Author Topic: The SDCFans Lounge  (Read 129181 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: The SDCFans Lounge
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
If anyone is interested in this type of thing, there is a really good speaker scheduled for tonight at the Coleman Theater in Miami, OK.  His topic is Creationism, and he will be putting dinosaurs and other things into the creation timeline.  He has a talent for putting a lot of difficult information into words and pictures we can all understand.  Last night, he spoke on Atheism's Attack on America and kept us captivated for 90 minutes.  The presentations tonight, which include a quick-moving PowerPoint, begins at 6:30. 
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
^Sounds really interesting!  Wish I could go, but alas, I live in northeast Missouri so it's not possible. :(

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »
I'd really love to go to that also.  One of these days I'm going to make it out to that new creation museum in Kentucky.  It just really saddens me that so much of America has fallen for the evolution myth, and the fact that the schools are forced to teach it and exclude the Bible.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2008, 10:24:06 PM »
It was awesome.  He proved a six day creation, the effects of the flood, and so much more.  Using science and the Bible side by side all along.  If you ever here of Brad Harrub coming close to you, go see him.  He spoke for over two hours tonight and it seemed like about 45 minutes.  You can also look him up on the web.

sdcforever

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »
^I'll keep an eye out for him.  I wish more people would realize that the Bible/religion and science must coexist.  It's not an either/or thing--you can't have science without religion.  It doesn't make sense.  Even scientists say that an omnipresent being (God) had to have initiated the creation of the universe.  It couldn't have happened all by itself.  This either/or thing with science and religion reminds me of how so many people separate their everyday lives from their prayer lives.  You can't just set aside one or two hours a week for church, then forget about it the rest of the week.  God has to be present in every aspect of your life.  Your relationship with God has to be an all-the-time thing, or it can't grow and flourish like it should.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 10:37:47 PM by sdcforever »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2008, 11:01:35 PM »
It was awesome.  He proved a six day creation, the effects of the flood, and so much more.

Not to detract from your discussion, but I will only note that "convinced" does not equal "proved".

I like the version from Good Omens:

Current theories on the creation of the Universe state that, if it was created at all and didn't just start, as it were, unofficially, it came into being between ten and twenty thousand million years ago. By the same token the earth itself is generally supposed to be about four and a half thousand million years old.

These dates are incorrect.

Medieval Jewish scholars put the date of the Creation at 3760 B.C. Greek Orthodox theologians put Creation as far back as 5508 B.C.

These suggestions are also incorrect.

Archbishop James Usher (1580–1656) published Annales Veteris et Novi Testamenti in 1654, which suggested that the Heaven and the Earth were created in 4004 B.C. One of his aides took the calculation further, and was able to announce triumphantly that the Earth was created on Sunday the 21st of October, 4004 B.C., at exactly 9:00 A.M., because God liked to get work done early in the morning while he was feeling fresh.

This too was incorrect. By almost a quarter of an hour.

The whole business with the fossilized dinosaur skeletons was a joke the paleontologists haven't seen yet.

This proves two things:

Firstly, that God moves in extremely mysterious, not to say, circuitous ways. God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players,* to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infi nite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

Secondly, the Earth's a Libra.

;D

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »
I'll take that.  Obviously he hasn't proven it to most people in the world.

The "convincing" is pretty thorough, through evidence of population growth rates, growth of the Sahara desert, lack of a larger Mississippi delta, fossil data that's been left out of the evolutionist textbooks that are prevalent in schools at all levels, fossil, archaeological, and anthropological evidence that shows geological timelines to be severely misconstrued, dinosaur soft tissue that somehow has not decayed after all those millions of years, ice age evidence in the glacial record, evidence through the results of the Mount St. Helens Eruption, the formation of canyons, including the Grand Canyon, and much more.  He also described all the "missing links" that have been put forth and hypothesized.  I don't want this to become a discussion of the issue, however; I just want to encourage people, whether Christian, Agnostic, Atheist, or just people with questions, to go see this guy if you get the chance.  He's definitely well-versed and unafraid of hard questions or even accusations and challenges.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:52:24 PM by History Buff »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »
Fair enough. I also encourage people to spend time at Reasons To Believe, a group of evangelical Christian scientists.

http://reasons.org/resources/apologetics/index.shtml#young_earth_vs_old_earth

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
betamike came out to the park today and stopped by to see me at the Opera House.  What a nice guy he is.  I was really impressed that he took the time to come by and see me.  An usher came in to tell me I had visitors and I thought it was my mother and father or something like that.  I walked out the door and saw two people whom I didn't recognize, and then he said "Hi, I'm betamike."  What a surprise!  He was with his mother.  I took them inside the OH and showed him what we were working on-- turnover from the magic show to our next production- "Headin West."  We chatted for 20 or 30 minutes. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say it was a real pleasure to meet him-- a fellow SDCFans.com member.  If any of you other guys or gals come out, please feel free to look me up.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »
Really cool.  I'll try to make it by next time we're out - probably sometime in the fall.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »
Zephon, I like your avatar.  ;D 8)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
Thanks!  I've got mixed feelings about this season.  The Cards are doing much better than they were projected to do which is great.  On the other hand, that just gets our hopes up for another post season appearance, and I'm afraid they just don't quite have the pieces to make it.  They seem to be fading a bit.  It's not out of the realm of possibilities, but it doesn't look good.  I look for good things for next year though, when we have Carp and Waino back.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »
Anyway, I just wanted to say it was a real pleasure to meet him-- a fellow SDCFans.com member.  If any of you other guys or gals come out, please feel free to look me up.

I've seen Copper at the park once before but I was too shy to go talk to him.  :P Maybe I'll come out of my "shyness when meeing people from the internet phase" next time I'm at the park.  ???
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
Thanks!  I've got mixed feelings about this season.  The Cards are doing much better than they were projected to do which is great.  On the other hand, that just gets our hopes up for another post season appearance, and I'm afraid they just don't quite have the pieces to make it.  They seem to be fading a bit.  It's not out of the realm of possibilities, but it doesn't look good.  I look for good things for next year though, when we have Carp and Waino back.
We'll get Waino back this year, I'm sure.  Carp, I'm doubtful about that.  Our bullpen has obviously been the weakest link.  I think Izzy might be done after this year.  We'll be dumping a lot of salary money once this year is over, so we'll be able to re-sign a lot of players.  Ludwick is arbitration eligible after this season, and that will be interesting to watch.  I'm excited about next year, but I feel we need to get an impact bat at the SS or 2B position.  I wonder if we are overvaluing our prospects...are they really as good as the front office believes?  Certainly the other front offices don't think so.  The only one they're really excited about is Rasmus.  We covet almost all of our prospects.  Next year will be interesting, especially with our starting rotation.  Who's in and who's out?  Will we re-sign Lohse in the off-season?  His value has been decreasing lately as his ERA goes up.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »

Dunno about Carp. It's a shame, he was such a promising young pitcher out of NH.

Just so long as Isringhausen goes, I'll be happy. The most frustrating pitcher I've ever watched. Flashes of brilliance and perfect execution, separated by chokes and blown saves.

I'm a lifelong Cards fan, but I wound up marrying a congenital Cubs fanatic. We compromise by hating the Yankees.  ;D

(I even bought her a t-shirt that reads "JESUS HATES THE YANKEES!")