Author Topic: Airports!  (Read 10020 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Airports!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »
This is Scotland specific but a birdie told me Dublin could happen too. It is not the first or second time he has dropped Memphis out there for routes. This coincides with their getting the Airbus A321LR which has 767 like range but at much better fuel economics.
Edinburgh/Memphis

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/norwegian-to-launch-cheap-flights-from-edinburgh-to-los-angeles-and-san-francisco-1-4477392

Chief executive Bjorn Kjos also plans flights from the Scottish capital to Midwest cities like Memphis in 2019.

Also, today Memphis said they experienced exteodinary growth in June. The airport operated at 85 percent load factor. So 85 percent of all seats availible to purchase had a tush in them that leads to bigger planes, more flights and new destinations.

JetBlue to Fort Lauderdale and Boston seem like a no brainer

Den and Vegas Via Southwest seems worthwhile as well

Oh, Frontier is going to fly to San Diego and Denver Via Tulsa next spring.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 11:09:44 PM »
Yeah, as much as security sucks, the golden age of air travel is just getting better and better. I already know a lot of people who have been able to snag international trip deals for less than half of what it used to cost. Soon it won't be hard at all to hop over the pond to check out a different country, and flying across the country can be as cheap as $100 each way already.

I've been thinking more and more about just booking a quick three day weekend to Orlando one of these days... It's ~$90 each way on Allegiant, I just don't know how much I trust them. Plus the rental car is still the big expense. I may be able to get around a city like Orlando without one, but its still tough and unpredictable.

Frontier coming back to TUL is a big deal for me. I prefer Southwest, but more competition brings all the fares down.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
Yeah, as much as security sucks, the golden age of air travel is just getting better and better. I already know a lot of people who have been able to snag international trip deals for less than half of what it used to cost. Soon it won't be hard at all to hop over the pond to check out a different country, and flying across the country can be as cheap as $100 each way already.

I've been thinking more and more about just booking a quick three day weekend to Orlando one of these days... It's ~$90 each way on Allegiant, I just don't know how much I trust them. Plus the rental car is still the big expense. I may be able to get around a city like Orlando without one, but its still tough and unpredictable.

Frontier coming back to TUL is a big deal for me. I prefer Southwest, but more competition brings all the fares down.

I hope Kjos follows through. He flights should be less than 300 r/t. I hope the A321LR performs at the range Airbus is promising. Boeing is about ready to answer with a small wide body that would carry  etween 200 and 250 with a better range in response to the void that the 321LR seems to start filling. A void caused by Boeing killing off the 757 and not improving it. The ieal of hitting up the UK and Ireland for an extended weekend ex cites me. My nephew and I are already discussing about catching A Tottenham match once a year. Once you get there, 5he air fares are stupid cheap via easyjet, Ryanair, wizz, and Norwegian. You can often upgrade to Air Lingus, British, Air France for a little more due to the competition.

On Aug 30 of this year, I can book a one way to Hamburg from London for 13 dollars, yes 13 dollars. $17 to Cologne and Phantasialand

More imprortantly, I can get 1.5% value for my points via my Chase Ultimate rewards on Norwegian.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:09:46 AM by chittlins »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

We flew Allegiant to Florida in May. We didn't have any issues and when flying on a budget I think Allegiant is definitely the way to go. The price it originally says is not the price you pay, however. You have to pay to select your seat along with paying some extra taxes. It still comes out much cheaper than other airlines. They also don't serve complimentary snack and beverage on flights. But like I said, if you're on a budget then the cheaper options usually win out.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »
The size of the nuts on Southwest are a joke, the cups of soda are a farse. Here's a pro tip, if you ask for the whole can, they give it to you usually still with the cup and ice. I recently had a bang up bunch for a crew on our way back from BWI to MEM. They actually made two rounds on the nuts and soda on a 2hr flight.

Spring Break extension came out for Southwest today. Times were better than for weekends leading up to it!
We'll get a full day in at Busch Gardens Tampa before heading to Orlando.

MEM got 3x daily on Sat and Sun and 2x daily on the weekdays to MCO for March and first week of April.
 Prices are about 20 bucks higher across the board compared to 2017 prices for March.

