Author Topic: More ADA news about parks  (Read 7020 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
More ADA news about parks
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
This is specifically about Disney, but we've had discussions about the American with Disabilities Act as it applies to SDC. I don't think it belongs in SDC talk, nor other parks talk, so I'm putting it in Random Talk.

I quote from law professor Eugene Volokh's "Short Circuit" roundup of recent U.S. Circuit Court decisions.

"Disney theme parks accommodate individuals with cognitive disabilities by allowing them to skip the line for all rides with wait times of less than 15 minutes (which is most rides) and to schedule appointments at rides with longer wait times. They are never required to wait in lines. Parents (in 30 separate lawsuits): Not good enough. Our kids still have meltdowns. Eleventh Circuit: Disney might not be complying with the ADA."

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: More ADA news about parks
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
I heard a complaint once that we should shut the cave down because it's not ADA compliant.  ::)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
I heard a complaint once that we should shut the cave down because it's not ADA compliant.  ::)

Well if they would just move it someplace flat and smooth the whole thing out it wouldn't be a problem.  ;-P
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:26:10 PM »

Well if they would just move it someplace flat and smooth the whole thing out it wouldn't be a problem.  ;-P

If they move the cave someplace flat, they should go ahead and move the whole park.  Those hills... ;D! And, then close the restaurants because as someone with celiac, I can't eat at them.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:59:45 AM »

Yup better take it out like the Waterboggen ride. (among others)  ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 06:38:42 AM »
Zombie Thread Alert!  :o

The real question is why you felt the need to revive it
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »

Less than three months makes it a zombie thread?

The real question is why you felt the need to question why another member wants to comment on something.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 05:17:01 AM »
Granted the original post above was playing along with the obvious sarcasm, to answer both, Dollywoods Waterboggen ride is being reported by several sources to be getting ripped out for the same reasons as SDC's. Scroll down to "DWsuperfan's" post: https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23793&start=17170

If any remaining rides of this type exist at other parks, don't be surprised to see their days being numbered too. A sign of the times I guess.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:38:50 AM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:27 AM »

The real question is why you felt the need to question why another member wants to comment on something.

Because Joshua literally added NOTHING to the thread.  If he were to have added pertinent breaking news to the thread it would have never been questioned.  Do you understand now Craig? Sheesh next time stay in your own lane and we won’t have to waste a post to explain something so obvious. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 07:54:49 AM »
Granted the original post above was playing along with the obvious sarcasm, to answer both, Dollywoods Waterboggen ride is being reported by several sources to be getting ripped out for the same reasons as SDC's. Scroll down to "DWsuperfan's" post: https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23793&start=17170

If any remaining rides of this type exist at other parks, don't be surprised to see their days being numbered too. A sign of the times I guess.

So why didn’t you post it in THAT thread which would have made more sense as there was discussion already happening there?  Come on Joshua, you’re better than this. 
SWOOSH

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Literally the words yup, better, like, Waterboggen, among, and others were added to the thread.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:30:39 PM by JJH »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »

Because Joshua literally added NOTHING to the thread.  If he were to have added pertinent breaking news to the thread it would have never been questioned.  Do you understand now Craig? Sheesh next time stay in your own lane and we won’t have to waste a post to explain something so obvious.

Sometimes people don't see threads until later. You're not a moderator, so I'm not sure why you are trying to butt in here and act like some kind of over zealous english professor grading a paper. People can post pretty much whatever, it's not like this is a super busy forum with strict content standards.

As for the fate of DW's waterboggin, the discussion back on TPR is probably correct: the fate of the waterboggins wasn't so much due to ADA as it was due to the potential for people to slip out of the rafts or reach out and hit things in various ways. It was never a problem if you rode correctly, but apparently some lawsuit chasers were able to ruin the fun for everyone. It makes me wonder how the log flumes have been able to stick around all this time. 

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:21 PM »
Well crap, I had wanted to get over to DW one of these days and ride their water boggan.  So its gone as of this past season then?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:01 PM »
Their Facebook page has been getting a lot of comments over it as well. Including an apparent employee claiming the same reasoning. I agree it is most unfortunate, and sadly time marches on as it was one of the original remaining rides from the old SDCTN days.

EDIT: To settle the other issue, Shave if you feel the need, you can always relocate this discussion starting from my original post to the Dollywood 2019 thread.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:57:11 PM by sdcfan88 »