Author Topic: Fire in the Hole changes coming?  (Read 9678 times)

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Fire in the Hole changes coming?
« on: November 12, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
Was in the City this past weekend and talked to a couple employees who stated that management is looking at FITH. Good news was that one option was to completely rehab it. Bad news was one option was to demolish it. Anyone hear any concrete information?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Fire in the Hole changes coming?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
It's definitely been an on-going discussion on here for years now, both FITH and Flooded Mine. Almost every year we ask if they are finally going to re-do one of them, but they keep them chugging along as-is.

It's only a matter of time really. Both are having trouble with basic wood rot and issues that haven't been kept on top of like they should have been. At this point I fear the park will want to gut or tear down both and rebuild with new versions. I wouldn't mind the "new" so much if they could keep some of the old theming and keep the same basic "feel" of the ride.

The current big rumor is that Lost River is being re-done for 2020 (based on tram announcements that it will be closed next year). I guess the earliest they could even start on one of the classics would be that year unless something really breaks or fails a major inspection.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
Best Case scenario would be they copy what was done at Dollywoods version. (Blazing Fury) It was apparently retracked a while back. Only concern is if they retheme it to be more PC friendly as it has already been done with a couple scenes. (gun shooting/hanging scenes)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »
Best Case scenario would be they copy what was done at Dollywoods version. (Blazing Fury) It was apparently retracked a while back. Only concern is if they retheme it to be more PC friendly as it has already been done with a couple scenes. (gun shooting/hanging scenes)

We’ve long passed best case scenario.  The building is the real issue, not the ride itself. I’d be surprised if they DON’T bulldoze it and build new.  There are a lot of new tricks they could incorporate and I’m not sold that the PTB would see the value in renovations vs new.  The ROI is better with new hence why so much of the old park keeps being leveled for newer versions. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
Only concern is if they retheme it to be more PC friendly as it has already been done with a couple scenes. (gun shooting/hanging scenes)

I sure hope they do!  :o :o

I am quite offended by some of the scenes...  ??? ???

And they need to change the "headlight" at the end.. It hurts my eyes...  ::) ::)

And what about the poor canaries.. all caged up and never fed?  Someone call PITA!!!! ;D ;D

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »

This a perfect opportunity to redo it with the show scenes using modern tech. The coaster at the bridge should have a drop track element ar the burning bridge followed by a slight launch into some dark elements.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments on your insights. It sounds like they ARE going to be doing something to FITH (and FM?) but removing them completely is not an option, right?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 01:13:57 PM »
Sure it's an option. Why wouldn't it be?

We have no idea what the park has planned or even what their true motivations are. The buildings might end up being declared total losses when they go in for a refurb, and then they end up deciding to build something completely different. They might just want something different in any case.

Who knows what will happen eventually. Looks like we get to enjoy them for at least another year in the mean time.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments on your insights. It sounds like they ARE going to be doing something to FITH (and FM?) but removing them completely is not an option, right?

Just because we would like to see them do something does't mean that they are doing something.  Don't read to much in there.  :-)

Something is going to need to be done with them eventually.  But that doesn't mean it's next year, or 2 years, or even 5 years from now.  I would think that the overall condition of the buildings/ rides would mean they'd have to do something in the next 5 years, but that's only a guess based on outside observation.  Not from anything within the company itself.

As to what it would be- who knows?  It could be bare minimum to keep them as it is.  Maybe track work.  Maybe an overhaul.  Maybe a revamp. Maybe completely flattening- in which case who knows if htey would rebuild, replace or just forget it.  It could be anything anywhere along those lines.

Simple bottom line- no one here at this point knows.  And the couple that might have an actual inkling aren't going to comment because they aren't allowed to.  And even what might be in the possibilities now could easily change in the near- or far- future based on a variety of factors.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
Shoot it’s probably changed at least 5 times today.  The PTB are at the “toy store” this week (known as IAAPA)
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:07 PM »
This a perfect opportunity to redo it with the show scenes using modern tech. The coaster at the bridge should have a drop track element ar the burning bridge followed by a slight launch into some dark elements.
Like it was using the old tech of 40 years ago?

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 03:00:30 PM »
Y'all, they need to do some work with FitH. Now, honest review, haven't rode since 2016. It was beginning to get rough. Or I am getting old which is a valid option. I love this ride. Now I do love this ride and am pretty sure I have been caught singing the theme song more than once. However, even my 60 year old FIL needed heart surgery from his wild years of hard work. I know its hard to see little bits go and soon it won't be the park we know. But as of today, it's not the park I knew back in the 90's. It's my son's idea of what it should be and I am happy that he has that like I did.