Author Topic: New Attraction for Branson. A Cross north of town on 65.  (Read 7469 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
New Attraction for Branson. A Cross north of town on 65.
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
Have you heard about this? over 200 feet tall, tallest one in america,  so tall it has to have clearence lights for air planes..

I have mixed thoughts about this project..

whats your thought?

this link should take you to pictures and info, (( I couldnt find a website that wasnt more sales pitch than info. ))

http://www.1branson.com/forum/t82700.html

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: New Attraction for Branson. A Cross north of town on 65.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 04:17:17 PM »
Frankly, I don't get it.  Not sure what they are accomplishing or what the point of it is.  All by itself, there's not even really a reason to stop and see it as if it was part of a larger attraction (e.g. the one in Eureka Springs at the Great Passion Play).

I've driven by several of these "giant crosses" at various times, such as the ones in Texas and New Mexico, and never stopped and had no desire to.  Other than something to see as you drove by, they seemed pointless to me. And there's plenty to see on 65 that it really didn't need this.

And from the "Christian Pastor" perspective, this will do absolutely nothing to "grow the faith" or convince people of much of anything they don't already feel or believe either anymore than beating them with a stick would.

*shrug*  really seems like a waste of a lot of money to me.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 04:25:24 PM »
I saw this for the first time yesterday and I will say that from the one vantage point it is a really cool sight going south... And I say this as someone who is VERY not christian...

BUT... I have issues with the money being spent for this as a "witnessing" tool. There are so many unfortunate people in the Springfield and Branson area and that $2 million could have went a long way towards helping the community. A LONG way...

And I guess this falls into the "What Would Jesus Do" category as I am pretty sure THIS is not how he would have spent that money. For that matter... Seems like this is a blatant "graven image" that was also banned...

I guess I don't get it. And the "tears" are creepy AF when you get to a point where they are obvious

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
It makes sense that out of all the giant tacky crosses littering the country, Branson would get the biggest and the tackiest.

I guess I understand the reasoning behind the tear drops, but why go with such crappy clip art versions?

Why do these things always look so cheap despite costing millions of dollars?

Has anyone ever accomplished anything with one of these giant crosses besides satisfying some kind of ego-trip?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
I've driven by several of these "giant crosses" at various times, such as the ones in Texas and New Mexico, and never stopped and had no desire to.  Other than something to see as you drove by, they seemed pointless to me. And there's plenty to see on 65 that it really didn't need this.

Actually, the cross in Groom, Texas, is more than just a cross. We visited back when I was a kid, and they have bronze statues with scriptures that walk you through the whole day of the crucifixion, and then at the back, they have an "empty tomb" and stuff. Even though I'm not religious any more, I do feel like I still appreciate the work that went into the Groom display.

But other than that, well... you and everyone else has pretty much said what I feel. This thing in Branson is really not necessary.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
I don’t see how it’s hurting anything.  If you don’t like it, look the other direction as you go bye.  It’ll be a landmark - not necessarily in a religious way, but more of a “you’re almost to Branson because you passed the cross” sort of thing.

SWOOSH

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
Swoosh... I don't think it is hurting anything at all. I just wish the money had been spent to take care of the poor/needy or less fortunate... The thing Jesus and the church did for years until the last 30 or so where it became about something else entirely. And that is just my skewed opinion as I live in Springfield and really not far from my house are many less fortunate. I see them out and I am just as guilty for not necessarily trying to help. I should often practice my own words...

It will definitely be used from a landmark standpoint. I just have a feeling it is not going to be kept up and will be an eyesore in a few years.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
Just another reason to not give money to churches. Ill stick with a good highly rated charity. This will be a giant Albatross on the landscape.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »
Swoosh... I don't think it is hurting anything at all. I just wish the money had been spent to take care of the poor/needy or less fortunate... The thing Jesus and the church did for years until the last 30 or so where it became about something else entirely. And that is just my skewed opinion as I live in Springfield and really not far from my house are many less fortunate. I see them out and I am just as guilty for not necessarily trying to help. I should often practice my own words...

It will definitely be used from a landmark standpoint. I just have a feeling it is not going to be kept up and will be an eyesore in a few years.

All those gaudy cathedrals in Europe I'm going to visit next year happened in the last 30 years or so. Thanks for the info. 8)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 10:47:00 PM »

Why do these things always look so cheap despite costing millions of dollars?

I ask myself that every time I drive thru Texas

But...I also ask myself , "why didn't SDC spring for a truckload of mulch to spread over the ground to blend in the landscape and cover the harsh looking red dirt on their coaster projects?"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 09:07:39 AM »
I for one vote that we build a cross along 65 before somebody opens a mosque for those buying up hotels in Branson.  Nothing wrong with the cross, it stands for values to me, nobody's perfect nor will they be.  But this is a reminder.  I like passing the one in Effingham IL and I will soon have this one as a mile marker.  I am good with it, beats the gold-domed alternative. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
Actually, I quite like mosques. They feature some very gorgeous architecture. Heck, I even like a lot of the Mormon temple architecture, despite absolutely not being a fan of that particular church (I grew up in an off-shoot that thankfully has progressed with the times and never felt like a cult).

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »
Wow.  Some very narrow-minded comments in this thread. 
The cross is here to stay.  The owners could care less what you think. 
Don’t like it? Look the other way.  It’s their money, this is what they wanted to spend it on. 
At the end of the day, who cares. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »
Spending other peoples money is always the easiest opinions to give.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »
Spending other peoples money is always the easiest opinions to give.

QFT.  #feelthebern
SWOOSH