Author Topic: Retire the Old Tree ! I said it, discuss....  (Read 11053 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Retire the Old Tree ! I said it, discuss....
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:37 PM »
I think we’ll see a lot of things from Dollywood’s Glacial Ridge next year.  I think a new tree and the Northern Lights portion would be a great makeover for the square starting next year. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »
Been agreed on the tree for a few years now.  Also wish they would turn the volume on it down.  Used to be real annoying when we were in the woods on the train listening to grandpa and all of a sudden you'd hear the tree go.  To loud and really showing it's age now.  I'd imagine it should be coming up soon for a replacement, but a lot of that will be up to the penny pinchers trying to be convinced it's worth the expenditure.

The train could use some help too. There is only one light tunnel this year. Some houses have more lights than you go past on the train. I would love to see a fully synchronized display that goes with the music on the train. Obviously not the full ride, but maybe a song or two when you are back in the woods.

The train has only had one light tunnel for years, since well before I started there in 2012- right by where moonshine stump is.  Unless you're also counting the regular tunnel, which may or may not have lights depending on how busy the train engineers were in putting lights and decor on the engines and passenger cars.  Those are often hidden by the smoke from the engine so putting lights in the regular tunnel was often a lower priority.

And as long as the engines are manually driven (which these always will be) there's not going to be any way to synchronize lights off the train with a music track on the train.  To many variables with changes in speed/ timing as it goes around the track- even from engineer to engineer and affected by other things. 

The music on the train is played on an mp3 player and each song is manually started by the conductor in back with them narrating while they are pausing/ switching tracks/ making sure it's playing the right one.  And we would often have to adjust the songs ourselves depending on how fast we were moving- cutting a song short or letting it play long, depending on how fast we were going, maybe fading another out to introduce grandpa if we were coming in quick, or if the song ended early then improvising a loonnnngggg intro to grandpa.  :-)

Since they've never been willing to spend the money to allow the robbers/ grandpa's mics be fed into the train sound system, they're not going to do a synchronized light display off train either.

But I certainly would like to see more lights out there.  Always liked the lights.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
Its been done. See the 2019 thread, folks.