Author Topic: 2019 Daily Attendance  (Read 161525 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Daily Attendance
« Reply #315 on: September 21, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »
It's been blanking hot. Need fall weather.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 21, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
Dang I should have made a trip up there Thursday or Friday.  I start a new job next week so will not be up there as often for "work".

I wonder if part of the problem is they have pushed so many people in there the last few years people are tired of the huge crowds and just not going as much.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 22, 2019, 07:29:42 AM »
Sat's number was a little over 10,000 people, 

I did see on FB that the Echo Hollow Show had a full crowd, which is good

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2019, 07:42:35 AM »
A lot of the attendance issue can be blamed on the weather. It rained the entire summer. We have had double the average rain fall. Now summer has finally arrived and it’s too late for families to go. September is also a time they expect a lot of older people to be at the park and it has been too hot for them to go.

I think losing lost river impacted attendance. Only 2 water rides at the park makes lines long. Like an hour and a half to get on river blast long. I’ve never seen lines for the plunge as I did this year.

We have been 10 times this year. Every single time, at least one of the rollercoaster photo places has been closed. Rides have been down for hours at a time. They aren’t running to capacity and are only running one “train” on rides even with hour lines. For 2 months there were no bags for the ball pit, so kids we’re using their shirts to carry balls to the shooters. Food lines aren’t staffed correctly so lines are incredibly long.

It’s just been a rough year. Not one thing will affect attendance like this, but added together, they can make a big impact. Hopefully next year will be better.  But I plan on enjoying *some* shorter wait times and better parking spots while they are available.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2019, 08:03:52 AM »
the rain?  yes, The rain..   been raining here since last november..  It has literally rained here every weekend for 5 or 6 weeks in the row, including today,,

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2019, 08:43:11 AM »
the rain?  yes, The rain..   been raining here since last november..  It has literally rained here every weekend for 5 or 6 weeks in the row, including today,,

So over the rain.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »
A lot of the attendance issue can be blamed on the weather. It rained the entire summer. We have had double the average rain fall. Now summer has finally arrived and it’s too late for families to go. September is also a time they expect a lot of older people to be at the park and it has been too hot for them to go.

I think losing lost river impacted attendance. Only 2 water rides at the park makes lines long. Like an hour and a half to get on river blast long. I’ve never seen lines for the plunge as I did this year.

We have been 10 times this year. Every single time, at least one of the rollercoaster photo places has been closed. Rides have been down for hours at a time. They aren’t running to capacity and are only running one “train” on rides even with hour lines. For 2 months there were no bags for the ball pit, so kids we’re using their shirts to carry balls to the shooters. Food lines aren’t staffed correctly so lines are incredibly long.

It’s just been a rough year. Not one thing will affect attendance like this, but added together, they can make a big impact. Hopefully next year will be better.  But I plan on enjoying *some* shorter wait times and better parking spots while they are available.

Like I said in another post, they need more flats, complimentary and similarly themed to acccompany  the Big new ride. It eats lines.

We have reached peak employment it seems, there's plenty of jobs to be had locally here but the unemployment rate is static. SDC is a different beast, as theme parks have gone to longer and longer seasons, they need more help other than summer seasonal. It is not to be found. Even summer seasonal is more scarce as teens are working less and less. (A bad thing in my opinion, they learn no work ethic and are just being taught in schools to take tests).

I'm all for an expansion of visa programs for these type of jobs. Seems SDC did that route a bit more back before the Great Depression.

And the weather was horrific for weekend fun in the Ozarks this year.  It is nearly 80 degrees at 9:30am on a Sunday in late Sept right now.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »
Just sheer opinion, but I dont want more flat rides tarting it up. For me, SDC isnt about how many rides can be shoved onto the real estate. But then again, we do not go from mid June to Sept 1 because we dont like the crowds or heat.

The weather has been a bit much this year. Wet, wet, wet, then hot, hot, hot. Just not enjoyable.

Again, pure opinion, an issue I have with working at SDC is the pay. Its not worth it by the time you factor in all the bills you have plus if you should have day care costs. Its a true struggle. (I know its not a job for adults) On the other side of things I get that its a minimum wage job due to all the other costs SDC has. Quite the balance they have to strike. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
Just sheer opinion, but I dont want more flat rides tarting it up. For me, SDC isnt about how many rides can be shoved onto the real estate. But then again, we do not go from mid June to Sept 1 because we dont like the crowds or heat.

The weather has been a bit much this year. Wet, wet, wet, then hot, hot, hot. Just not enjoyable.

Again, pure opinion, an issue I have with working at SDC is the pay. Its not worth it by the time you factor in all the bills you have plus if you should have day care costs. Its a true struggle. (I know its not a job for adults) On the other side of things I get that its a minimum wage job due to all the other costs SDC has. Quite the balance they have to strike.

The weather has been a major player this year for sure., and with the threat of rain today AND its Sunday, will be a low count again..

As far as their pay scale?
That doesnt have a thing to do with attendance, so if you want to "talk" about that,
please start a new thread.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2019, 02:56:37 PM »
Sat's number was a little over 10,000 people, 

I did see on FB that the Echo Hollow Show had a full crowd, which is good

More than a full crowd at Echo for Sawyer Brown - they ran out of standing room!  Very good concert! Sawyer played longer than the usual concert there; about l 1/2 hrs.  Very cranky people that couldn't find seats. I'd say downright pissed off people! It was announced several times that peeps in seats needed to move in to allow for others, but there was no where to move.  I think they should've cut off people allowed to enter when they reached the max.  We got there about 3 hrs. before the concert, and the line was already up to Main St.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2019, 03:46:18 PM »
I'm fully on the....need more flat rides....opinion.

Can you imagine what the ride lines would be like through the rest of the park if the strip of GE flat rides where closed on a busy day?  3 or 4 more modern flats through the park would be a huge help on crazy busy days. 

Not to mention I believe they seriously need another indoor attraction that can remain open during bad weather and cold weather.  The only 2 major rides open during rain and cold are the oldest ones in the park.  Beyond fixing/replacing them....may a indoor flat could be done?

Just need employees and money.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2019, 06:58:18 PM »
I'm not sure it's the rides - if rides were the draw, then SDC would be busier now than what is being experienced because people would hear that the lines would be short. The locals would be going because they know the crowd is small.

I think you'll see another big bump in attendance with the upcoming Harvest Festival and Pumpkin Nights upcoming. I know our family has been talking about this for a while and we love coming up during Oklahoma School's Fall Break. You'll see very big crowds the weekend on October 17, 18, 19th. We've talked about going the last couple of weeks, but because we want to go during Harvest Festival, the family decided to wait.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2019, 08:26:48 PM »
Sunday - 3200 people

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2019, 11:01:48 PM »
I feel like they should've started Pumpkin Nights at the beginning of September. All the other theme parks have their Halloween-related stuff going already.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 23, 2019, 08:04:33 AM »
I feel like they should've started Pumpkin Nights at the beginning of September. All the other theme parks have their Halloween-related stuff going already.

being as how this is the first year,I am sure there will some "changes" next year.   When it starts may very well be one of them..   Maybe not, they may not want pumkin nites to be on at the same time as country days.....   we will see