Author Topic: Retire the Old Tree ! I said it, discuss....  (Read 11006 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Retire the Old Tree ! I said it, discuss....
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »
I was noticing how it got the cold shoulder and it was shoved off in the corner this season.
In fact, the efforts seemed to go mostly into Midtown.  Not that there weren't other lights but special things.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Retire the Old Tree ! I said it, discuss....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:08:44 PM »
How is it shoved off in the corner? Isn't it pretty much the same setup as the last ten years or so?

It has been a bit outshown by midtown, I would agree. I didn't even get to watch it go during my last trip. I'll have to make a point to watch it this weekend since I do think they are probably working on the next iteration of the tree as we speak. We've been talking about how dated the tree looks for awhile now.

It has certainly been surpassed by Dollywood's new tree. I hear even Frontier city has a 5-story tree now? At the very least they have an interesting light show in the main street area. Gotta keep up with the competition. If not next Christmas, it'll come in 2020.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:12:30 PM »
It's very outdated at this point and there seems to be a lack of lights in general on the square when you enter it after walking through Midtown. The tree also has some sections that aren't working correctly and flash random colors.
The train could use some help too. There is only one light tunnel this year. Some houses have more lights than you go past on the train. I would love to see a fully synchronized display that goes with the music on the train. Obviously not the full ride, but maybe a song or two when you are back in the woods.

It probably isn't that bad. Just seeing it 5-6 times each year over the last 10 years makes it seem worse than it is for most guests.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:17:00 PM by mg »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:03:09 PM »
The tree does need replacing.  WOF has a 70’ tree with a lot more bells and whistles.  I disagree that the square needs more lights.  I think Midtown is overwhelming and it doesn’t need to spread anymore.  Maybe using brighter LED lights on the square would help?

The train is just fine.  There’s only ever been on tunnel of lights unless you were counting the lights in Sweet Mary’s Tunnel which is no longer done.  In fact they’ve been gone for a few years now.  I don’t think we need synchronized lights to music either.  That’s not the point of the ride. 
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »
I watched a video of Dolly introducing the new tree at Dollywood, and holy cow, am I ever jealous! It's SO beautiful! (I hope I get to experience it in person someday; I am ITCHING to go back to DW now that I've finally been there)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »
I concur. We need a new tree in the square

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
The lights have been getting bad for several seasons now.  I do hope a new tree is on the way. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
Yes, A new tree for sure. The current technology is so outdated. And , I know this will get hammered hard but Midtown is just Gaudy. Reminds me of Christmas Vacation with the Griswalds. I expect to see Cousin Eddie out there at any time. I will avoid it this year.

jsgoode

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »
I definitely agree. Part of me wants to say get a more traditional looking tree that doesn't do a show, and figure out a way to do a show in Midtown instead. That's probably not plausible though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
Yes, A new tree for sure. The current technology is so outdated. And , I know this will get hammered hard but Midtown is just Gaudy. Reminds me of Christmas Vacation with the Griswalds. I expect to see Cousin Eddie out there at any time. I will avoid it this year.

New tree for sure past due, 
taller,
new sytle LED's,
New puters to drive the new programming that is available, 
oh yes, NEW songs!, 

It is something that is way past due.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »
Well, I'm the killjoy here! The tree was working fine during the 5K.  I'll admit, there are better trees around, but I still kind of like the current one.  As far as brighter lights on the square, I hope not! (told you I was the killjoy). I'm not over the top crazy about midtown.  I walk through it each visit, I like it, admire it, and then feel a sense of relief after I exit it.  It's so "in your face" bright and big that I find it overwhelming. I hope they keep the somewhat softer lights on the square.  I wish they would just add more greenery and give it an old time look and feel - kind of like midtown used to be.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
As far as brighter lights on the square, I hope not! (told you I was the killjoy). I'm not over the top crazy about midtown.  I walk through it each visit, I like it, admire it, and then feel a sense of relief after I exit it.  It's so "in your face" bright and big that I find it overwhelming. I hope they keep the somewhat softer lights on the square.

Dont misunderstand, Mid Town is really intense, I agree that you might even say "over the top"  The square seems to be missing little touches that were present before the midtown addition.  Carnival lights strung, Different style trees with different lights ext.  I preferred the "special touches" not the mag lights they are using now to light midtown  lol.   

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
I've noticed that the park is almost completely 100% LED, including the cabins and church. The ONLY spot I noticed clear incandescent being used was on the old log fences by the homestead and leather shoppe.

Even just a few years ago, when things started going LED, the square (excluding the tree) was still incandescent. So it is already brighter than it used to be.

I like Christmas in Midtown, but I agree with Gilligan that it looks gaudy....especially from the square.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
Midtown for sure a little overkill, IMHO.. 
BUT the PTB wanted a new area,
they wanted to add 1.5 million lights,
They wanted to make a statement.
AND they did!!. 
good for them..

Square needs a little help, not alot, NOT like midtown,  just a little updating..

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
My friend and I went Wednesday night for the first time this year. She had gone with me last year to see the Midtown area as well... It is a lot.

Everything outside of Midtown seems kind of like an afterthought. Like... we had some extra lights let's throw them here. I think the downside of Midtown being SO bright and SO much is that everything else seems drab. And not having the lights across lake silver to reflect in the drained lake silver is kind of sad too.