Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2019)  (Read 36848 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Your Travels Thread (2019)
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »
JANUARY
1 - Silver Dollar City - New Year's Celebration
15 - Sea Life Kansas City

FEBRUARY
23 - Wonders of Wildlife National Museum
23 - Wonders of Wildlife Aquarium

MARCH
2 - St. Louis Zoo
17 - Silver Dollar City’s Spring Ride Days
20 - Rowdy Bear Gravity Coaster
20 - Rowdy Bear Mountain Glider
20 - Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
21 - Dollywood - Festival of Nations
21 - The Great Smoky Mountain Wheel
22 - Dollywood
22 - Rocky Top Mountain Coaster
23 - Smoky Mountain National Park
23 - Anakeesta
23 - Rail Runner at Anakeesta
23 - Dueling Zipline at Anakeesta

APRIL
6 - Six Flags St. Louis - Spring Break Days
12 - Worlds of Fun Opening Day
19 - Silver Dollar City - Festival of Wonder

MAY
12 - Silver Dollar City - Bluegrass & BBQ
26 - Oceans of Fun
27 - Hurricane Harbor St. Louis

JUNE
9 - Silver Dollar City - Star-Spangled Summer
24 - Six Flags Great America
25 - Canada's Wonderland
26 - Canada's Wonderland
27 - Niagara Falls
27 - Seabreeze Park
28 - Six Flags Darien Lake
29 - Six Flags New England
30 - Kennywood

JULY
1 - Cedar Point
2 - Kings Island
19 - Adventureland

NOVEMBER
27 - Magic Kingdom
28 - Animal Kingdom
29 - Universal Studios Florida
30 - Islands of Adventure

ANAKEESTA

RAIL RUNNER

DUELING ZIPLINES
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:44:43 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2019, 07:46:30 PM »
JANUARY

FEBRUARY

MARCH
2 - St. Louis Zoo
22 - Dollywood
23 - Anakeesta
31 - Silver Dollar City - My Birthday

APRIL

MAY
26 - Oceans of Fun

JUNE
25 - CN Tower
25 - Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada
26 - Canada's Wonderland
27 - Niagara Falls Park
27 - Cave of the Winds
27 - Maid of the Mist
27 - Aquarium of Niagara
27 - Seabreeze Park
28 - Six Flags Darien Lake
30 - Kennywood

JULY
1 - Cedar Point
2 - Kings Island
19 - Adventureland

NOVEMBER
27 - Magic Kingdom
28 - Animal Kingdom

DOLLYWOOD

FESTIVAL OF NATIONS

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:13:00 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2019, 11:58:40 AM »
I was waiting to get home to start my reports but I just finished up Europa Park. Stunning, absolutely stunning. Impressed beyond expectations. Spotless and the landscaping, BG-Williamsburg isn't even in the same ballpark.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:23:03 PM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »
^Very cool. Europa Park/Phantasialand/etc. is on my must-do list sometime in the next five years.

I changed my plans around for this summer and am now all booked for a quick trip to Orlando in August. I was going to head out to Kennykon, but there was so much up in the air for me this year that I didn't get my air and hotel tickets locked down and the prices skyrocketed, among other issues. Just wasn't worth it this time, but it's on the list for next year definitely.

I'm planning on hitting up both Fun Spots, Magic Kingdom, and Seaworld. I was tempted to try and do BG Tampa, but I think I'll come back and hit it when the new RMC is built and broken in a bit.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
^Very cool. Europa Park/Phantasialand/etc. is on my must-do list sometime in the next five years.

I changed my plans around for this summer and am now all booked for a quick trip to Orlando in August. I was going to head out to Kennykon, but there was so much up in the air for me this year that I didn't get my air and hotel tickets locked down and the prices skyrocketed, among other issues. Just wasn't worth it this time, but it's on the list for next year definitely.

I'm planning on hitting up both Fun Spots, Magic Kingdom, and Seaworld. I was tempted to try and do BG Tampa, but I think I'll come back and hit it when the new RMC is built and broken in a bit.

BG in Tampa isn't as easy to get to as it once was as I-4 is a nightmare these days.

I didn't snap near enough pics on the queues at Europa. Wodan with it's glowing blue glass and the Thors Hammer pre show was top notch. The amount of animatronics for a simple, average wild mouse coaster was excessive in a food way. The best thing about the coaster was the elevator lift that rocked side to side.

