Author Topic: 2019 Trip Reports  (Read 76557 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Trip Reports
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »
My take on the kid magic deal is they are from Hollywood and their folks have connections.  They have packaged the kids up into this show and are heavily promoting it.  If you got the connections might as well use them.  I had never heard of them until they came to SDC.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
My take on the kid magic deal is they are from Hollywood and their folks have connections.  They have packaged the kids up into this show and are heavily promoting it.  If you got the connections might as well use them.  I had never heard of them until they came to SDC.

The kids' father Bart Rockett used to have a magic show in Eureka Springs and then Branson and then went on to other places. The kids were on America's Got Talent.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »
Star-Spangled Summer
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/06/star-spangled-summer-sdc.html

Reuben's Swashbuckling Adventure
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/06/reubens-swashbuckling-adventure-sdc.html

New page.  Didn’t want these to get lost.  Just in case people are interested
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:17 AM »
I guess I have to be "that guy":  we didn't like the magic show nearly as much as most here.  Far too loud, far too much hype, and far too contrived.  I came away with a massive headache from the music and the numerous video clips.  Fully half the time of the show was watching commercials for the show--sorry, had I paid for this show on the strip, I would have asked for my money back.

The stage illusions were pretty good, and they were usually well executed.  It seems likely, however, that the kids are following a script written by someone else (parents?). 

I have no problem with the boy asking folks for bills, but it is bald effrontery to ask for credit cards, driver licenses, and socks.  Socks?  Really?  I would have gladly handed over a 20, but no one is getting my ID, my credit cards, or my underwear.  There is far too much potential for theft.  And do you really, really want these kids to handle clothing that could carry fungus?  I am no germophobe, but come on!  I don't go around asking strangers if I can fondle their worn clothing, either, much less take it away from them so they have to hobble across the auditorium shoeless to get it back (and incidentally be enticed to buy the show's merchandise).

No,  this one is a clear miss for my wife and me. 

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2019, 01:55:02 PM »
I guess I have to be "that guy":  we didn't like the magic show nearly as much as most here.  Far too loud, far too much hype, and far too contrived.  I came away with a massive headache from the music and the numerous video clips.  Fully half the time of the show was watching commercials for the show

I'm actually agreed with you on the commercials and the PR/ "hype" clips, especially at the beginning of the show.  Way to much, and I think it sets up overly high expectations, which makes it harder for the kids.  So much so that people forget that they are still kids.  It's an 11 and 9 year old, but the clips make you forget that, and I think it makes the crowd harder for them to work with.

It's also why I think having an MC or someone to work the crowd would be better, especially when they are between tricks and setting up for the next one.  At that age, they just aren't going to have the stage presence or crowd working skills that they will when they are older.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2019, 09:44:32 PM »
We were back at the city this morning.  We were there at opening and headed for TT first since we did not ride it yesterday.  It was about a 20 minute wait by that point.  We then headed toward the train but was not going to wait in that line.  Then we went to PK and it was walk on, rode the front row.  Walked on to WF, then headed to FITH and walked on twice.  Walked right on to TGS.  After that stopped by the RB and let the kid shoot water at passing boats for a while.  We heard the train coming so headed up there.  Station was full and we were toward the back, but when the gates opened we got right on the front row of car 3.  The show only had 1 robber and was a little different but had most of the same jokes as always.  I did not really see anything different.  After the train we left right around noon.  Headed into town and was going to eat at Billy Bobs because the kid wanted to, but the place was full and there were about 25 people standing around waiting to get seated.  I really do not see the big attraction with that place.  It seems overpriced, cash only, no free refills on drinks etc.

Sounds like a good visit overall....

I also dont get the Billy Bob's attraction..?  I know people swear by the place, best burgers in town, and obviously they have a great following, i just go else where.

The one big thing I do for food in Branson, is I ALWAYS eat a locally owned businesses.   I am a firm believer in support the local/mom and pop places if at all possible.  Usually better food, good portions and less money..

I don't get it either, Sand.  I tried twice - first time took an hr. to get coffee, and the second time coffee arrived at the same time as the pancakes after about an hr. wait, and no refills.  Both times, my pancakes were like pudding in the middle.  I could only eat the edges and after complaining, we never saw another waitress at our table. Done!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2019, 07:14:10 AM »
We were back at the city this morning.  We were there at opening and headed for TT first since we did not ride it yesterday.  It was about a 20 minute wait by that point.  We then headed toward the train but was not going to wait in that line.  Then we went to PK and it was walk on, rode the front row.  Walked on to WF, then headed to FITH and walked on twice.  Walked right on to TGS.  After that stopped by the RB and let the kid shoot water at passing boats for a while.  We heard the train coming so headed up there.  Station was full and we were toward the back, but when the gates opened we got right on the front row of car 3.  The show only had 1 robber and was a little different but had most of the same jokes as always.  I did not really see anything different.  After the train we left right around noon.  Headed into town and was going to eat at Billy Bobs because the kid wanted to, but the place was full and there were about 25 people standing around waiting to get seated.  I really do not see the big attraction with that place.  It seems overpriced, cash only, no free refills on drinks etc.

