Author Topic: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 63454 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
I finally got to ride FITH today and based on that, I'd say they need to accelerate their timetable. The condition of the ride was truly deplorable, and felt like a marked comedown even from last season. Still a lot of missing audio, new train whistle and "FITH!" for some reason (why?), and a ton of visible deterioration.

Lol, what? There are a couple things deteriorating on FITH, but mainly on the outside building. The ride is about the same as ever. Some of the audio comes and goes with the seasons. Some years they blast the soundtrack, other years they have had cricket sounds or other music. This year I thought I heard the theme song in one of the tunnels, but not as pronounced as it used to be. The train sound is indeed new - not sure what happened to the old one. As for the "FITH!", that is a signature part of the ride! That's the only audio I get upset about if it's missing.

I feel like sometimes people forget that FITH is an old ride, and it hasn't changed that much. What people think is "falling apart" was normal back when it was new. The scenes have always been campy, the track has always been bumpy, and it's always going to be musty inside. The real problem with the ride is that they are maintaining the building itself. There's a huge hole near the start of the ride that has been growing for the past several seasons. I'm sure when the lights are on you can see all the water damage...

sdcfan88, there's no way Thunderation goes on the chopping block anytime soon considering FM and FITH are apparently on the chopping block. I'm not sure what special parts they are fabricating, since there are plenty of mine trains left around and S&S still makes all the parts for Arrow. They do need to fix the bump in the tunnel for sure though.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2019, 10:17:37 AM »
-There's a bad jolt on Thunderation in the tunnel after the helix. It's very pronounced and painful now.

^Off the wall curiosity to everyone here, regarding your comment about ThuNderaTion in the other thread, how would people feel if that was the next thing to be on the chopping block? While it is not a true SDC classic like FITH or FM it is still a fan favorite and a great mid-level non-inverting coaster that is family friendly and it was the parks first true big rollercoaster. It is also reviewed by many coaster enthusiasts as the one of the best mine train coasters of its kind in the world. I haven't considered it but with Arrow being gone the way of the dinosaurs and S&S being bought out, (who themselves bought Arrow's assets) it makes me wonder how much longer we will have it with us. Spoke to some ride attendants and they were concerned about its future as they apparently have to custom fabricate parts for the ride nowadays.

If they wanted to, they could have Chance/Morgan do replacement track pieces as they have the same gauge
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:52:10 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »
Lol, what? There are a couple things deteriorating on FITH, but mainly on the outside building. The ride is about the same as ever. Some of the audio comes and goes with the seasons. Some years they blast the soundtrack, other years they have had cricket sounds or other music.
I feel like sometimes people forget that FITH is an old ride, and it hasn't changed that much. What people think is "falling apart" was normal back when it was new. The scenes have always been campy, the track has always been bumpy, and it's always going to be musty inside. The real problem with the ride is that they are maintaining the building itself. There's a huge hole near the start of the ride that has been growing for the past several seasons. I'm sure when the lights are on you can see all the water damage...

I'm by no means an expert, but these are some things that I noticed (perceived?) during my rides:
-Lack of ambient music (particularly the second scene)
-Transfer track area between 1st and 2nd scene seemed larger and is covered by a curtain that I do not remember being as large or as obvious as it is now.
-Water shooting over riders not working (this one is understandable given the condition of the building IMO)
-Lack of bridge-out sound effect
-replacement of original fire effects with smaller, weaker-looking (IMO) flames

Along with the already noted deterioration of the building.

Some of those might be subjective, or might lack the nuance of people able to go several times a year, but my point is this: I've been riding FITH on and off for 14 years. I perceive a decline, and I don't think I'm the only one feeling that way. Yes, the building's in terrible condition, but I wouldn't say that's the only place a decline is happening. I don't think this is simply "well, the ride's just old" anymore. Just my two cents.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2019, 11:53:36 PM »
People always complain about things not working, but no one seems to mention upgrades. Like the lighting.  Yeah, it’s all been redone for this season. 
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2019, 07:37:24 PM »
I am really not sure what you mean.  I rode it several times this weekend and they have all of the sounds and effects working.  The train whistle sounds like a new recording as does fire in the hole at the end. I assumed the originals were too far gone and they had to redo them.

