Author Topic: The SDCFans Lounge  (Read 129083 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The SDCFans Lounge
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2008, 07:08:51 PM »
How did you all spend the 4th of July? I was in Philadelphia where the country started! It was so neat. We went to a huge fireworks show at night (I like Magic Kingdom's better though). During the day, we toured historic Philadelphia which is really amazing. Great architecture. The Liberty Bell is awesome. We wanted to go in Independence Hall but it was a two hour wait. It was a lot of fun. Hershey was also amazing. We did that July 3rd I think.

I can post pics later but I'm on the hotel computer right now. Still gone.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:16:07 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »
My new guilty pleasure - the National Treasure movies.  It's just enough to get people interested in history again.  I think they should have Ben Gates in the Hall of Presidents at Disney, explaining about real national treasures - including the presidents.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »
^ Hmmmmm...that would be good synergy.  I'll see how far up the flagpole I can run that! 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »
Just let me have the credit.  It could be so cool - and open up a new range of souvenirs for Disney.  Maybe I have one of those million dreams!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:13:25 PM by History Buff »

sdcforever

« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
My new guilty pleasure - the National Treasure movies.  It's just enough to get people interested in history again.  I think they should have Ben Gates in the Hall of Presidents at Disney, explaining about real national treasures - including the presidents.

I like those movies as well!  Definitely popcorn films.  You have to shut your brain off and just let it sink in, the plots are so outrageous!  They do a good job of throwing historical tidbits in there and twisting them around a little for the treasure hunts.  I read that they want to do a third movie, which might tell us what exactly is on page 47...

Also they have said that it is getting harder and harder to find enough US history for a good third movie (we are a very young country) so this next film will probably be more like "International Treasure".  Rumors are floating around that it will have the Gates family traveling to Easter Island to look for the lost city of Atlantis and the perfect, clean power source which was supposed to have powered the sunken city.  The family's goal is to use it to end global warming.  Sounds interesting enough to me! :)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »
The National Treasure movies are great thriller/suspense movies, and I also hope they revive interest in history... so that people will learn how utterly full of cow patties the movies were!  ;D

We spent the weekend watching the HBO series "John Adams" on DVD. I really enjoyed how the heroes' flaws aren't masked. The founding fathers had lumps, bumps, and warts -- there's nothing wrong with admitting it. They shouldn't be cleansed of their sins for having founded this nation, nor should they be burned at the stake for being less than perfect. They were what they were, and I appreciate that they left us something better than themselves.

As Dr. Franklin famously said, "...a republic, madam, if you can keep it."

I fear we've already lost it, but I continue to fight for it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2008, 12:16:09 AM »
Anyone here go to many concerts? I just got back from a mewithoutYou show, which was absolutely amazing; probably the best show I've been to.

mewithoutYou is one of those bands that come along every blue moon and just blow you away with their uniqueness and their raw talent. Their shows are so full of energy and so artistic. They don't just sing songs, they really dive into it all. People bring food to their shows to share with everyone else, and they always pass out instruments to the crowd so everyone can join in. It's a really different experience, though it looks like some type of crazy hindu festival.

If they ever come by your area, be sure to go - there's no other band that can offer that kind of experience. They are very religious, but in a good way.

sdcforever

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2008, 09:19:19 AM »
^I actually don't care much for mewithoutYou's music, but I'm glad you had a good time at their concert.  I do like some Christian music, like Switchfoot, Jars of Clay, and Future of Forestry.

I have been to many, many concerts.  Here are some highlights.  Growing up we used to go to the ol' Route 66 Music Festival in Joplin, MO.  So I got to see some old school acts, like Kool and the Gang, Journey, REO Speedwagon, STYX, Joan Jett, and Foreigner.  I saw Johnny Cash when he came to Branson in the mid-90s.  I've also been to some contemporary shows.  I've seen Goo Goo Dolls, Vanessa Carlton, Third Eye Blind, Rilo Kiley, Steven Curtis Chapman, Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin, and Nichole Nordeman.  I've also seen Phantom Planet, Sting, Lifehouse, The Calling, and Kanye West.  The greatest live show I've ever seen is U2, and I've seen them twice.  They are worth every penny!  They're coming out with a new album in October and planning a world tour starting next spring.  If they come to within reasonable driving distance and you're lucky enough to get tickets, definitely go see U2.  It is a spiritual experience to say the least. 

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
Also they have said that it is getting harder and harder to find enough US history for a good third movie (we are a very young country) so this next film will probably be more like "International Treasure".  Rumors are floating around that it will have the Gates family traveling to Easter Island to look for the lost city of Atlantis and the perfect, clean power source which was supposed to have powered the sunken city. 

Ooh, I hope not.  I already have the next installment written in my head - how Jefferson sent Lewis and Clark to look for treasure hidden by Napolean, but under the guise of searching for a northwest passage.  Clues at Monticello, etc. - perfect for page 47.  Making an international treasure is fine, but only with the American history theme.  It would be great to include other generations of the Gates family; aren't there some books about them?

sdcforever

« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
^There are some books written about them that tie in to the movies, the Gates Family Mysteries.  They could base a third movie off one of those books if they wanted.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »
^^That sounds a lot better than some International Treasure.

I've been to a few concerts but not for a long time. I'll be going to Heartfest on July 19th at Worlds of Fun. It'll be fun, I'm excited.

http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/news/special_events.cfm?mode=story&current_root=149&story_id=191

sdcforever

« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2008, 08:16:28 AM »
^Heartfest does sound like fun.  It seems like an odd lineup:  MercyMe along with Tenth Avenue North and Hawk Nelson?  Totally different sounds there.  It's good to see Mark Stuart of Audio Adrenaline still around.  I was sad to see Audio A call it quits last year.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
^Yeah but maybe they are trying to give everyone different sounds. Besides, you don't have to go to all the concerts, you get to choose which one you would like to go to. I've already seen Hawk Nelson and Mercy Me in concert and I've never heard of Tenth Avenue North so it should be fun. I'm bringing a friend and everything...

Now that I look at Tenth Avenue North's website I know who they are. I just didn't know their name or what songs they sang. That is usually how it goes with me.

Also, pictures of our trip may have to wait. My computer still has a virus and I'm on a different computer right now. If I can't get my computer fixed then I'll just upload them onto here.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:19:14 PM by Coaster »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »
I went to the midnight showing of The Dark Knight last night (I mean this morning). It was amazing! It was the best theatre experience I've ever had (not meaning the best movie I've ever seen). I went with four of my friends and it was just a lot of fun. There were people in Batman costumes and people cheered and screamed, it was just exciting. And I didn't get home 'til 3 in the morning.

Heath Ledger gave a stellar performance as the Joker. He made the character funny yet scary at the same time. I'd suggest this movie to anyone who is in the mood for a thrilling action packed movie. It was the best movie I've seen all year.

Does anyone else want to see this movie or has anyone seen it yet?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »
Not really my kind of movie, but it looks like a wild ride.  The last movie we saw was WALL-E, which was really well presented, humorous, action-packed, and beautiful with its inclusion of the Hello, Dolly scene and song.  If you can see through the green-preaching, the movie is just good story-telling.  Pixar is at its best when the dialog is left out, and for the first quarter of the movie, they did just that - very creative.