Author Topic: Opening Day at SDC  (Read 10151 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Day at SDC
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »
Theme park pricing or not, the new price increase is a bit out of my pocket book comfort. No, I will not compare it to Disney or another large overpriced theme park. I am looking directly at SDC pricing. I dont even pay those prices at a restaurant. I will cart a nice bag of trail mix and a bottle water and be happy to just be at SDC. Go to McDonalds afterwards and get a dollar sandwich. I am lucky enough to live like 45 minutes away so I am able to go home and eat.

Now if the portions were, well, proportionate to the pricing I would consider buying food on park.

In disagreeing with what i posted earlier,.  In response to what you just said...

Portions?  Buffet, with SP discount is about 13.00... eat all you want, portions dont get any bigger...

But I still agree prices seem to be getting higher and I am talkiing about SDC, Not any of the BIG parks..

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 03:10:05 PM »
We very rarely eat at SDC. The food is not as good as it used to be. I am a great cook and would rather eat a protein bar than pay for food that disappoints me.. It's not only SDC the food in most restaurants is not as good a quality anymore..I

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »
Maybe I am just a cranky penny pincher. I love the skillets, but now with them being 10.00 mark and the bowls not reflecting that I guess was what I was trying convey. I also wasnt trying to be cranky with anyone here either, so sorry if I came across that way.

I get it. They have to make a profit. Its just a big bummer to be priced out of a really great part of the city. I generally dont go to the buffets. Its not a bad price for them, I dont feel I personally eat enough to spend 13.00 on myself on food.

I also dont purchase the walking taco. The price on those is laughable.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
I'm sorry.  I understand thinking the food is costly.  But honestly- the prices aren't far off of what you can buy outside of the park.  I spend more at Taco Bell or McDonalds on my meal than I do at Percy's with the season pass discount.  And for being at a theme park? 

Seriously, when you compare SDC's food prices to what just about every other theme park out there charges, what airports charge, what movie theaters or sports arenas charge, they're downright cheap in comparison, especially when you drop on a season pass discount, which many of us on here have.  I'm not sure what some of you are expecting, but I'm not sure that it's necessarily realistic.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »
Some people just have to complain for the sake of complaining. 
You should see the Disney boards though if you think this is bad. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:01:22 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:26 PM »
People come from varying backgrounds and have varying incomes and levels of frugality.  Some will pay while others will not.

SDC will raise prices to whatever level enough people will pay.  I'm sure it's an enormous source of income.  Their overhead shouldn't be any higher than any other food service, but their markup is higher, or at least slightly higher, and their customers are virtually captive.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »
People come from varying backgrounds and have varying incomes and levels of frugality.  Some will pay while others will not.

SDC will raise prices to whatever level enough people will pay.  I'm sure it's an enormous source of income.  Their overhead shouldn't be any higher than any other food service, but their markup is higher, or at least slightly higher, and their customers are virtually captive.

I have a hard time with SDC food pricing.  Often people defend but they often are sponsored and treat trips to parks as business, most likely everything is written off on taxes so there is a reason to defend and deny that these increases can tax a pocket book.  I "get it."  Its a tough thing to compare Disney pricing to SDC as its all on a scale and Disney offers a lot to the guests, they charge as well but they are offering more of an experience than SDC so the pricing has to be considered with the experience.  I really enjoy SDC but see the value slipping away and it has effected the way I spend my money.  I agree that more than $10 for 8 oz of potatoes is high!  It is what is guys.  This is the reason I drive into town when I get hungry.    It makes perfect sense for you to voice that you have reached your comfort limit with this spending.  Do you not think SDC wants to know your opinions?  I think they do.   Another man cannot govern your pocketbook, they do not understand the financial complexities of your life.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:32:28 AM by mhguy77 »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 09:36:31 PM »
I guess I am not seeing how the buffet is $13 with season pass discount.  It is 10% off, right?  So if it is $17.49 that would make it $15.74.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
Speaking of price increases, I noticed the season pass holder price for the Showboat is now $40.  It was what, 2 years ago, it was $25, then last year went up to $35, and now $40.  I am really not thinking I want to spend that much on it.

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
I am really not thinking I want to spend that much on it.

Then don't.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »
Speaking of price increases, I noticed the season pass holder price for the Showboat is now $40.  It was what, 2 years ago, it was $25, then last year went up to $35, and now $40.  I am really not thinking I want to spend that much on it.

I wont be doing showboat at all this year,,  the "new" old show is sucks.. ::)  I'm not at all impressed with their singers/dancers.. The show is basically the same as it has been for 3 years or so.

years past the admittance fee was 1/2 price of regular price with SDC discount,  then they started bouncing around to see what people would pay...  LOL

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
Considering you get a full meal, show, and cruise for $40, I think that’s still a pretty good deal.  Most shows alone could cost $40 a person.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »
Last time I was on the Belle, I enjoyed it, but I really only watched the last few minutes of the show and spent my time on the upper deck.  Hubs and I were the only ones up there for the ride, and it was nice!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »
Considering you get a full meal, show, and cruise for $40, I think that’s still a pretty good deal.  Most shows alone could cost $40 a person.

Thats is a good price for what you recieve, no doubt... 

BUT when you have gone as many years as I have, and get accustomed to around 26-28.00 each (1/2 of regular ticket price),  the 40.00 sounds a little high.. :o

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »

Yea, but you can pay about $4-5 more and go to the Stampede and get better food and a much better show.