I finally got to ride FITH today and based on that, I'd say they need to accelerate their timetable. The condition of the ride was truly deplorable, and felt like a marked comedown even from last season. Still a lot of missing audio, new train whistle and "FITH!" for some reason (why?), and a ton of visible deterioration.

If you'd have told me ten years ago that Dollywood would put some TLC into Blazing Fury and SDC had let FITH rot, I would have never believed you or thought you'd gotten the parks confused somehow. I just don't understand the thought/rationale behind allowing the ride to even get to this point, what was once and I had thought to be still a signature ride.

I would have hoped for a Knott's style refurb, but alas, it seems like that's unlikely. Hopefully they'll do a fantastic reimagined version, but right now I have my doubts. And until this visit I hadn't really ever doubted the park before.

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »
Agree with above. Rode it yesterday and we were all quite pleased. Everything worked and sounded nice. One of the rides that everyone that gets off of seems super happy. Laughter and smiles every time since I’ve been riding, 1976.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2019, 08:53:09 AM »
If they ever need to re-record the "Red Flanders" audio, my family and I would like to audition. We always shout it along with the recorded audio when we ride. We get a lot of funny looks from newbies.  :D

Seriously though, you all know my thoughts on this ride. I hope and pray that the folks in charge recognize the value of vintage rides, particularly FITH and FM. There is definitely a place and demand for these rides.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:04 PM »
I’d just be happy if all of theme songs would return.
Fire in the Hole
Flooded Mine
Powder Keg
ThuNderaTion
etc
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2019, 12:33:49 AM »
I hope and pray that the folks in charge recognize the value of vintage rides, particularly FITH and FM. There is definitely a place and demand for these rides.

FM hasn't been "vintage" since they added the guns.

Yes, I'm that kind of curmudgeon.

I'm also not impressed by the new float ride. I'd rather have Jim Owens' Float Trip and Rube Dugan back.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2019, 08:30:03 AM »
I don't disagree with your choices, KBCraig (it's hard to find someone who wants the originality more than I do--I consider ALL the roller coasters aberrations!), but I am realist enough to know that the new ride will attract quite a few.

Still, I especially support any effort to keep FM (sans the shootout, if possible).  I want the rockfall back  8)

But I have and will continue to make my voice heard concerning its survival, even in its shootout form.  Along with the train and the stagecoach, FM defined SDC for me.  We've lost the stagecoach.  If we lose FM, I will feel like someone ran over my puppy.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »
Been on the fence about posting this and I hope I don't get in trouble, but I will come out and say while chatting with some of the SDC staff, (particularly people in charge of construction and development at the park) but Swoosh was correct as they did come out and say to me that they were indeed looking at a demo and/or rebuild of FITH. Problem is they aren't sure whether they want to go forward with spending the money on it after some of their latest financial projections were put out as the project could easily cost more than both TT and MRF combined. This would be the parks most expensive project to date.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:38:12 PM by sdcfan88 »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »
Been on the fence about posting this and I hope I don't get in trouble, but I will come out and say while chatting with some of the SDC staff, (particularly people in charge of construction and development at the park) but Swoosh was correct as they did come out and say to me that they were indeed looking at a demo and/or rebuild of FITH. Problem is they aren't sure whether they want to go forward with spending the money on it after some of their latest financial projections were put out as the project could easily cost more than both TT and MRF combined. This would be the parks most expensive project to date.

Wouldn't that be in the 52 million dollar range ? Really hard for me to believe that number.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
If they were to do the old ride justice then yes. They really could do some interesting things with modern tech. The concrete work also costs a lot of money apparently. Its partially why some of the theming elements that were allegedly supposed to be for Time Travelers ride course were cut and why we aren't seeing MRF load station enclosed inside a fake rock structure like LR was.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:55:54 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »

Well?  first of all the demo cost...  then keep in mind IF it is indeed a dark ride as "we" suspect it will be...  YOu have to build a bigass building,  AND then you put a New Coaster, with all the new stuff in/on it,  add some Special effects screens for effect.....  Priced at todays cost..  I can see the number for a large attraction..   thats a lot of 0's :o :o

Wouldn't that be in the 52 million dollar range ? Really hard for me to believe that number.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »
FYI I think the 2020 thread got broken. I see someone posted but I can't seem to load the latest page.