Needed a new push mower recently, 4x points on Southwest's shopping portal at Sears.  I got a nice one so I cleared over 1,000 points.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
This is Scotland specific but a birdie told me Dublin could happen too. It is not the first or second time he has dropped Memphis out there for routes. This coincides with their getting the Airbus A321LR which has 767 like range but at much better fuel economics.
Edinburgh/Memphis

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/norwegian-to-launch-cheap-flights-from-edinburgh-to-los-angeles-and-san-francisco-1-4477392

Chief executive Bjorn Kjos also plans flights from the Scottish capital to Midwest cities like Memphis in 2019.

Also, today Memphis said they experienced exteodinary growth in June. The airport operated at 85 percent load factor. So 85 percent of all seats availible to purchase had a tush in them that leads to bigger planes, more flights and new destinations.

JetBlue to Fort Lauderdale and Boston seem like a no brainer

Den and Vegas Via Southwest seems worthwhile as well

Oh, Frontier is going to fly to San Diego and Denver Via Tulsa next spring.

This a follow up on some that previous post of mine.

This is very interesting:
http://www.anna.aero/2017/09/13/kansas-city-becomes-the-largest-unserved-market-in-the-us-from-europe/#comment-161510

It is interest ing to extrapolate the data from Austin and do it with KC and then Memphis.

KC comes in around 117,000 and Memphis at around 92,000. They you go and compare the total passengers at each airport. KC at over 13 million a year and Memphis at just 4.5 million. What is cleat is that KC has more originating TATL and Memphasis has more tourist coming as a destination. My friend back home sez that Mthis doean't even capture those that enter at New Orleans or Nashville and stay in Memphis as well as visit one or both of the others. They (MEM) feel Memphis could top 200,000 either direct or connecting  with three years of service with the right service and price (think Norwegian/ WOW). That the market stimulation of a smaller market would easily fill what the the Europen originating traffic didn-'t over with a 2x to 3x weekly from the UK on a 787, not a smaller 757 type aircraft.

Dig further and put OKC and Tulsa in the same basket and then add NWA and Tulsa could become a market on down the road being placed between OKC and NWA. We already see this in concert booking. Tulsa gets tons of concerts due to placement between the two.

Anywho, summer to fall 2018 should be interesting come new TATL announcement time.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »
I'd argue that NWA has been stealing concerts from the SW Mizz and Little Rock markets more than Tulsa market.  The AMP has been getting some pretty amazing bookings the past few years.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
I'd argue that NWA has been stealing concerts from the SW Mizz and Little Rock markets more than Tulsa market.  The AMP has been getting some pretty amazing bookings the past few years.

LR gets plenty of gigs and has no viable amp for regular concerts. River Amp doesn't count. They get even more of the arena tours than Memphis. It, like Tulsa, benefits being fairly close to another major city whose arena has a NBA team as a  permanent tenent. They are much more flexible for booking purposes. For crying out load Tulsa has landed Rogers Waters twice. As the U of M football teams continues its rise to respectably, hopefully Memphis can come up with a downtown. stadium  that is right sized at about 55,000 with the idea of concerts and NCAA tourny basketball in mind. Ten thousand of those would be a upper level that would  professionally designed to stay hidden unless needed, like for the Liberty Bowl.

They already know that they built the amp too small, needed more fixed seats and be 10,000 with lawn seating

The plan is that after the end zone is done, Bud Walton gets a major redo. Like a new outer concourse and parts of the old converted to club areas, a net decrease in capacity with added loge seating in certain areas, new back of house areas and expanded docking, so that it becomes the arena of the area for larger concerts. Supposedly the Walton Art Center(walmart) will be in charge of booking. They are the ones booking the AMP. After that, the Uof A will build a new smaller arena to replace Barnhill for gymnastics and such and will be multipurpose as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:33:07 PM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »
The Tulsa/San Diego Flight ilon Frontier is now bookable. Tues, Thursdays, and Sundays. That seems like nice spacing.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
Frontier is adding San Jose CA and DC/Dulles nonstops from Tulsa.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
Allegiant is finally adding Destin from XNA.

Now they need to add Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans, Baltimore and Austin

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
Allegiant is finally adding Destin from XNA.

Now they need to add Fort Lauderdale, New Orleans, Baltimore and Austin

You just beat me to reporting that news....lol

I've got family near Daphine/Gulf Shores.  I might be able to afford to fly the whole family down now and have them pick us up.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"