Mack has the spiral lift down withbit being used on EuroMir and the new Moulin Rouge ride in their small epcot ball. I can see them using it for a new FITH at SDC. Again, all I know is that SDC missed out on Mack doing a show building for the first launch of Time Traveler. After seeing Europa park is all the more disappointing. Arthur is an amazing ride with its little indoor section with a slide and such. If someone got them to thrill up the coaster a bit it could be even more amazing than it is. I'm sure the coast of that ride leaves it only availible to the Disney and Universals of the world. They could absolutely do groundbreaking studf with their IPs with that. All I could think is a revamped Peter Pan with this system

We arrive at Phantasialand tomorrow, plan on swimming in the afternoon at the Ling Bao pool and getting our afterhour hotel guest ride time on Taron. Spending the whole day Mon at the park. Right now I'm sitting in Aachen with a  Radler in my hand after our visit to Copenhagen . We landed at Chaleroi and planned on hitting up the Walibi near there. Nope, no way. After two amazing days at Copenhagen with a perfect evening in Tilovi in the mid 60s we came back to the hell that is mainland Europe right now. It is only supposed to be 80 tommorrow though. When we left Puy du Fou and our time in Normandy(cool temps there) and headed to Mont St. Michel and then to Nantes it was 98 without the heat index added in. Talk about swamp balls.

If anyone is interested in my photos please PM me your name and I will shoot you a friend request on facebook.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:34:53 PM by chittlins »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
I'd love to get out to the European parks one day.  They sound incredible.

One bit of clarification though:

Mack has the spiral lift down withbit being used on EuroMir and the new Moulin Rouge ride in their small epcot ball. I can see them using it for a new FITH at SDC. Again, all I know is that SDC missed out on Mack doing a show building for the first launch of Time Traveler. After seeing Europa park is all the more disappointing.

Mack would not have been doing the show building, or the elements inside of it.  That would have been other companies.  Mack builds the rides and the elements directly tied in and related to the operation of the ride, but other things like show elements, manequins/ animatronics, set pieces, theming, etc are all done by unrelated companies, possibly even local contractors, or even other companies like Sally, for example, who provided some of the non screen pieces on the Justice League rides at Six Flags parks.

I agree that it would have been really nice if SDC had those elements they hinted at earlier on, but they're not related to Mack in any way.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2019, 02:33:57 AM »
I'd love to get out to the European parks one day.  They sound incredible.

One bit of clarification though:

Mack has the spiral lift down withbit being used on EuroMir and the new Moulin Rouge ride in their small epcot ball. I can see them using it for a new FITH at SDC. Again, all I know is that SDC missed out on Mack doing a show building for the first launch of Time Traveler. After seeing Europa park is all the more disappointing.

Mack would not have been doing the show building, or the elements inside of it.  That would have been other companies.  Mack builds the rides and the elements directly tied in and related to the operation of the ride, but other things like show elements, manequins/ animatronics, set pieces, theming, etc are all done by unrelated companies, possibly even local contractors, or even other companies like Sally, for example, who provided some of the non screen pieces on the Justice League rides at Six Flags parks.

I agree that it would have been really nice if SDC had those elements they hinted at earlier on, but they're not related to Mack in any way.

We know that SDC high ups did tour Europa Park. This park is littered with special effects and animatronics, littered.

Wodan and couple of other queues had snack stands midway, Wodan even had a restroom at about the 30 minute away mark. Here is a decent walk through of Wodan's queue. The 5 :20 mark gets you close to the Thor's hammer bit where it "shakes" the timbers and moves the floor
https://youtu.be/72Fo9zeNagU
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:42:36 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »
Phantasialand Trip Report.

Taron is awesome. The second launch is what makes it. It shoots you up a waterfall and you feel the splashes as you zoom by. Head choppers galore, there's an awesome airtine hill at the beginning and end. Experience them in the back and the head coppers and launches in front. The only complaint is the second quick side to side switch after the first launch can be painful. During regular hours you are assignesd the rows in which you will sit. That is what made the hotel guest 1 hr after close special, you could choose. Single rider does you no good it seems on wait times.

Raik, the Vekoma shuttle coaster that is junior to Toraon for the little one. It is OK. I'd much rather have a Vekoma junior invert.

Chipas, their relatively new log flume is outstanding. Two big drops with one backwards. Excellent themeing through out and the last, massive drop is water coaster like and thrilling
This is the best 'log flume' I've been on.

Black Mamba, excellent B&M invert. Still very smooth.
The centerpiece of the Africa area and really only ride all framed by Hotel Matamba.

Colorado River Mine Train. All references to Micheal Jackson is toast. This ride is jerky but fun. The trains are extremely long and there's some airtime to be had at a coast of it being more jerky than the front. No more jerky than Powerkeg really but it is long so it adds up.

Wingas Fear and Force. I perfered Fear. Each has some trick tricks treatments that make them a bit different. Really don't spin as much as you think they would. Plus on it being indoors with another ride placed in the middle of them.

