Author Topic: 2019 Trip Reports  (Read 76559 times)

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Trip Reports
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 05:21:55 PM »
We made a quick trip today!

I was nervous because we were directed to lot 6 at 10 am.

1. Noticed the cement at the clock right off! Yikes.
2. You could see where they patched spots in the asphalt on the square with cement.
3. The new TT area looked nice. They did a great job building that in. Went to get in line for TT for my first ride and the second we got down the flight of stairs and onto the bridge walkway they shut it down. No ride for us.
4. I really am not sure if I like the signage for the new eateries. They are nice. They are clean and well made. But they are not......original?
5. The crowd level wasnt bad considering. There were pockets of people. Nothing that I would call "crowded".
6. The line for powder keg was almost to the entrance! At 11 is. Nope. We dont have time today to wait in that line.
7. We went to get in line for FITH. People were walking out and we were told it was shut down for mechanical reasons.
8. Wildfire was a walk on. Still lots of fun some 20 years later.
9. AP was a walk on as well and a hoot! I just wish they would give this ride the attention it deserves.
10. FM was so much fun today! Did they add more targets?? It felt like it! It looked sooo nice. It was clean! I mean its not a dirty ride. But it looked like it got that attention!

We got pork rinds and a cookie at Sullivans Mill. Splurged on 6 pieces of taffy. Left by 1. Husband works tomorrow so it was not an all day event. Still a ton of fun and a really nice day. The square was pretty quiet when we left. I did not witness anyone coming in as we were leaving. HH was quiet.

Now I dont know how they determine parking, but Lot 2 & 3 were full by 1015. They began filling lot 6. When I left it was around 1/2 to 3/4 full? Lot 5 was empty.

All in all it was a quiet relaxing trip. We plan to go on the 10th for Festival of Wonder. :) Again another short trip.  Cant wait!

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 07:41:07 PM »
I bet this weekend will be a good weekend to go.  Looks like it is supposed to be rainy and cold Friday and/or Saturday so I bet that keeps the crowds down.  I am thinking about going even though I have been out of town the last 2 weekends in a row and have lots to do around the house.

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »
We went to the park yesterday for a few hours.  We were planning on going Friday but the weather changed our plans.  Since it was a little cooler than we’d prefer (we didn’t plan for cold weather on our trip) we decided to leave our condo around 10 and got to the park around 10:15. When we arrived they were still filling parking lot at Stop 2 and weren’t even half full.  It was going to be a good day!!  Jumped on a tram and was in the park in no time. 
We caught the Pickers show after entering and then attended our first ever church service in the chapel at 11.  We enjoyed the unique experience in a theme park and then decided to hit some rides.  We walked right onto FITH and we were sorely disappointed in the condition of the ride.  There was no audio recordings/music at all throughout the entire ride.  Even my wife made comments about it and she doesn’t pay much attention to those things.  She was asking about saying something to customer service or someone at the park.  It really is a shame.  We then walked right onto front row on PK and had a nice (although cold) ride.  They were running 3 trains which kind of surprised me.  We went over to WF, and the line was more than halfway through the cue.  Only running one train (go figure?) so we decided to go hit OR.  Once again, we walked right onto the ride and had another great ride including cold/wind induced tears!   We walked around the construction wall to see the new updates and the new Ribhouse location.  Attempted TT, but it was about a 45 min wait so we went to Wagon Works Grill and had a burger and then decided to check out the new Engine 14 and take a train ride.  Walked into the depot and were the first ones in line.  Waited about 10 minutes for train to arrive and boarded.  Good ride and a good show.  After the train ride, we hit FM and loved it.  Loved the new lighting and all of the working components and theming.  This just made the FITH ride even more disappointing. 
Walked over to the Culinary School and sampled a few snacks and took in the view of the construction on Echo Hollow from the back porch.  Walked around the Grand Expo (now that all of the kids are out of the house, we don’t make it down there all that often).  Decided to walk back up to the square and took in a taffy demonstration and sampled the fresh peanut butter taffy.  By, this time it was 3 and we decided to head out and start the 4-hour journey home.  It was a beautiful, but cool, day and the crowds were non-existent which was nice.  Our calendar looks pretty busy the rest of Spring and a May trip to Florida probably means we won’t be back until Summer. 

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2019, 04:03:25 PM »
So this coming weekend is the one to avoid like the plague, correct?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2019, 07:34:28 PM »
So this coming weekend is the one to avoid like the plague, correct?

