Author Topic: Food for thought  (Read 6248 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »
The Ozarks are basically Swiss cheese as far as caves go. Do y'all ever worry about the number of roller coasters that they are building above one?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Food for thought
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:15:01 PM »
No... they don't just throw these things together. There's quite a bit of engineering done. Time Traveler had a ton of earthwork done for it that apparently included filling in a sinkhole/cave opening. Rumored to be one of the reasons some of the thematic stuff in the concept pitches didn't make it to the final product.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
They also do a lot of sounding/ testing of the ground where they are planning to put in a coaster so they don't randomly drop a support into a cave and risk collapse- of either the tunnel or the support/ coaster.  Even with all of the coasters around SDC they've been careful and sure to not build over any caverns that they know of.

I hadn't heard that they actually filled in a cave opening, but it's possible. What I heard was that it took a lot more cement to shore up the hill side than they expected and that's where a lot of the cost went.  Time Traveler should have been far enough away from the cave that it shouldn't have been a problem, but it's easily possible they found a small one when doing the ground testing and checks and had to work on it some.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
Well I don't know about caves but I can sure say that parts of the TNT track sure have shifted or sunk a little since they started on TT.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
Well I don't know about caves but I can sure say that parts of the TNT track sure have shifted or sunk a little since they started on TT.

Hence why I am thinking any future coaster expansions need to be out by the WB/Employee parking lot and out past WF/PK along the railway. A non inverting GCI Woodie or a Mystery Mine/Fire Chaser type coaster would be great for the former area and an out and back hyper would be a great fit using the terrain on the latter.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 06:38:12 PM by sdcfan88 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:56:37 PM »

Hence why I am thinking any future coaster expansions need to be out by the WB/Employee parking lot and out past WF/PK along the railway. A non inverting GCI Woodie or a Mystery Mine/Fire Chaser type coaster would be great for the former area and an out and back hyper would be a great fit using the terrain on the latter.

Give me a sweet little GG airtime machine. See Kentucky Kingdom's on the way.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »
GG’s age like milk. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »

Noninverting woodie(though I like the new GH better than the new GCIs I've ridden) and a Hyper would really round out SDC.