Author Topic: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 63426 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2019, 08:23:11 PM »
FYI I think the 2020 thread got broken. I see someone posted but I can't seem to load the latest page.

I tried to manipulate it, but it didn't work.  I went at it from a previous page and forwarded to the last page.  I can see it that way, but the last page still does not allow me to add a reply.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
With MRF officially open and an unprecedented time in history, time to start speculating about the next major project for SDC. Not intended to be a poll by any means, below are just several of the possibilities that have surfaced or been thrown around ad nauseam for some time.

- Classic refurb to AP or FITH?
- Off year with classic demo (FM) to make way for a new attraction in 2022?
- Off year for attraction development with major park entrance overhaul?
- Family style coaster like DW's Firechaser Express or Dragonflier?
- B&M Winged Coaster?
- Hypercoaster?
- Emphasis on strengthening show and craftsmen offerings?
- Other?

Can't help but be anxious and curious about SDC's next move. What are everyone's thoughts as it stands? Let's discuss. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2020, 08:08:57 PM »
Absolutely nothing.  And don’t be surprised if the next big addition comes in 2024 or later
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2020, 08:19:53 AM »
Absolutely nothing.  And don’t be surprised if the next big addition comes in 2024 or later

For sure agree with you on this one...

with the massive loss revenue this year from the "plandemic",
it will take a couple of years to recoup and regroup to even consider the next addition,
and that is assuming it goes away or gets better and doesnt have to be dealt with next year.

It is in the plans already, they know what they are going to do, just lost at least 2 years if not 3 before anything "big" happens.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2020, 08:44:07 AM »
I would guess that next year nothing happens, but in 2022 either FITH or FM closes (or is already closed at the end of 2021) and gets torn down. They will have to keep moving on replacing the classics one way or another. Time is running out for them, and we know they don't want to reinvest to keep them going. By 2023 we'll have the next big thing.

Unless the economy really does crap the bed and can't get back up. In which case who knows what will happen...

pintrader

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2020, 11:15:53 AM »
At this point I don't see a major project at SDC for a few years.  Long term plans have probably been put on the back burner with priority being on the short term.  Attendance numbers are probably running 50% or less (probably less) than last year's.  With attendance cap in place and covid-19 running rampant doesn't give much hope of things improving the remainder of the year.

I am not sure what their basis would be to tear down either FITH or FM without a firm plan to rebuild soon after.  I would think the logical thing to do would be keep these classics open until you have something definitive to go forward with.   They replaced the Waterboggan with Riverblast , Lost River with MRF and GG with FL so that seems to be their plan of replacement.

Yes I guess time might be running out for these classics with all the speculation and rumors I hear, but they are still 2 of the most loved rides in the park.  Budget these rides a few hundred thousand out of that 60 or 70 million spent on the last 2 major projects.  Now to me that is ROI!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:00:31 PM by Pintrader »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2020, 09:30:26 PM »
I would be absolutely thrilled if they would just FIX THE THUNDERATION BUMPS!
I'm Your Huckleberry

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
I wasn't really focused on the when as much as the what. I think we're all in agreement that COVID has thrown a wrench into the park's master plan, I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were about what will be addressed next when things return to "normal".

I still anticipate a major surge in consumer spending once the dust settles and concern eases around this entire mess. Obviously and unfortunately, many families have been adversely affected with job loss and illness, but I'm optimistic things will rebound quickly and HFEC won't have "suffered" too much.

One way or another, I would bet the farm that the complexion of this pandemic looks dramatically different come the first week of November. But I digress. We certainly have the time, so why not re-open the speculation vault on what could be ahead for SDC?

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »
I hope I’m wrong, but I’m starting to think we are going to be in a pandemic mitigation situation for another year maybe longer. With that in mind, I could see them making some front entrance remodels this office season. Something with a focus of helping guest flow while pandemic precautions are in effect but also streamlining flow for a post pandemic world where they hopefully return to crowd levels they had before the pandemic.

But like the rest of y’all I don’t expect anything big for 2-3 years minimum. I think their next big ride would be a coaster, those seem to have the biggest effect on attendance. I’d still love to see some more indoor everyone can ride options but in light of covid I think they will need/want something that really brings in crowds and new visitors.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »
It still amazes me that people think this all goes away in November... Does no one else pay attention to what is happening in hundreds of other countries that DON'T have an election in November?

But I digress... They have needed to address the park entrance for years. The large crowds of the last few years have stressed what is already a clusterF@&!.

Things that need done IMO:

Move the cart/stroller rental BEFORE the ticket gates and perhaps have a separate entrance gate just for carts. They could also use this as an overflow entrance gate when crowds are large. Families with strollers or carts are generally going to move much slower than the gen pop and giving a separate entrance for them to "get up to speed" would be nicer I would think

Widen the area considerably

Have someone moving people along. People walk just past the ticket gate and stop. Some to get their party together. Some because they are clueless. And a bunch more because the stroller and cart rental bleed into the already narrow walkway.

Move the Branson Belle ticketing somewhere else.

a nice to have would be a self service ticket scanner with possible facial recognition - you place your ticket on the scanner, smile for the camera and a gate opens and you are in. much faster (in theory) to passing your pass to a person and them having to orient it to the gun and then checking ID (for season pass holders).

Pretty much I think everything could be made better by just moving the stroller and cart rental and the Branson Belle ticketing booth. But the other things would be nice.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »
I would love to have the option of using the app on my phone as my ticket and not have to carry around the paper version.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2020, 07:12:09 PM »
I like the idea of the ticket on the phone, however I would not be going anymore if they went with some sort of facial recognition deal.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
Okie... Because they want to prevent fraud is why they check the ID for season pass... without some sort of facial recognition or just a camera alone, I don't see them doing any automated system.

And they take your picture throughout the park on rides or whatever... don't see how one more picture is a big deal.

While I hate the intrusion of it all, I am used to it with airports and customs. Heathrow airport does a complete facial scan when you enter the country. You put your passport on the machine and it takes a picture. It is the same way with US customs... While annoying, it is what it is

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
Yes to phone ticket. I would be happy to do facial recognition or biometric finger scan. My picture is taken probably dozens of times per day at stoplights, stores, attractions. At least I would know this one was being taken.  A lot could be done to speed up the entry process.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2020, 03:46:57 PM »
I think if you buy regular tickets they already email you a barcode that you can scan from your phone. I assume the hold up for season passes is the concern of misuse but I have to wonder if this is any less secure than people using fake ID's etc.