Sounds like a good visit overall....

I also dont get the Billy Bob's attraction..?  I know people swear by the place, best burgers in town, and obviously they have a great following, i just go else where.

The one big thing I do for food in Branson, is I ALWAYS eat a locally owned businesses.   I am a firm believer in support the local/mom and pop places if at all possible.  Usually better food, good portions and less money..

I don't get it either, Sand.  I tried twice - first time took an hr. to get coffee, and the second time coffee arrived at the same time as the pancakes after about an hr. wait, and no refills.  Both times, my pancakes were like pudding in the middle.  I could only eat the edges and after complaining, we never saw another waitress at our table. Done!

@ Gilligan..  Thats odd..   My complaint is the hour wait to get seated.... Once seated I have had nothing but 1st class service, big portions, and reasonable price.. 
I like the place "after" you get in and get seated alot.!!!     
I have eaten there probably 15-20 times,  would go tomorrow, IF i could get in the front door.  LOL!!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
Went Thursday the 13th. Got a late start so traffic was backed up to the Highroad at 10:30. We drove down to the Notch Dollar General, turned around and drove straight to lot 5. There were some transportation delays at stop 5. When we got to the drop off there were several people waiting to exchange the grocery store vouchers for tickets. The person who scanned my season pass had finance embroidered on his shirt and saw people from other departments scanning tickets.

It was 11:30 when we got to the Opera House. Doors were locked and the show had started (showtime was 11:30). Got some frozen strawberry at the stand by the saloon -- best we have gotten in 2 years. Ate some Chester's Chips. Went to the 12:45 juggling show at the Riverfront Playhouse. Was about 3/4 full. We and most of the crowd (kids and adults) seemed to really enjoy it.

Then we went to the Dance Explosion show -- we and several others walked out after the 3rd number. Definitely not World of Dance (TV show quality). I have seen much better small town dance recitals. Caught part of the Sons of the Silver Dollar show. Like how they now have different themes per show. Walked around to the Grand Exposition -- busiest I have ever seen it.

Went back to the Opera House for the second show of the day for Reuben's Swashbuckling Adventure. General announcements started 8 minutes before showtime, then a 5 minute to showtime announcement, and the show started right on time -- no late seating. Don't want to spoil anything but there are some winks and nods to a Christmas Carol within the show. The performers are good singers, good selection of songs and some surprising arrangements. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably go back if we make a second visit during the festival. Heard one of the crew members talking to some nearby folks before the show started. Due to the investment in the production it is planned to be the main summer production for at least 2 years and possibly up to 5 years.

From the comments here we decided to skip the kids magic show. We thought they were just okay on AGT.

Spent about 4 1/2 hours in the park on a beautiful day.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »
I just wrote five paragraphs describing all of the reasons I despised the new show, Reuben's Swashbuckling Adventure before deleting it all.  I just can't write about it without picking it apart and putting it down.  While the actors and crew do everything they can to make best of it, the show needs to go back to where it came from.  I DO NOT EVER need to see this one again.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
I just wrote five paragraphs describing all of the reasons I despised the new show, Reuben's Swashbuckling Adventure before deleting it all.  I just can't write about it without picking it apart and putting it down.  While the actors and crew do everything they can to make best of it, the show needs to go back to where it came from.  I DO NOT EVER need to see this one again.

I would have loved to have read that.
Don’t be afraid to voice your opinion.  You have a right. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2019, 09:22:38 PM »

If any of the PTB want my opinion, they are free to ask for it, and I will freely critique their little show in detail.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2019, 11:27:56 PM »

^This ...I would be curious to know too.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »

If any of the PTB want my opinion, they are free to ask for it, and I will freely critique their little show in detail.

You tease.  Do it. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »

You tease.  Do it.

When you are displeased you should voice your opinion.  That is the only way to bring the train back onto the rails.  If you dont say anything the PTB will just smile and forge ahead.  Honesty is not the same as being a jerk. 
  DO NOT FORGET: this is a business, you are the person making the deposits.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
I'll put it in a list for you.  Maybe I can avoid all of my previous rhetoric about somebody needing to be fired or disowned for signing off on this trash.

*I hate stories that just jump from one "adventure" to another one with no climax or resolution.  There was no story here.

*The music selections were terrible and not catchy.  Most were unrecognizable to the general public.

*The jokes were generic.  I know some 10-year-olds who could come up with better ones that would not be as predictable.