Yep.  wont catch me with 4 hours of being there..  LOL

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
My wife, older son, and I plan to be there this Saturday.  We've got our room reserved at the Classic (somewhat higher rate--they appear to be all over the map), and plan a relatively lightweight day.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
My wife, older son, and I plan to be there this Saturday.  We've got our room reserved at the Classic (somewhat higher rate--they appear to be all over the map), and plan a relatively lightweight day.

When you check in, try to reaffirm with those guys the price is supposed to be 40.00 + tax,   you have a 50/50 chance they will understand and match the price.   But you need to let them know, or they will do as you said, charge a higher rate >:(

Have a good visit at the city..

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »
Just got back from another quick trip to SDC. We were able to make it right after 9am. Parked in lot 2. Yall it was great weather. I did not realize it but it was Math/Science day today. A couple bus full of kids were there. Not a problem from any of them.  :) :) :) The patch of cement was asphalted over! The patches of cement gone! I was so excited!!!! Squeeeee! Watched the Xtreme Pogo show. Made me nervous but my kid (12) loved it.  IT wasnt bad, but was loud and they played the wrong music. Not the typical banjo and violin I have come to expect. Lol.

Got in line for TT before rope drop. The line was not bad. If it were not for waiting in line for rope drop it would have been maybe 20 minutes? Son and I both liked the ride. We were first timers. But its not one I would wait longer than 15/20 minutes for. It was fun, but not a favorite. My son and I both like WildFire the best.

The train was next and a walk on. I am telling yall the crowd level today was perfect! Most rides were walk on to 5 minute wait. But on the train, it was just Alphie. Kinda of a bummer. The show wasnt rushed but the lines were off. I dont think it was something a non-native would have noticed. Still fun. They did a fine job. Construction on new ride is moving right along. They have more tunnel walls up and the cement foundation floor is looking nice.

RiverBlast was next and a walk on. Like I said crowd level was perfect. Could not have asked for better. Moseyed over to FL and checked around there. Nothing exciting. Then went and walked through the Foods of Wonder. Now yall know I HATE spending money on food. Its dumb. But it was husband and I anniversary so we saved to do so. I didnt end up getting anything. The Baptist penny pincher couldnt do it. But husband and son got the Cashew Chicken Fortune Cookie Waffle Cone deal. 10.99/cone. That was about the going price for foods in the Frisco. They liked it. It wasnt 10.99 good IMO. The waffle cone was chewy. Weird to me but husband liked it so the cone didnt shatter and spill contents. I give it a 5. Husband gave it a 7.

We rode AP, moseyed over to the pork rinds. Did you know they didnt give out samples anymore? Huh. Then up to Grandfathers Mansion. At this moment hubby was done and took a seat at the rocking chair in front of ice cream shop. Son and I did the GM. The "Walk Slowly"  bridge creaked! It made noise! I had never but one other time experienced the creak. It seems they put a bit of love on GM. :) :) :) Yay.

Perused Carries Candles. They still dont make the Silver Dollar City Signature Smell candle. (Woods, Smoke, Rain, Asphalt)

Ran into the Taffy shop for the "Will Power Special" of 8 taffy for 1.29. Perused the T Shirts and found some really cute vintage ones I liked but again the Baptist Penny Pincher couldnt do it. Left by 1. Husband works tomorrow so we didnt stay long.

It was a perfect day to be there. Warm, with a good breeze. Crowd level low. Ride lines short. I will say though the one thing I was bummed about is I didnt hear piped in banjo music. When we walked by a show it was loud teenager music. Small complaint I know. Not typical of what you would expect to hear. It was not offensive music either, just me being old and set in my music ways.

Good day, fun times and warm weather. They are moving right along on construction. You could see them working but didnt hear a peep from them. How do they manage that?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 06:38:23 PM »
Sounds like a perfect day..   Been a long time since I have been there on a day with less the 12-25,000 people or more.... :)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
When we were there on Sunday, Fire in the Hole was very sad. Literally no audio on the entire ride except for maybe the train sound. Makes me really think that it’s on its way out soon.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »
When we were there on Sunday, Fire in the Hole was very sad. Literally no audio on the entire ride except for maybe the train sound. Makes me really think that it’s on its way out soon.

I agree.  After seeing all of the progress that the amazing maintenance team at FM has made, it makes FITH look very sad.  Wish we could clone a certain FM maintenance member to help restore charm at other historic attractions around the park
SWOOSH

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
Went yesterday, April 12. The other thread said 5100 people there but seemed like a lot more than that. The weather was a little windy but otherwise was a really nice day

I mainly went to see the shows. I saw most of them... there were issues with all of them but cirqunique really. They definitely were not in their groove yet. The Phoenix Fire show had a false start and then about a 5 minute wait before the show actually started... with dead air the whole time. Was kind of awkward. The iharp extreme show also had some initial issues. I am sure everything will be worked out but really was surprised the shows were not tighter

I saw Eric Haines (Cute but corny), Cirqunique (I did not see this last year... it was enjoyable), Iharp extreme (I think they added the "extreme" to try to generate hype... as it was just typical harp music), Albert Lucas (they put him in worst theater for a juggler... but it was fun). I had the meat lovers nachos and that was good.

