Author Topic: 2019 SDC Refill Tumbler  (Read 17252 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 SDC Refill Tumbler
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »
I think that it is a little over priced, and my family uses two of the mugs they sell now and we use them both frequently, but we normally refill ours at the pizza place that is next to the path to enter the farm area with Outlaw Run, you can get free refills because nobody watches at the Freestyle machines there to see if they went through to actually buy refill, so you can get away with free refills there. unless they increase the price of the refills or the price of the current mugs, I don't see any reason why we would get one. Also I'm new to the forum so hi everyone!

First off , Welcome to the board. Second, unless you clarify it better you sound like you are saying its ok to steal if no one catches you. Sorry, but I cannot agree with that.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 04:04:36 PM »
I think that it is a little over priced, and my family uses two of the mugs they sell now and we use them both frequently, but we normally refill ours at the pizza place that is next to the path to enter the farm area with Outlaw Run, you can get free refills because nobody watches at the Freestyle machines there to see if they went through to actually buy refill, so you can get away with free refills there. unless they increase the price of the refills or the price of the current mugs, I don't see any reason why we would get one. Also I'm new to the forum so hi everyone!

First off , Welcome to the board. Second, unless you clarify it better you sound like you are saying its ok to steal if no one catches you. Sorry, but I cannot agree with that.

@ Runner-- Agreed!

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
We have several of the $1 refill mugs so I do not think I will be buying this, unless they stop honoring the grandfathered mugs.

They have stopped honoring them.  I was told that this summer and actually shown the memo.
We used our Buzz Saw mugs just this past weekend several times, and used them a few weeks ago as well.

I think the question is how are they honoring them.  Are they totally doing away with the grandfathered in mugs and just doing the current year....or are they doing away with the $1.00, $1.50, etc, and just charging current refill price for these mugs?

They charged us $1

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »

That's the way I read it, also.  That is never okay!

@ Runner-- Agreed!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »
I also paid a buck, using my Buzz Saw Falls cups.. ;D

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 07:54:58 PM »

Sand! What the he**? You have all the luck, and I get turned down all the time! And, I show them my cup and argue like you told me to!!  :o

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »

Sand! What the he**? You have all the luck, and I get turned down all the time! And, I show them my cup and argue like you told me to!!  :o

Not sure what to tell you,  they never question it..    omce or twice I have been charged 1.50,  But usually 1.00  .. !!

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 08:44:34 PM »
I have never even had them question it or try to charge me more than $1.  Last year, this year, last week, etc.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 09:21:46 PM »
Is it younger employees that people are having bad luck with getting mugs honored? This is purely speculative but I bet corporate/management intentionally neglects to tell the teens and 20 somethings about the grandfathered older mugs and their pricing to get them to upsell the new ones. Reason being, I had dealt with some teenagers at a drink stall back in the summer who I had to show the stamped refill price to on my Powderkeg mug. They had no idea they had different priced mugs and called over another (older) employee who who then confirmed it to them and honored it.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »
As an F & B and Pro,p guy I say SDC gives any old mug when its turned in face value or $12 towards the price of the $50.00 mug that will hold 20 oz and will have a barcode on the bottom that only allows you to fill it so many times per hour.  Its a good system but cups all over.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 07:05:50 AM »
couple of good ideas there.

@1-  I for one would keep my older vintage cups,  other people probably would jump on the deal!

#2- Bar code is a good idea, biggest problem would make one that is wash resistant for a year.? 
Maybe they could scan you SP or entry ticket..  same idea-  1 refill per hour per pass, 
BUT that would not eliminate "sharing" the cup between 2 or 3 people, which would be cheating or actually stealing... 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
UT that would not eliminate "sharing" the cup between 2 or 3 people, which would be cheating or actually stealing... 

This was just a copy of what WDW was doing in water parks 10 years ago.  Under the fountains were the readers, I thought it was very smart.  Seems like the 300% jump in drink cup is pretty steep, SDC with the new pricing survey seems like they are trying to step into WDW territory and that would be jumping over several middle rungs straight to the top tear pricing.   But top pricing for middle of the road attractions. Not smearing SDC but it aint Disney and they have many many millions to go before they have customers walking away ready to repeat those memories at those prices. This is middle America, reach too far out and they will have a rude awakening.  Remember Celebration City. 

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
Is it younger employees that people are having bad luck with getting mugs honored? This is purely speculative but I bet corporate/management intentionally neglects to tell the teens and 20 somethings about the grandfathered older mugs and their pricing to get them to upsell the new ones. Reason being, I had dealt with some teenagers at a drink stall back in the summer who I had to show the stamped refill price to on my Powderkeg mug. They had no idea they had different priced mugs and called over another (older) employee who who then confirmed it to them and honored it.

Nope, couple 40ish girls at stand in front of Red/Gold, the stand that sells the potato chip basket, the skillet vendor by the waterfall, and Echo Hollow (older lady).

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »
I'm struggling with the $50 price for this myself.  I think that $30 would have been a much better price point for it.
Even though we buy a couple of the mugs each year, after we pay for the mug and the refills I don't think we come anywhere near $50 worth of drinks out of it.  Adding it up, I'm betting we're closer to $25-30 for each mug and all the refills we get.  Most of the time we fill them with water anyways.
I wonder what they'll be doing for souvenir cups and refills for regular park guests.  But right now I'm pretty sure it's going to be a no go on the $50 mug from us.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »
FYI I just checked their website and in the FAQ it still has the line about honoring pre 2012 mugs.