Author Topic: 2019 Trip Reports  (Read 76612 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Trip Reports
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
We will be going tomorrow for a few hours in the afternoon.  Maybe the rain will be moved out by then.  In any case, it will be nice to walk around with few other people there.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
Well, so far the weather looks like it's decent, but the rain is coming.  They might get a little time in before it starts to wash everything out.
I'll be there tomorrow (Thursday), which outside of a bit of wind looks to be a pretty decent day.  I'll do what I can to get photos and a video of the day posted Thursday night or Friday morning.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

kurtbach

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
Looking forward to those pics, Sir Willow.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:07 AM »
My lovely bride and I will be there at some point tomorrow afternoon and at some point Saturday morning, times dependent upon her Doctor's apt and so forth.

Staying at the Classic tomorrow night.

Will report on both.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
Had a great day today.  Uploading the photos now (there's a bunch, and starting to edit the video.  All goes well, hopefully I'll have it posted up by tomorrow morning.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
Visited the City Friday afternoon (call it 3 - 6) and Saturday morning (opening to noon).

First good thing--talking with and catching up with so many friends among the staff/entertainers.  It really is like a family reunion.

Second good thing--low numbers Friday afternoon, very relaxing.  Saturday morning crowd much larger and growing as we left.  We timed things just right to balance numbers and weather.

Third good thing--City looked good.  Clean, fresh.  Some places aren't open yet (we're still waiting to resupply with soap!) but the shops we went to had good stock.  Had to buy my wife a new pie plate since her last one got broken in the cabinet--great quality and price.

Fourth good thing (but one spot of trouble)--30 minute cycle on the train both times we rode.  The robbery has been change dup a bit, but it works well.  Only one damper on that show--the pistol doesn't go off reliably.  Conductor Kathy had to yell "Bang" on Friday afternoon."  I really wish the PTB wouldn't screw around with things like that.

Fifth good thing/First bad thing:  FM looks and sounds good.  But Saturday morning, when we went in, it was closed.  There was no one at the entrance to say it was closed; we--and several more--only learned when we got almost inside.  I don't know if it happened suddenly or not, but they really should have had someone at the stopping people before getting on the bridge.  Maybe just bad timing.

Sixth good thing--Food.  We ate our fill at Molly's Saturday morning and brought home cinnamon bread from Sullivan's, including the relatively new Time Traveler kind.  As they say, it don't get no better!

Seventh good thing--frequent shuttles, even when not crowded.

Eighth good thing--a $5 off $25 (or greater) purchase at the craft stores which printed out after one purchase.  It made another purchase easier!

No second bad thing--and 8:1 ratio is pretty darn good, and the one bad wasn't really all that bad.

All in all, a great first trip of the year.  Looking forward to several more!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »
@ pallalin - -   Sounds like a good visit,  got to see lots of stuff it sounds like...  good start to the year.../

Sorry about the trouble at Classic, I am still trying to find another location... ::)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 08:50:49 AM »
Sorry about the trouble at Classic, I am still trying to find another location... ::)

We sort of expected it. 

But you need not be sorry:  your groundwork has benefitted us all, and, frankly, we are all in your debt, which we too seldom acknowledge.  Thank You!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »

We sort of expected it. 

But you need not be sorry:  your groundwork has benefitted us all, and, frankly, we are all in your debt, which we too seldom acknowledge.  Thank You!

thanks, for that,..   

I just contacted KD, she is going to try to help me with contacting another motel. 
I also sent out another email to the Econo bunch.. ::)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 04:21:40 PM »
We were going to go see the Hughes show at tell them we were there because of her, but the Friday show was at 2, and we missed it.

Maybe next time.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »
Park opened at 9:30......was waiting in line for time traveler before gate drop, line stretched up to square (we were in line about ghost bridge)....got to TT building by 9:45 bottom que filled up behind us....at 10:15 they made announcement they were pausing operations to add second train.

I don’t understand with as many people in park before rope drop....why they were not ready with multiple train operations from opening.

Jay

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »
Saw the Hughes Brothers show last night.  Didn't see KD, but then I also haven't met her before.  But they were short a few family members and others due to illness.  Lots of junk going around.  Fun show though, and lots of changes from the past.  If you haven't seen them in a couple of years, go check them out as almost the entire show and set are all new since one of the brothers moved to California.

Stopped at the park for a couple of hours this morning.  Long lines, lots of people.  Took a ride on the train, saw the Petersens play, looked in a few shops and walked around the park, and headed out after 2 1/2 hours.  Just to busy for us.  But I'll bet all the new employees get their workouts and get a lot more comfortable in their roles after this weekend.  It's going to be crazy tomorrow.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
Just some quick notes on our first trip of 2019 (actually since 2017 - never made it last year).

Arrived at park at 8:15 and waited outside by tram drop off points until they opened turnstiles at 8:30. Walked into the square around just after 8:30 and went to Mary's for breakfast - killed some time before rope drop (bad idea).

To keep from writing a novel I'll just use bullet points:
1. Very Crowded today (Friday, 3/22/19)
2. Because of crowd, TT not opening exactly at 9:30, us waiting in line prior to park opening, and stopping to add second train on track - we waited 1hr 45min to ride. Ride maintained a long wait all day
3. All rides were full - Line for Flooded Mine reached beyond queue and up the hill.
4. Speakers on train ride were not clear, too much static, was hard to hear. But the robbers were funny and interacted very well with the group.
5. Food lines were long - so we skipped some our normal standards
6. We will be back after April 10th - missing too many of our favorite shops
7. Fire in the Hole was down every time we checked our app
8. Flooded mine seemed to be working very well (except for my gun, but I just grabbed the gun from the middle bench). Even saw the guy in the boat with the cannon move - that's a first for me.
9. Park seemed clean, people were friendly, everything I ate was good....no real complaints except the crowd was very big and lines were very long.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »
Saw the Hughes Brothers show last night.  Didn't see KD, but then I also haven't met her before.  But they were short a few family members and others due to illness.  Lots of junk going around.  Fun show though, and lots of changes from the past.  If you haven't seen them in a couple of years, go check them out as almost the entire show and set are all new since one of the brothers moved to California.

Stopped at the park for a couple of hours this morning.  Long lines, lots of people.  Took a ride on the train, saw the Petersens play, looked in a few shops and walked around the park, and headed out after 2 1/2 hours.  Just to busy for us.  But I'll bet all the new employees get their workouts and get a lot more comfortable in their roles after this weekend.  It's going to be crazy tomorrow.

Being "moms" assistant I would guess the K.D. wont be around much in the evening. Pretty sure her main hours will be daytime shift..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 10:35:59 PM »
SWOOSH