It certainly seemed like there were more people. The phoenix fire show was 90% full. The Cirqunique was 99% full. Most of the other shows were also pretty full. A few busses there for schools. Fairly crowded overall. but a great day to go

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
We were there yesterday as well.  Just left about 3 today.  It started out seeming like it was going to be busy at 9:30 but by around 1-2 it seemed like a ghost town.  We rode TT first this morning and waited about 10-15 minutes.  Waited about 10 min for PK, everything else we rode was walk on after that.  We ate lunch in the Mine, first time in 2 years.  Food seemed better than it was last time.  We were the only people eating in there at around 1:30.  Then walked on to TT again. 

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »
We went on Thursday the 11th. In the park shortly after 10 am. Stopped at the bathroom by Old Time Photos. Women's bathroom needed a deep cleaning -- several stalls had stuff swiped on the walls (puke, spilled drinks, etc.)

Had no trouble getting into the 10:30 saloon show -- really liked the new show, cast seemed into it, about 90 % full. From there we got right into FITH. Really sad that there was no audio, very strange. Then exited and went right into the Opera House for the 11:30 Cirque show. It was enjoyable and again about 90% full. From there we got some Chesters Chips (price increase from last year) and sat at the Lumbercamp dining area.

Stopped at the Riverfront bathroom -- stall walls and doors there needed cleaning, too, even more so than the other bathroom. Walked through the Grand Exposition and then went to FM. Rode it and walked back to Red Gold for the Phoenix Fire show. It was okay but I wouldn't go again if it returns next year. It was about 90 % full.

Then we walked back to the Dockside Theater for the Paint Jam, enjoyed it, about 80% full. RiverBlast was shut down due to a malfunction. Heard an announcement that they would try to get the people off the boats as soon as possible. The boats were stalled just before the return to the station.

Saw 2 school groups, one was a choir that performed near the ticket booths just before opening. Park really was not crowded. We didn't see the jugglers or the harpists (seems like the same performers just keep getting rebranded every year or 2) or the pogo stick guys. We heard the one man band briefly as we were exiting the park -- not impressed.

When I got home Friday I had a guest experience survey waiting for me in my email. In the comment section I went into detail about the bathroom cleanliness issue. However, I forgot to mention the issue with no sound on FITH.

Next visit will be during Bluegrass and BBQ.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 10:14:50 AM »
Saturday, 4/13:  Wife, elder son (21) and me.

It was said elsewhere that the attendance that day was 4400--no problem believing that.  I have never seen the City less crowded.  Weather was actually rather pleasant (if chilly) till about 2:30. 

We didn't get a chance to see the Pickers because they were inside to avoid competing with whatever was going on at the Gazebo.  I suspect the weather also influenced that decision.  This was our one disappointment.

The main objective of the mission was to see the harp show:  my wife and I are very much attached to Dearbhail Finnegan and her husband, Robin Slater.  The show was great.  It was interesting to see 6 harpists interacting on the music--and it was a delight to hear that they had collaborated on original arrangements for several of the pieces.

It was a joy to see some other old friends, too.  Perhaps the biggest attraction for me these days is getting to talk to and catch up with so many of the great citizens there.  I find them much more interesting than any number of coasters.

The Food of Wonder was uneven in quality, but I think the cold had something to do with that problem.  I just couldn't eat the pulled pork nachos before they got cold, so I can't really blame that on the park.  Portions were good, to be sure.  The grilled cheese was really very good.

We got down to the riverfront area this time, and I was amused by the thought that the Lost River really IS lost, now ;-)

WE were very happy to finally be able to restock our lye soap.  My wife bought a belt 9becasue she had forgotten hers).  She had it personalized, and we were pleased that the citizen at the register let her wear it till (we had paid, of course) until the artist was there to do the work.  Being able to come back late without hassles made the day more pleasant for my wife.

Got to ride behind #14 for the first time.  They may have to enlarge the squarehouse ;-)

We left as the rain started setting in (part of the original plan, not a response to the rain), so it hardly put a damper on us.

All things considered, we were quite happy, made more memories worth repeating, and came home tired but satisfied.