Author Topic: 2019 Trip Reports  (Read 76597 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Trip Reports
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
Yes, great pics as always..  the City looks good..

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 04, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »
I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone know what kind of lights are used on all of the bushes and trees in the square, and likely through the rest of the park? They have one predominant color (say, red) alternating with white, all on the same strand. They also use these on the trees at the entrance on 76. Thought they looked cool and thought I'd ask here just in case they are available commercially.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
We were at the City the evening of the 26th and the afternoon of the 27th.  Weather was warm, dry, and clear--NOT a good thing at OTC.

We managed to actually accomplish a few things:  we saw Dickens and rode the train on the 26th and saw the saloon show and the Pickers on the 27th. 

The shows were all entertaining, of course, and Dickens was mostly its usual self (except that David must have taken time off, for Tom was Scrooge--good job).  I do tire of the hip-hop invasion into so many of the shows--now it's at the saloon.  Never appropriate, especially at Christmas.   Train ride was good (although I was surprised that, given the number of people there, they went down to one train before the end):  the sound an lights were all working, and Grandpa did a great job.  Greg Bailey was out of town, but the Pickers did their usual great job.

Now, all that said, it was perhaps the least enjoyable visit I have ever made to the city.  Except for brief periods of show/activity, the rest of the time was spent in waiting in line.  The crowds were pushy and rude.  The kids telling jokes to their parents throughout Dickens was particularly irritating.

People were parking just anywhere in the lots they could shove someone aside out of line or sneak between posts or cones or maybe just create a parking spot out of an odd corner.  Two people driving the same Chevy Tahoe nearly ran over my wife 3 times (she was standing behind the proper lines in a queue to board the tram) while working their way into a corner of Lot 6--blocking the walking path towards the park.

And why is it so hard to wish someone a Merry Christmas during OTC?  Yes, we were there on the 26th and 27th of December, but these are the 2nd and 3rd Days of Christmas.  C'mon.

Now, we tried our best to remain in the Christmas spirit--and we did get to say Hi to many of our friends there.  But I honestly don't know if I am willing to return to OTC next year.  Our schedules don't permit latitude:  we go when we can.  We found ourselves wishing that it had been 30 degrees and snowing like crazy. The crowds, the waits, and the hassles just don't make for Memories Worth Repeating.

I hate to leave a report like this, but I find myself wishing the City were not nearly so popular sometimes.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
^ Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience, Palallin.  When it's that crowded we just decide beforehand the things we want to do, keep the list short, and figure anything else we get to do is gravy.  We know we won't get to see all the shows and ride the train and a lot of other stuff so we pick out our favorites knowing we will stand in line for them.  Fortunately we like to ride and almost everytime I've been to OTC the ride lines have been pretty short.  Like you said though the best times to go are when the weather is not so good.
I'm Your Huckleberry

excuseme

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2019, 08:39:58 PM »
Newbie here.  been to the city.  just there today and now have a season pass.  read this forum daily.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2019, 11:31:01 PM »
Newbie here.  been to the city.  just there today and now have a season pass.  read this forum daily.

Welcome.  If you have any questions let us know
SWOOSH