Author Topic: The SDCFans Lounge  (Read 128212 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: The SDCFans Lounge
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2008, 04:34:37 PM »
Any minor league fans? We have an independent team here, the Texarkana Gunslingers. This is their first season, but they're in second place going into the final weekend homestand. They stand a good chance of winning the league championship. We lost our most devastating closer to the Astros organization, though. If you see Jack "JT" Tilghman playing in the majors someday, just remember that I saw him first.  ;D

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2008, 08:46:27 PM »
We've got the Springfield Cardinals 40 miles away.  They're the AA affiliate of the Cardinals.  I usually get up to see them 3 or 4 times a season.  I've seen some of the guys who are up at the big team now.

Carp went on the DL again today.  I guess his triceps strain was a little worse than they originally thought.  As for Izzy, I have to agree it's time to let him go.  It seems like for the last 3 or 4 seasons, he makes the end of the game just a little more "exciting" than I would like it to be.  And this year, well... he's completely lost it.  But...Perez has been looking real good.  I saw him in Springfield a couple of years ago; he was lights out.  I think, for better or for worse, let him be the closer for the rest of the season.

Your wife's a Cub fan, huh.  Don't tell me... you married her because she had a great looking boat?  You know...some of those congenital defects can be corrected with surgery.  Seriously, I'm sure she's a real fine lady.  I guess I'm lucky that my wife is more fanatical about the Cards than I am.  She doesn't have a boat though. :'(
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sdcforever

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »
^I'm originally from Springfield, so I have been to several Springfield Cardinals games.  It's cool to see the players starting out, and then see them join the Cards and play in the big leagues.  Hammons Field is a nice venue too.

I think it was inevitable for Carp to go on the DL.  Like LaRussa said, 15 days is the earliest he'd be able to start again (when you count being able to play catch two or three days from now and then progressing to throwing from a mound again) so they might as well have put him on the DL.  Plus, I think they're bringing up Brian Barton again if they haven't already.  This frees up a roster spot for him too.  (Why they didn't apply this logic to Ankiel, I wish I knew.  He should've gone on the 15 day DL with that abdominal strain).

As for Perez, he looks great now that he developed his slider more while he was in Memphis.  He's our closer now, in my opinion.

We looked terrible today.  How many times now have we gotten to 14 games over .500?  Why can't we ever get over that hump to 15 games over?

I watched most of the Dodgers/Brewers game today on TBS.  Man, that was exciting stuff!  Heartbreaking for the Brewers, of course.  To tie it up by scoring four runs in the ninth, only to lose it in the bottom of the ninth on a walkoff homerun!  I'm not shedding any tears for them, though.  We didn't lose any ground in the wildcard race! :D

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2008, 02:02:26 AM »
Bringing up the Cardinals again... is it just me, or do we seem to keep getting beat up by ex-Cards?

Suppan... Edmonds... Marquis... and now Eckstein too!

sdcforever

« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »
^It's true.  I've noticed that as well.  What frustrates me more is the fact that we keep beating ourselves.  Errors, leaving guys on base, terrible at-bats with runners in scoring position, and bad baserunning.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2008, 11:49:45 PM »
It's really sickening isn't it.  At the AS break, we were right in the thick of things, leading the wild card and close on the heals of the ...ahemmm....for the division lead.  Now a little more than an month later, we're slipping out of even wild card contention.  Haven't been able to use Carp and Waino like we thought we might, and timely hitting is non-existent.  There's still a chance for post season play, but it's quickly dwindling to between slim and none

Bright side-- Wainwright looked very good tonight.

sdcforever

« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »
^He did look very good tonight (I don't think I've ever seen his curve look that good before), and so did our offense for the (gasp!) second game in a row!

Carp looked good in relief.  It's nice to see him hitting 94 with his fastball.  We picked up a game on the Brewers for the wild card.

As for the Small Bears, worry is kicking in, I think.  They've now lost four in a row, at home, no less.  And Big Z is being examined today.  He looked bad last night in his 5 innings, 86 pitch, appearance.  He was pitching on seven days of rest, so I think it might be more than arm fatigue.  Quietly the club also announced that Rich Harden was being skipped when he came up in the rotation for "precautionary reasons".  Cubs fans are starting to sweat a little bit...

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41:21 PM »
How 'bout them Royals?  ;D
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2008, 10:14:12 PM »
^I like the Royals.  I'm just glad they won't lose 100 games this year.

I'm also glad the Yankees will miss the playoffs.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2008, 10:34:55 PM »

This is why I live for baseball.

sdcforever

« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »

This is why I live for baseball.

I have a saying:  You are either a baseball fan or a Yankee fan.  You cannot possibly be both. :)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »
That's great!  Can I use it?  Could apply to the cubs also couldn't it.

sdcforever

« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2008, 11:37:12 PM »
^Sure, you can use it.  And you can apply it to the Cubs also, if you like.

sdcforever

« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
Well, after only 3 games it's already safe to say this about Missouri's NFL teams:  Hey, it's only five months until MLB spring training starts!

The Chiefs are terrible.  The Rams are even more terrible.  I couldn't believe it when Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star declared the Chiefs the worst team in the NFL.  He must not have to watch the Rams play each week.  Lucky guy.  Statistically, the Rams have the worst overall offense and defense.  It shows.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
Don't get me started on the Chiefs sdcforever  ;D. I'm a diehard fan and it is hard to watch them anymore (but of course I do). I do think that the Chiefs will be playing a lot better by the end of the season. We're just young and we need to learn to win. Once Brodie is healthy again I think we'll do better. On a side note from that though, Hern and Chan Gailey need to learn how to run an offense, playcall, and learn how to make a gameplan. Right now, it appears that the Chiefs have no idea what they're doing.

I was at the Raiders game at Arrowhead two weeks ago, and I can still say this: Chiefs fans are still the most passionate in the NFL. The excitement for this team to start winning is huge and once we start to win, the Chiefs and the state of our franchise will be back to normal.

Hey, but at least the Chiefs are the best team in Missouri!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."