Author Topic: 2019 Trip Reports  (Read 76595 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: 2019 Trip Reports
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »
Curious what was new about the robbery show? Any specifics with the jokes and such? I was there last week but didn't notice anything new. Could it be possible they simply brought back old lines that hadn't been used in recent years?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:20:22 PM by sdcfan88 »

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2019, 05:30:58 AM »
I have been there when they did that

Curious what was new about the robbery show? Any specifics with the jokes and such? I was there last week but didn't notice anything new. Could it be possible they simply brought back old lines that hadn't been used in recent years?

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2019, 06:42:51 AM »
Its possible that they were old jokes just brought back. One that comes to mind is insteado f the "hey hey hey" joke it was a little dance. They did the stick up joke. It was just a varied show that I had not seen. I was used to the same jokes in the same order and this was not it. The "this close to an idiot" was not used either. They also used a prop I couldnt decipher along with a joke I couldnt hear because the speaker quality isnt the greatest. It was at the end after the conductor was back on the train. Alphie found something of Ralphies???

I was so excited to see the tiny tables! Like I stopped in the middle of the road and everything. Its a good thing we were there for ERT and no one was behind us! Mom didnt get it till I sat down.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
Yeah, the tables are a neat addition, as well as the charging stations, but they were there last year.  I wonder if the charging stations are really used that much.

One near the line area for the Opera House was being used at Christmastime - as a seat for an older gentleman.  Some benches in that area would be nifty.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
Yeah, the tables are a neat addition, as well as the charging stations, but they were there last year.  I wonder if the charging stations are really used that much.

One near the line area for the Opera House was being used at Christmastime - as a seat for an older gentleman.  Some benches in that area would be nifty.

I’d be all for them redoing that area to fit in more queue area (that’s not so wide) so they can fit more people in there and off of Hill Street.  I’m curious why it hasn’t been done already
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2019, 09:28:45 PM »
We went today, showed up before opening and were the first people on PK.  Rode it a couple times, both walk on.  Then rode FITH a couple of times.  They have all the sounds effects working again but I believe the train sound is actually a new recording and the "FIRE IN THE HOLE" at the end is for sure a different person voicing it that what it was.  We then walked on WF, TGS, OR.  We then headed for the train but the line was half way back toward the TT area.  Rode FM instead.  Afterward we watched the kid magic show.  It was OK but some of their tricks were pretty obvious.  I won't give anything away though.  After the show it was starting to get busy so we decided to eat lunch at the buffet at Heritage Hall.  It really was not all that great.  After that we walked around the park a little bit, PK was not a 75 minute wait, the line for the train was insane, and the line was way out the door and out the front gate of FM.  We left a little before 2pm.  We thought about going back later to hit the EH concert tonight but decided not to.  Headed to try out this Pizza Ranch, played some mini golf, and now sitting at the Ozark Valley Inn.  Will probably head back at opening tomorrow to hit TT and maybe the train, then head home.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
We were out there as well today.  Busy, but not unmanageable.  We were also focusing on the shows, not the  rides at all.

Saw the very first showing of Rueben's Swashbuckling Adventure, appeared briefly in the livestream (Hi Terry!), and enjoyed the show.  My wife doesn't generally like musicals, so she was "ehhh" but I really enjoyed it.  You can tell it's brand new- a couple of the actors are still trying to get comfortable in their roles, but overall I thought it was a good show with some great music, and some very funny bits in it as well.  Most of us will recognize one of the main actors, who now has an ironic bit in common with his wife.  But I'll leave that there as a fun surprise for others to figure out. 

We really enjoyed the juggler comedian Greg Bennick.  Sons of Silver Dollar put on a great show as well (only caught a few minutes of it)  the "Dance Explosion" is the cloggers with a different show- more modern dance less clogging.  I dunno, I like the clogging better.  It was ok, but not something I'd likely stop to see again.

Bart and Brooklyn Rockett were pretty decent- better than a lot of adult magicians I've seen.  But they are still kids, and had a couple of blown moments.  I think the biggest issue is that for our show at least the crowd while pretty large was stone dead and cold, and the kids just don't have the ability to work with a hard crowd.  That's not any fault of theirs, that's age as much as anything.  (and maybe not helped by being overhyped by the preshow videos, which should be cut down to about 1/3rd of what they are).  The one thing my wife and I kept thinking though is if that was our kids up there, we would have had a hard time not yelling at the crowd to lighten up and cheer them on just for being kids doing their best.  And even though there were a couple of slips, they were better than half of the magicians I've seen doing shows in Branson.

had a late lunch/ early dinner at wagon works, which still has the best burgers and fries in the park.

