Author Topic: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm  (Read 32350 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »
It was my understanding that none of the original DUKWs were still in operation, as of several years ago.  If that is not the case, then I was misinformed by an employee of the company.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2018, 12:02:45 PM »
It was my understanding that none of the original DUKWs were still in operation, as of several years ago.  If that is not the case, then I was misinformed by an employee of the company.

I too could be misinformed or I could have easily misunderstood... ;D.   

My only thought would be is ,  IF they were all "new" or complete copies....  Why wouldnt they have designed and built a nicer looking machine, along with easier access and be more people friendly...???..

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
My understanding this the ones in operation in Branson are modified from the original, in that they were extended by several feet to be able to carry more people, making them even more dangerous due to the added weight.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
As I understand it, the roof was "released".  Maybe that's why it appears to be split.

I suspect the roof was split open to recover the victims.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
I saw on 1Branson that a lawsuit had been filed already.. No details..

"Not surprised, but word out today is that a $100-Million-Dollar federal lawsuit has been filed as a result of the tragedy"

Of course my questions are......
Against the Duck as a business?
Against Ripleys Corporation for owning the Ducks?
Against the Captain for making poor decisions..

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
I saw on 1Branson that a lawsuit had been filed already.. No details..

"Not surprised, but word out today is that a $100-Million-Dollar federal lawsuit has been filed as a result of the tragedy"

Of course my questions are......
Against the Duck as a business?
Against Ripleys Corporation for owning the Ducks?
Against the Captain for making poor decisions..

Here is the AP story.   https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lawsuit-filed-in-fatal-duck-boat-sinking-seeks-dollar100-million/ar-BBLfXsW?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Herschend is named in the lawsuit because they manufactured the boats. But, Its all there. And this is just for 2 of the 9 member family. More to come soon. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:40:34 PM by Runner1960 »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »
I figured Herschend would get named somehow. It’s unfortunate if this hurts them because they had nothing to do with the boats being on the water in that storm.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2018, 02:35:30 PM »
Here is a article from the Washington post about the guy who designed and stretched the ducks. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Herschend manufacture and build all the DUC vehicles when they were franchising out all the other locations ?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/26/self-taught-businessman-with-no-engineering-credentials-designed-missouri-duck-boat-records-say/?utm_term=.c9c89da8c70c

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2018, 03:59:25 PM »
Here is a article from the Washington post about the guy who designed and stretched the ducks. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Herschend manufacture and build all the DUC vehicles when they were franchising out all the other locations ?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/26/self-taught-businessman-with-no-engineering-credentials-designed-missouri-duck-boat-records-say/?utm_term=.c9c89da8c70c

I was told NO.  they modified existing vehicles.... NOT built new ones..?

I wasnt able to verify that.. But that is how that discussion went .

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
Well I can somewhat see that Hershend gets named.  After all, they were told years ago those boats were not safe due to the canopy on them.  If they have to pay or not will remain to be seen.  I was in town last night and watched the local news about this.  They lawyer suing on behalf of the family said the goal was to put them out of business.  Also, there has already been $800k raised via a go fund me account, most of which is only for 1 family member.  There was a 2nd lawsuit filed for the company who was there for their 45th wedding anniversary and they are only suing for $25k, but that is just the starting point, they figure it will be $125k.  That seems a far cry from the other suit of $100 million.  That seems like a ludicrous figure.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »
There was a conference on the news today featuring the Coleman family and a team of lawyers announcing a second lawsuit filed by the Colemans. This lawsuit covers two more of their family members.  If an amount was mentioned, I missed it.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2018, 01:56:52 AM »
Yup this operation is done then.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2018, 06:10:00 AM »
Claire McCaskill (never one to let a tragedy go to waste during an election year) has introduced legislation requiring DUKW boats to have higher safety regulations including the removal of all roofs. 

How kind of her and forward thinking of her.   ::)
If by some chance she gets re-elected you won’t see her for another 4 years around these parts
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
Claire McCaskill (never one to let a tragedy go to waste during an election year) has introduced legislation requiring DUKW boats to have higher safety regulations including the removal of all roofs. 

If by some chance she gets re-elected you won’t see her for another 4 years around these parts

Not unless there is another accident with loss of life or injuries....

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »

Not unless there is another accident with loss of life or injuries....

It would be political suicide to do nothing too.

Wish we could let the experts actually make the regulation changes instead of letting the political head just react because they have to or be labeled as being uncaring by there opponents.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:23:13 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"