Author Topic: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 63450 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2021, 11:20:06 AM »
So for all the effort the park put into Thunderation this year, it sounds like it didn't really pay off? Is the curve out of the tunnel smooth at least? I'm still having trouble understanding why they didn't retrack the tunnel where the biggest complaint is.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »
Thats unfortunate. Maybe they ran out of time. It might be a multi-season project like TimberWolf at WOF or Thunderhead at DW.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2021, 08:04:52 PM »
So for all the effort the park put into Thunderation this year, it sounds like it didn't really pay off? Is the curve out of the tunnel smooth at least? I'm still having trouble understanding why they didn't retrack the tunnel where the biggest complaint is.

Thats unfortunate. Maybe they ran out of time. It might be a multi-season project like TimberWolf at WOF or Thunderhead at DW.

The ONLY rough part of ThuNderaTion now is in the tunnel and immediately exiting it.  The curve closest to TT is quite smooth now.  There’s a bump still going into the tunnel at the bottom of the lift, but that’s been there for as long as I can remember.  AND yes this is a multi-year fix.  There were lots of projects that did not get finished because the park had to deal with other issues... like electric work thanks to the snow that melted than hard frozen causing all sorts of issues.  Several buildings that were supposed to be removed are still standing.  I won’t even get into some of the issues that the legacy attractions are having. 

Frankly the park is lucky that it opened last weekend due to delays caused by the weather in prep
SWOOSH

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2021, 07:55:43 AM »
It is good to hear they plan to still fix Thunderation and for the reminder that there are sometimes reasons things don't happen as quickly as we hope!

The ONLY rough part of ThuNderaTion now is in the tunnel and immediately exiting it.  The curve closest to TT is quite smooth now.  There’s a bump still going into the tunnel at the bottom of the lift, but that’s been there for as long as I can remember.  AND yes this is a multi-year fix.  There were lots of projects that did not get finished because the park had to deal with other issues... like electric work thanks to the snow that melted than hard frozen causing all sorts of issues.  Several buildings that were supposed to be removed are still standing.  I won’t even get into some of the issues that the legacy attractions are having. 

Frankly the park is lucky that it opened last weekend due to delays caused by the weather in prep

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2021, 04:23:32 PM »
I haven’t seen anyone else mention this but the drop on Mystic river falls appears to have been resurfaced. Unless I’m crazy last year it was white rollers, this year it’s a black solid surface. Not the best picture, but it shows the black surface of the drop.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2021, 10:10:38 PM »
I haven’t seen anyone else mention this but the drop on Mystic river falls appears to have been resurfaced. Unless I’m crazy last year it was white rollers, this year it’s a black solid surface. Not the best picture, but it shows the black surface of the drop.

Yes, it is different, but here weren't rollers on the drop last year.
The rafts also have a new cover over the handrails.

They have also finished the water blasters at the end of the drop. You can pay to shoot them at the rafts as they go by. It is 2 shots for $1 or 12 shots for $5. You buy tokens out of a machine and then it is one token per shot.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:15:10 PM by mg »

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2021, 10:29:31 AM »
The construction fence is down and you can see the wider woodland trail.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2021, 05:37:35 PM »
^ Thanks for the update.  Still wish it was for construction for new attraction <sigh>
I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2021, 03:43:07 AM »
Still odd they went thru all the trouble for a fence this time around.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2021, 12:14:24 PM »
I don't recall what time of year they built the original path, but if it wasn't in the summer when the park was open 7 days a week, could they have done construction on off days. But since they did it during the summer this time, they had the wall so that active construction during the operating day was somewhat hidden?

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2021, 01:32:34 AM »
Admittedly I've not been on that path and am not sure where it comes out on the other side. I know it starts near where the water boggan tower is... I am wondering if perhaps they widened it due to ADA requirements... Because if that path comes out where I think, the path could be a bypass for that slight hill that is coming up from Fireman's Landing for carts and wheelchairs and the like. That hill there is deceptively steep... I used to actually cut through the theater most times to flatten it out

Just a thought as to the "why" as seems like a lot of work for no real benefit otherwise

As a side note, I've been in London for 9+ months now. I miss going to the park terribly... hasn't helped that the "summer" here has been kind of ridiculous - it's only been above 80 for 2 weeks... I've worn a jacket every day but 2 weeks for 9 months. And it's been quite rainy as well. It's been an anomaly for a summer based off a graphic on the news this morning. The winter was much better than a typical midwest winter but this summer has been a letdown

pintrader

« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2021, 07:45:48 AM »
In The Grand Exposition there is a gate between The Elephant March and Red Gold Heritage Hall that leads to an open plaza.  This is where the trail begins or ends depending on how you want to look at it or where you start from. I think they probably just widened it because of the increased traffic they are expecting for Pumpkins In The City which they are expanding this year.

As far as a bypass you already have the hill fairly well beat by the time you get that far up and it would be out of the way considering you will be in the back of Grand Expo instead of the front of the Frisco Barn. Depends on where you are going.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »
While on the train Wednesday, our conductor said they are remodeling the salon. I don’t remember them saying that earlier this year(just saying things like the salon girls decided to take the show on the road). I don’t know if they actually are doing a remodel. If they are I feel like they might be making the ground floor all one level to be more disability accessible.

Anyone else hear anything about a remodel? Anything you’d like to see them do if they are remodeling?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2021, 09:34:58 AM »
While on the train Wednesday, our conductor said they are remodeling the salon. I don’t remember them saying that earlier this year(just saying things like the salon girls decided to take the show on the road). I don’t know if they actually are doing a remodel. If they are I feel like they might be making the ground floor all one level to be more disability accessible.

Anyone else hear anything about a remodel? Anything you’d like to see them do if they are remodeling?

It’s just a cute backstory on why the show is outside and not in the Saloon.  If they make any changes to the Saloon it will no longer be grandfathered and will have to comply with ADA standards
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
If they make any changes to the Saloon it will no longer be grandfathered and will have to comply with ADA standards

Not exactly. There is no "grandfather clause".

All places of public access must comply with the 1991 ADA standards. Modifications after March 15, 2012, must comply with the 2010 ADA standards.

https://adata.org/faq/if-i-am-altering-or-doing-addition-my-building-can-i-still-follow-older-1991-ada-standards