We closed out with the Pickers, who finally got a chance to make it down to the Picking Shed after so much rain the last few weeks.  Then headed home.  Overall really enjoyed our day at the park.

I'll have a video preview and vlog posting up hopefully on Tuesday showing everything we saw.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2019, 11:24:26 PM »
I get the irony after seeing the still shots on the Burton video in the other thread.  Those Wallaces!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2019, 07:31:10 PM »
Yea, they are kids and I thought they did a good job.  The amount of videos during the show with clips from all of their appearances on tv shows etc could have been cut way way down.  It felt more like it was just one big promo for them trying to boost their brand, so to speak. 

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »
We were back at the city this morning.  We were there at opening and headed for TT first since we did not ride it yesterday.  It was about a 20 minute wait by that point.  We then headed toward the train but was not going to wait in that line.  Then we went to PK and it was walk on, rode the front row.  Walked on to WF, then headed to FITH and walked on twice.  Walked right on to TGS.  After that stopped by the RB and let the kid shoot water at passing boats for a while.  We heard the train coming so headed up there.  Station was full and we were toward the back, but when the gates opened we got right on the front row of car 3.  The show only had 1 robber and was a little different but had most of the same jokes as always.  I did not really see anything different.  After the train we left right around noon.  Headed into town and was going to eat at Billy Bobs because the kid wanted to, but the place was full and there were about 25 people standing around waiting to get seated.  I really do not see the big attraction with that place.  It seems overpriced, cash only, no free refills on drinks etc. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2019, 08:00:52 AM »
We were back at the city this morning.  We were there at opening and headed for TT first since we did not ride it yesterday.  It was about a 20 minute wait by that point.  We then headed toward the train but was not going to wait in that line.  Then we went to PK and it was walk on, rode the front row.  Walked on to WF, then headed to FITH and walked on twice.  Walked right on to TGS.  After that stopped by the RB and let the kid shoot water at passing boats for a while.  We heard the train coming so headed up there.  Station was full and we were toward the back, but when the gates opened we got right on the front row of car 3.  The show only had 1 robber and was a little different but had most of the same jokes as always.  I did not really see anything different.  After the train we left right around noon.  Headed into town and was going to eat at Billy Bobs because the kid wanted to, but the place was full and there were about 25 people standing around waiting to get seated.  I really do not see the big attraction with that place.  It seems overpriced, cash only, no free refills on drinks etc.

Sounds like a good visit overall....

I also dont get the Billy Bob's attraction..?  I know people swear by the place, best burgers in town, and obviously they have a great following, i just go else where.

The one big thing I do for food in Branson, is I ALWAYS eat a locally owned businesses.   I am a firm believer in support the local/mom and pop places if at all possible.  Usually better food, good portions and less money..

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2019, 03:09:02 PM »

I also dont get the Billy Bob's attraction..?  I know people swear by the place, best burgers in town, and obviously they have a great following, i just go else where.

The one big thing I do for food in Branson, is I ALWAYS eat a locally owned businesses.   I am a firm believer in support the local/mom and pop places if at all possible.  Usually better food, good portions and less money..

SAme for me. I cannot tell you the last time I was in a franchise type restaurant. Locals tend to be fresh made with better ingredients. Maybe a thread on local non buffet places is in order.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2019, 05:37:21 PM »
I'd support this

Quote from: Runner1960 link=topic=3968.msg78493#msg78493
date=1560197342

SAme for me. I cannot tell you the last time I was in a franchise type restaurant. Locals tend to be fresh made with better ingredients. Maybe a thread on local non buffet places is in order.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »
Sorry to interrupt this off-topic discussion on restaurants, but I thought people might like to see some coverage of the festival that is going on right now.

Star-Spangled Summer
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/06/star-spangled-summer-sdc.html

Reuben's Swashbuckling Adventure
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/06/reubens-swashbuckling-adventure-sdc.html
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2019, 04:29:26 PM »
My look at opening day of Star Spangled Summer and a preview of all that's there is posted up for you.

https://youtu.be/Xl6w-88Ooa4
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.