing pumpkins with a campfire, animals, and a lantern.  Very cool!  The large displays of pumpkins forming a cat, spider, owl, etc. were cute.  The black light party must've started early because the music was playing, employees were everywhere dancing with the crowd, and the blow up dancing tube guys (what are they called?} was all in gear way before dark. When the lights came on, I'll admit it was very cool!  Not many people there at all when I showed up about 4:30, but there was a decent crowd coming in as we left. I've never seen so many employees roaming the park.  At first, it seemed as though there were as many employees as paying guests.  I'm assuming they expected more people.  Hubs and I really did enjoy it and will go back soon.  I do wish more of the park was decorated (not just a few areas) and with more than orange and white pumpkins.  Hubs commented as we walked out that none of the pumpkins had light from the square past Delilah's, and he thought they should so that people leave with the feeling of "Wow" as they exit the park.  I agree with him!  I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:42:38 PM by Gilligan »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »
wed's numbers..   The PTB expected about 6000 people,    Actually had about 3300 show up for the first night.. 

I would expect that numbers to climb through the weekend, with a peak on sat night..  supposed to be nice weather and temps very decent..

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 26, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
I think this is where Dollywood has an advantage in that the main park pathway is a loop. Their LumiNights is basically the opposite of SDC's Pumpkin Nights in terms of where the main part of it is. In DW, the main loop of the park is decorated for LumiNights, so you see it pretty much everywhere, except over in the County Fair area (the DW version of Grand Expo). I imagine SDC will be running surveys and what-not to see what the guests liked most and least about Pumpkin Nights. This is the first year, so I know they're just dipping their toes in the water. Hopefully maybe next year they'll expand it. In fact, maybe that's their long-term plan - start small by keeping it just in the Expo area, then expand it into another area of the park the next year, so they can then advertise "Bigger, Brighter Pumpkin Nights!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »
I think this is where Dollywood has an advantage in that the main park pathway is a loop. Their LumiNights is basically the opposite of SDC's Pumpkin Nights in terms of where the main part of it is. In DW, the main loop of the park is decorated for LumiNights, so you see it pretty much everywhere, except over in the County Fair area (the DW version of Grand Expo). I imagine SDC will be running surveys and what-not to see what the guests liked most and least about Pumpkin Nights. This is the first year, so I know they're just dipping their toes in the water. Hopefully maybe next year they'll expand it. In fact, maybe that's their long-term plan - start small by keeping it just in the Expo area, then expand it into another area of the park the next year, so they can then advertise "Bigger, Brighter Pumpkin Nights!"

yes it is the first year...  they can see and hear whats going on and hwat people are thinkging/seeing..  adjust stuff for next year

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2019, 07:32:59 AM »
Day #2 for Pumpkin nights - 5600 people,

going to be hot and humid next 3 or 4 days, lets see if that affects the weekend numbers or not

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #339 on: September 27, 2019, 04:12:22 PM »
I'll post this on the trip reports thread as well.

We were at the park yesterday.  It was disappointing to see how many crafters were missing this year- much lower numbers and many of the favorites aren't there this time.  Which meant the square felt much lighter in numbers.

But the Pumpkin Nights was awesome.

We were there until about 7:30 and were very impressed by what they are offering for the new festival, and can't wait to see it grow.

And yes, crowds were pretty light.  Which means short lines for everything, and Echo Hollow being maybe 1/3 to 1/2 full.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
We were at the park yesterday.  It was disappointing to see how many crafters were missing this year- much lower numbers and many of the favorites aren't there this time.  Which meant the square felt much lighter in numbers.

The PTB need to make sure they dont loose the crafters, that has always been and will always be a good draw..(as long as they have crfaters there).   If they do away with them....  It will be a shame and the numbers will show it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »
Thats better!!!

10,000 people today, on a friday!!   Great!!

Anybody from here there tonight? how was it?

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 27, 2019, 09:57:43 PM »
I have been in Utah all week and am thinking about going up there tomorrow and Sunday.  I may just wait until next week and go Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday.  Looking for less busy days.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 27, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
More than a full crowd at Echo for Sawyer Brown

I didn't think that Echo Hollow was a good idea in the first place.

I had no idea it would sink that low.  ;)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 28, 2019, 12:01:31 AM »
Anybody from here there tonight? how was it?

We were there Wednesday and tonight. Completely different experiences. The place was empty on Wednesday night. The riverfront area was almost creepy because no one else was in that part of the park and some of the lights were out so there were some dark parts of the path. Tonight there were people thought the park and more lights had been added to the darker areas since Wednesday.
The new Pumpkin Plaza was much better tonight with a crowd than on Wednesday. Surprisingly, the Owl Hollow wooded trail wasn’t super packed tonight. We were afraid that it would be really hard to see the pumpkins on it with much of a crowd.
The hill from the square to Grand Expo was very crowded all evening. Not Saturday Christmas crowded, but still crowded.
Even with the larger crowd tonight, we still did everything that we wanted to do and had a great time.