Author Topic: Train robbery  (Read 10409 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Train robbery
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »
I don't recall seeing this mentioned here before but maybe it has and I just now thought of it.  Anyway, the last time I was at the city earlier in the month it appeared they are no longer using the shotgun for the robbery.  The conductor was using what appeared and sounded to me to be a cap gun.  The robbers appeared to have wooden guns in their holsters.  Is this some change to be more PC like everything else seems to be or something else?

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Train robbery
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
Yep. Talked to a long time worker yesterday and they replaced the guns with slingshots on mainstreet .Probably old news here.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »
Oh good! Is the cap gun quieter than the shotgun? I always have to plug my ears when I'm on the train ride or anywhere else at the park that has guns in their shows; I'm autistic and sudden loud noises are one of my most negative stims.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:28:41 PM »
i just got off the train about a hour ago and the lady conductor was carrying what looked like a replica  winchester lever action. But the robbers never took their guns out. Also you could barely hear the gun go off.

BTW, Its hotter than Hades out there today. Stayed till about 2 and thats all anyone could take.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 03:52:08 PM »
When we rode earlier this month the conductor was carrying a replica shotgun.  However, at the end of the skit, when one of the Bolens bends over, the conductor just yelled "bang".

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
The rifle the conductor is using now is basically a pop gun that shoots what is essentially caps, and it misfires a lot.  Even when it does fire you can barely hear it.  It's a sad replacement of the shotgun they used to use.

And yes, it sure looks like they've replaced the robbers guns with wood props that they never pull out of the holsters.  Sad.

Nothing really nice to say about any of that.   :-\
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
I think it was last year or the year before I got to thinking about an end to the guns because they might offend people.  Seems like there might have been some posts about it, but sure enough here we go.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »
I might be in the minority but I think it is time to end the robbery all together.  It's not needed anymore as the 504 is poweful enough to do the loop without stopping to build up steam to finish the climb (the real reason there was a robbery to begin with at the old location). 

I just cannot stand when a certain individual is out there or acts as conductor.  I can't name names but you all know who I am talking about. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 10:47:01 PM »
I might be in the minority but I think it is time to end the robbery all together.  It's not needed anymore as the 504 is poweful enough to do the loop without stopping to build up steam to finish the climb (the real reason there was a robbery to begin with at the old location). 

I just cannot stand when a certain individual is out there or acts as conductor.  I can't name names but you all know who I am talking about.

None of the engines have needed to stop to build up steam for many years.  Really the only one that did was the Davenport and it hasn't been used in a long time.  The engines regularly complete the loop without pause when there is bad weather or other reasons to skip the show.

As for removing the robbery altogether, my vote is no, but I would like to see it return to it's roots a bit.  Bring back the bits that were removed because of the hypersensitivity to being PC and make a couple of changes in personnel, and let the robbers have some freedom.  But I don't know that any of that will happen.

There are some that have suspected certain people in leadership positions would like to see the robbery go away and have been working on that in a gradual process, and sadly I can't argue with that view.  The current state compared to even a few years ago lends credibility to that.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:14:57 PM »
Well I don’t really want it to go away.  Just a certain individual that needs to leave for good. 
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 12:24:37 AM »
Without getting too deep into a political debate as I am pretty liberal yet pro 2nd amendment, I really hate the direction this is heading with the gun/robbery issue. I really think it would be a misstep for the park to get rid of the guns and the robbery, as it is part of what makes SDC... well SDC. The 1880s was not all roses and rainbows and while I get the park is trying to maintain a Christian/Family friendly atmosphere I feel some historical authenticity (even as lighthearted as it has been with the corny jokes) should be maintained. It is what sets SDC apart from other parks with 1880's or wild west themes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:29:16 AM by sdcfan88 »

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
I wonder though if the removal of the guns isn't political based, but based on people's entitlement?

I grew up with guns, cap guns, rifles, pistols, etc. guns were in the house. My kids have grown up with guns, but still have a very high respect for them. But even with having the guns in the house, my children wouldn't ride the train for a long time because they really thought the guns being used in the show were a real danger. No matter how much I told them "all was well", it was just a show, they didn't care...........so we just skipped the ride.

I never complained to anyone that my child wouldn't ride the train - we just skipped the ride. But I think more people feel that they have a right to do something, and if something doesn't go their way, they want change. So if their child is scared or not getting to enjoy something others are doing because of a fear (or any other reason).....they let the park know about it.

So I wonder, if it's more about people's entitlement than political? Where I would say, suck it up buttercup to my kid....others tell the kid don't worry, we'll get this changed so you don't have to be afraid.....

Jay

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
It could just as well be a cost-saving effort.  Relatively speaking, that would be pinching pennies.

Or could it be licensing?  Or the younger age of an occasional performer?  Or laziness?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 11:48:45 AM »
I wonder though if the removal of the guns isn't political based, but based on people's entitlement?

I grew up with guns, cap guns, rifles, pistols, etc. guns were in the house. My kids have grown up with guns, but still have a very high respect for them. But even with having the guns in the house, my children wouldn't ride the train for a long time because they really thought the guns being used in the show were a real danger. No matter how much I told them "all was well", it was just a show, they didn't care...........so we just skipped the ride.

I never complained to anyone that my child wouldn't ride the train - we just skipped the ride. But I think more people feel that they have a right to do something, and if something doesn't go their way, they want change. So if their child is scared or not getting to enjoy something others are doing because of a fear (or any other reason).....they let the park know about it.

So I wonder, if it's more about people's entitlement than political? Where I would say, suck it up buttercup to my kid....others tell the kid don't worry, we'll get this changed so you don't have to be afraid.....

Jay

That's a good thought that I had not considered before.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »

It's a thought, but I think it's likely kind of a mix of the two and really comes down to people who don't like guns.  They don't want their kids to play with them.  They don't want to see them used.  Guns are dangerous so don't be near them. Or just plain anti-gun.

I know when I worked there we would sometimes see the complaints, and usually they were along the lines of, "I can't believe you use real guns or ones that make us think they are real."  Like many things they've removed, it's people being oversensitive and offended over things so the park removes them, even if they're a very small number For example, the line about why is ma smiling?  Because that man next to her isn't our pa.  We'd get 2 or 3 complaints a year, out of a couple of million guests.  But that was enough to remove it.