Author Topic: 2019 Trip Reports  (Read 76607 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Trip Reports
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
I dont think you will see the "hillbilly" look come back to Echo Hollow, 
If they are indeed trying to get in some big names. 
It will need to be more modern look, or in this case...... A very neutral look,
Just needs to be updated in size and "mechanics"..  as it is now.

I cant make an honest excuse for it.  Hillbilly was not the only way they could have gone with a theme.  I believe this was a big mistake.

My thought is IF they do get "big" names interested, they probably are not going to want to play at a venue that is heavily themed, let alone a HillBilly theme..

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
I suppose "names" are important in the current business model, but I prefer it when they don't use "names."  "Names" may bring in gate, but they also bring in elements who wouldn't normally come, and the result is often not what Miss Mary would have wanted.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »

I cant make an honest excuse for it.  Hillbilly was not the only way they could have gone with a theme.  I believe this was a big mistake.

Yeah, I agree. A few others sitting nearby, including a couple of kids, were commenting that they thought maybe it wasn't finished and are hoping they would bring back the theming.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2019, 03:36:55 PM »

My thought is IF they do get "big" names interested, they probably are not going to want to play at a venue that is heavily themed, let alone a HillBilly theme..

Hopefully it will draw a better lineup than they have done in recent years. This year is a couple tribute bands and one hit wonders. The new cleaner design would also allow for more bands with bigger production shows. 

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
I will be there June 3 for season pass appreciation days. Will have one BAF up for grabs if someone will be going and need one.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2019, 06:03:45 PM »
Oh yeah I dunno if this adds to the rumor and speculation that FITH is going away (or at least in its current form) but on my way out yesterday I noticed in the hospitality house a whole display dedicated to FITH merchandise placed on clearance. Considering what has been discussed on here, it does seem a bit alarming.

I purchased two shot glasses nonetheless.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »
And also here are a few snapshots and a video of Time Traveler in operation along with the revamped Echo Hollow area. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdsLj7oCtU

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:53:54 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
Great p[ics,  thanks..!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
Oh yeah I dunno if this adds to the rumor and speculation that FITH is going away (or at least in its current form) but on my way out yesterday I noticed in the hospitality house a whole display dedicated to FITH merchandise placed on clearance. Considering what has been discussed on here, it does seem a bit alarming.

I purchased two shot glasses nonetheless.

I looked for this yesterday, but didn't see it.  However, there was a clearance rack in the Marketplace that had the shot glasses for 88 cents.  Score!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
Here's our trip report from Bluegrass and BBQ
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2019/05/bluegrass-bbq-sdc.html

SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
Two things I also wanted to note from my trip yesterday, (see the 2020 thread for the bulk of it)

It was pretty awesome to see Flooded Mine backed up all the way out to the train depot on a week day. Haven't seen that in a long time.

Found yet more FITH stuff on clearance. These little basketballs were on sale for less than $3, another omen?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:10:35 PM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2019, 06:46:14 PM »

Found yet more FITH stuff on clearance. These little basketballs were on sale for less than $3, another omen?

Only an omen of merch they had left over from the last year or two and want to clear out to make room for more new merch.

If it was an omen of anything, then the train closed years ago when I bought my clearance "I Survived the Great Train Robbery" merch back in 2012.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2019, 08:22:32 PM »
Bare minimum FITH has one more season after this one. 
SWOOSH

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
We went today and it was wonderful! Great weather and not a huge crowd, but people there. The rides my son and I rode were mostly walk on or maybe a 10 minute wait if that.

The train robbery had an updated show. It was nice to hear some new jokes!

A couple things I noticed......new to me......outside the time traveler eatery.....on the rock wall island they installed tables in the rock wall so you could eat and have mini tables. In the planter part was what appeared to be tree trunks that had USB ports in there. They called them Ozark Electric Trees. So yall can now eat and charge your cellular devices at the same time. Each tree had 5-6 ports. Pretty neat.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2019, 10:10:49 PM »
OH nice! Someone in a vlog recently was showing how Dollywood has those little mini-tables & benches and I was hoping maybe we could get some like that at SDC. Glad to know SDC is getting them!