*For me, the Disney ripoffs with Pirates of the CaribbeanYou've Got a Friend in Me, and Orlando are pretty much an acknowledgement of inferiority.  Even though some of the other characters are classics, Disney has already exploited them to the point that characters like Robin Hood (Friar Tuck) and Peter Pan (Mr. Smee) are almost fully Disney characters.  It's hard to take back such rooter characters, and this was a weak effort.  If this is anything like the Pirates and Princesses Cruise on the Branson Belle, I don't need to take that cruise either.  At the same time, someone didn't even think to cross-market the cruise with this show, which would have been quite simple to do.  I'd mention that they even used a song from the Muppets, but people don't relate that to Disney.  And, although it's not Disney, they jabbed a line in there about Shrek and Donkey, as well, just to get a cheap laugh.  All of these things take the audience outside of Silver Dollar City.

*Isn't Mr. Smee and Peter Pan character who runs around with Captain Hook?  Why is he here with Long John Silver?

*He is the cook, but is John Silver ever called a "captain" in Treasure Island?

*At least twice, they referenced the "very expensive forest" as if to say that they even know that it was overpriced.

*The flat sets looked cheap.  In fact, they also don't even fit behind each other well enough to hide them when they are not on stage.

*The line about margarita night in one of the songs was inappropriate for the setting, especially if the show was supposed to appeal to kids.

*The hiphop monks were pandering and mildly offensive.  Their colorful socks worked for the gag, but the Converse shoes were stupid.  I'm not sure if they were just trying to force a gospel message into the show, but this was too weird.

*The kid being named Reuben Branson was a cheap gag, and they practically had to beg the audience to laugh at it, as if they thought they had to explain the joke before the punch line ever arrived.  By the way, why are so many SDC characters named Rube and Reuben?  Had the boy been a Dugan, it would have been a nice nod.

*Dialogue was boring, as if the writer was forcing scenes together with a lot of explanation.

*There was no reason for a bunch of gimmicky singing skulls on Long John Silver's ship.

*The soundtrack does not blend as one show.  The songs don't even stick to a particular genre.

*No swashes were buckled.  At some time it would have been nice to have felt like Reuben was in danger.  It would have been nice to have forgotten that it was all a dream.  It would have been nice to have some kind of struggle, some emotional drama.

*They kept repeating "You look vaguely familiar" to David's characters, as if they thought the audience was too stupid to recognize he was the same actor in different roles.

*Why was he the same actor in different roles?  That didn't tie anything together, and could have made more sense if he had shown up as a real person in Reuben's cabin at the end (like the Wizard of Oz).

*No other characters had to have different names, so why the Marlin gag?  Just so they could make another reference to Orlando/Disney?

*How is it that Long John Silver stayed with Reuben for the entire non-adventure?  It might have been nice for Reuben to have discovered strength of character by protecting a weaker character along the way instead of dancing around with the pirate captain while trekking through the forest (Did I mention it's a very expensive forest?).

*Was Reuben sufficiently troubled by his lack of destiny at the beginning (He's not even wary of meeting Long John Silver.)?  Was there really a need for a swashbuckling adventure at all?  What was all of this talk of destiny?  I thought the kid just wanted to read himself to sleep, but all of the sudden the kid needs to find himself.

*Gypsies, who are called vagabonds (I don't think anyone ever mentioned the word gypsies.), suddenly appear, but why?  If all of these are supposed to be characters of classic stories, what book did the gypsies come out of?  I don't recall any of them being named.

*Sing along?  They ask the audience to sing along to a song most of us have probably never heard, carting out a giant, gaudy scroll and unfurling the words to one verse of the song.  For some reason the scroll remains unfurled during the next verse, even thought the words are different.

*Where was the million dollar show?  The only thing that looked expensive was the upstage digital screen.  Some live pyrotechnics could have also been engaged for the end celebration.

*The lyrics seem rushed and any witty ones are lost as it takes longer to mentally process them than the audience is provided.

*I'm not sure how Reuben and his mom get back to the fantasy at the end.  The whole thing was supposed to be a dream, but now they just have to "believe" and all the characters reappear for the finale.

*Usually these shows have a huge, natural standing ovation at the end.  Not here.  The audience stopped clapping before the actors faded into the background.  Actors waved as they walked upstage, and the audience was packing up to leave.  Embarrassing.

Again, they performers and crew work very hard with what they've been given.  They do the best job possible.  They try very hard to make this show as entertaining as possible, but they must be frustrated to find that the reaction is lackluster.  None of my critique is against the crew and cast who seem to have everything under control.  My criticism is completely against the creators of the show and whomever allowed this to be produced in the first place.

After setting the bar with their Christmas shows, they probably wanted something similar to appeal to kids, but they need to let Disney do Disney.  They've been successful with Dickens and Wonderful Life, but this one falls far short of its mark.

The best parts?  Long John Silver's entrance on the rope, the Defying Gravity entrance for Marlin, and the part where I got to leave.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:12:40 PM by History Buff »