River Quest, their raft ride, has evevator lift to a large drop that can drench you. Couple of other drops that can get you. Not much of a river feel, it's just a ride on water with plenty static props to keep it in theme to medeval times.

Mystery Castle is also part of the medieval area. It is lauch/drop tower combo, it is much like Hollywood Tower with a little umpff. The effects are rather sparse.

Chocolate e Mouse, a dark ride for the younger set. Their take on Rat at Disneyland Paris Studios.

There are other rides but They are older and I'm not taking the time on them.

The park's areas are well themed, they have well themed queues but are more akin to SDC. Sparse animatronics, hust well done formed concrete and static props. You can see the other Countries from each other so the transitions isn't as well done as Disney or Europa. Inside the park ffod is good and reasonable for theme parks. You could get a big basket of fries for around 3 in us dollars. We had a 10 chicken nuggets that were decent with fries and a coke, a big order of chicken lo mien and a basket of 5 spring rolls for 18 euro. Portions were good and it fed us well. As with all parks I've been to, we brought in a backpark full of snacks and and a couple of liter bottles of soda. Phantasialand didn't even search at the hotel gates.  If I was foing to build a park. I'd model it after Phantasialand in terms of set up with a bit betrer job of seperating the very well done regions. Once again, they do everything they can to make the most of their space with you ofter finding a major ride incorporating smaller rides, often kiddie, within it's footprint.

FLY looks like it will be intriguing.

I Want to come back for their winter season some day as park of a christmas market trip much Like I want to hit up Europa again one day as part of Octoberfest.

I feel no need to ever visit Port Aventura or Puy du Fou again. Great Parks and I'll report on them.

Tivoli is amazing for what it is but I also am not goint out of my way to get back though we plan on a Northern Europe cruise one day. Copenhagen has been the most expensive town to visit. Be prepared if you ever go. Paris was cheaper overall. I'll be doing a report on every park but did this one while drinking some beer and eating some bratwurst at Gulden Brauhaus in Mulheim on the banks of the Rhine. On our transition night from Phantasialand to Efteling. I like Bavaria much better but it was cool seeing Charlemange's tomb at Aachen. These towns were damaged so much by WW2, they just have too much a post war feel and the graffiti is even that good compared to other places. It hasn't been too hard to communicate, hell thay all play english laungue music. Anyone under 30 seem well versed in English. Copenhagen, some don't even have accents and you see a mix of Danish and English  all over the place.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:50:46 PM by chittlins »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
Chittlins, are you going to do Rhein Aflame while you're there? The Bingen section is Saturday the 6th.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2019, 08:54:06 PM »
Finally back home.  Time to start cranking out PTRs
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2019, 07:16:35 PM »
JANUARY

FEBRUARY

MARCH
2 - St. Louis Zoo
22 - Dollywood
23 - Anakeesta

APRIL

MAY
26 - Oceans of Fun

JUNE
25 - CN Tower
26 - Canada's Wonderland
27 - Six Flags Darien Lake
27 - Seabreeze Park
28 - Niagara Falls Park
28 - Cave of the Winds
28 - Aquarium of Niagara
28 - Maid of the Mist
30 - Kennywood

JULY
1 - Cedar Point
2 - Kings Island
2 - Kings Island - Grand Carnivale
13 - Worlds of Fun - Grand Carnivale

AUGUST
1 - Adventureland

NOVEMBER
27 - Magic Kingdom
28 - Animal Kingdom

SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA

SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »
JANUARY

FEBRUARY

MARCH
2 - St. Louis Zoo
22 - Dollywood
23 - Anakeesta

APRIL

MAY
26 - Oceans of Fun

JUNE
25 - CN Tower
26 - Canada's Wonderland
27 - Six Flags Darien Lake
27 - Seabreeze Park
28 - Niagara Falls Park
28 - Cave of the Winds
28 - Aquarium of Niagara
28 - Maid of the Mist
30 - Kennywood

JULY
1 - Cedar Point
2 - Kings Island
2 - Kings Island - Grand Carnivale
13 - Worlds of Fun - Grand Carnivale

AUGUST
1 - Adventureland

NOVEMBER
27 - Magic Kingdom
28 - Animal Kingdom

RIPLEY'S AQUARIUM of CANADA

SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2019, 05:37:28 AM »
Chittlins, are you going to do Rhein Aflame while you're there? The Bingen section is Saturday the 6th.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2019, 05:40:50 AM »

No, we flew home yesterday. We drove through Antwerp on the 5th and it appeared to be a massive fun fair there but we had to get close to BRU for our flight. Antwerp traffic is fierce.

See if this link works for you

Tivoli:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10211754055400576&id=1644354319
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:04:35 AM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
JANUARY