Author Topic: Fire In the Hole/Flooded Mine  (Read 20158 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: Fire In the Hole/Flooded Mine
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
I would not be surprised if one day they decide having the gun on the train robbery will be deemed too controversial and get rid of that, perhaps get rid of a robbery completely.

There are some that think they have been working for a while to slowly eliminate the train robbery from the ride.  I'm not sure they are wrong.  Not sure how much would be inappropriate to say, so I'll leave it at that.

Shave, I'm completely agreed with you.  And so are many that have worked at the park for a while, or used to work there.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »
What need to be done with Lost River?

They could replace it with some kind of diving bell.

Remove AP and then build it there.  They could use the Lake/Waterfall for the entrance facade.  They’ll need to eventually rebuild that waterfall anyway so 2 birds 1 stone.

A version of Aquatopia at TDS would be better though

Never thought about how old LR is....those raft rides just seem to last forever.  Is LR older than Fury of the Nile?  LR loading platform is not a very efficient or safe setup....is kind of a mild ride too....but it's better than Nile IMO. 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 12:09:40 AM »
This is where I repeat that FITH needs a redo with modern tech that includes a Drop Track at the Burning Bridge and then launch into the dark finish.

It was like that, or something very similar, long long ago.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 01:11:07 AM »
I would not be surprised if one day they decide having the gun on the train robbery will be deemed too controversial and get rid of that, perhaps get rid of a robbery completely.

I'm one of those old-timers who would cheer to see the guns gone from FM. Not because "gunz!", but because they're distracting. It used to be a ride of wonderment and discovery and imagination; now it's just constant pew-pew-pew, and no one sees the story unfold.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 06:44:49 AM »

I'm one of those old-timers who would cheer to see the guns gone from FM. Not because "gunz!", but because they're distracting. It used to be a ride of wonderment and discovery and imagination; now it's just constant pew-pew-pew, and no one sees the story unfold.

Me too. The guns ruined the ride a long time ago.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
Hopefully the next trend will be to revitalize old rides. The current trend is big coasters. I think SDC needs a breather on big new coasters for a while. Hopefully over the next five years we see FITH fixed up and AP completely redone with an emphasis on theme. The PTB are making a huge mistake if they let classic theme go by the wayside and SDC is just another park.
however I must say that flooded mine looked great the last two seasons I went. Havent gone yet this year but seems like they did a lot to it last year. I was pleased and they deserve credit for it. Now if they would please advertise it a little.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
I hope the management at SDC is reading this post.

Don't get me wrong. I love roller coasters. You can add all the drops, loops, barrel rolls, etc., that you want, but in the end, a roller coaster is a roller coaster. You can ride a roller coaster at any park in the country, and the experience is fundamentally the same.

However, you can only ride the Flooded Mine at Silver Dollar City. And you can only ride Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City. (The version at Dollywood doesn't count.  :D)

There is more to a theme park than a roller coaster.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I love roller coasters. You can add all the drops, loops, barrel rolls, etc., that you want, but in the end, a roller coaster is a roller coaster. You can ride a roller coaster at any park in the country, and the experience is fundamentally the same.

While I like Flooded Mine and FITH also, they don’t draw new people to the park. What most people care about when traveling to a theme park is the roller coasters. Big, new coasters are about the only thing that bring new people to a park. While I would like to see the old rides being rebuilt/fixed, I don’t really see it happening if it wouldn’t bring in new people.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
While I like Flooded Mine and FITH also, they don’t draw new people to the park. What most people care about when traveling to a theme park is the roller coasters. Big, new coasters are about the only thing that bring new people to a park. While I would like to see the old rides being rebuilt/fixed, I don’t really see it happening if it wouldn’t bring in new people.

Mmm, yes and no.  I wouldn't say "roller coasters" per se, but rides that interest and intrigue them.  As an example, there are reasons that Six Flags started putting in Justice League rides in many of their parks.  Because they drew interest and brought people in.  There are other rides and other ways to draw people's attention and interest, and make them want to visit, beside roller coasters.  Coaster tend to be the most obvious, but I think SDC also did well with the Fireman's landing addition.  And not a coaster in the area.  :-)

I truly believe that if they were to put in another indoor ride or two- a well done dark ride, 4d movie/ simulator, or something else similar that families could do together, that it would go a long ways towards reinforcing that it's a park for families to enjoy together. And that can be done very well to bring people in.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
I want a good theme park, not just another coaster park.  While signs and creative names help, it is the well-done dark rides, simulators, and shows (in theme - no deviation) worth seeing (not stunts ordered from a catalog of "entertainers") that can really push the unique theme of a park and set it apart from the rest.  Any theme will do, as long as it is consistent.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 10:12:14 PM »
I want a good theme park, not just another coaster park.  While signs and creative names help, it is the well-done dark rides, simulators, and shows (in theme - no deviation) worth seeing (not stunts ordered from a catalog of "entertainers") that can really push the unique theme of a park and set it apart from the rest.  Any theme will do, as long as it is consistent.

I've been saying that for quite a while now.  We can't afford to lose another classic.  Speaking of classic, how long was the diving bell in operation anyway?  Now that was a cool ride and cutting edge for it's time.  Imagine what it could be like today!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
While I like Flooded Mine and FITH also, they don’t draw new people to the park.

The problem with drawing new people to the park, is that attendance, parking, and traffic are at the edge of making SDC that place that is so popular that everyone hates going there.

Focusing on big new rides instead of theming and the classics, also runs the risk of losing the multi-generation visitors who have been loyal for decades, and replacing them with people who will skip the city entirely if they don't have a huge new record-breaking ride every other year.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
While I like Flooded Mine and FITH also, they don’t draw new people to the park.

The problem with drawing new people to the park, is that attendance, parking, and traffic are at the edge of making SDC that place that is so popular that everyone hates going there.

Focusing on big new rides instead of theming and the classics, also runs the risk of losing the multi-generation visitors who have been loyal for decades, and replacing them with people who will skip the city entirely if they don't have a huge new record-breaking ride every other year.
Yes, this is very important and Ihave said many times, we drive by numerous coaster parks or close to them on the way to SDC/Branson every trip. I dont go to those parks beause I like the theme of SDC and my facorite rides are FM and FITH and thunderation...and used to be AP. Also my family has been multi generation (4) season pass holders/visitors for decades. We really dont care that SDC got time traveler...its fine and good for them and everything, but it isnt whats bringing us back and it wont bring the coaster chasers back.
But FM and FITH, and the themeing might. Youll have some families go for a new coaster and realize SDC is different and come back. If SDC becomes less and less unique, that wont happen.
PTB cannot take families like us for granted, however. If they get rid of old rides or go down a no theme trend, we wont come back. But as I said above I thought FM was good last two trips and hopefully the next five years are about revitalizing old rides like AP while still keeping classic theme.
And can we get back to ha d painted signs !
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »

They bring people back.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »

They bring people back.

Not only do they bring people back...but they are the rides that create memories for families.  They are first 'big' rides kids have with there parents....the are transitional rides between the kid rides and the thrill rides.  They are the consistent and dependable rides that 90% of visitors expect to be open....they are even open in weather.  Its not that WF and TT can't be memory making rides....but they aren't what parents and grand parents remember about SDC trips.  Frankly that darn frog ride in GE has a higher place in my families list of favorites as OR....we've got dozens of pics of our kids on that ride through the years....my now coaster riding teenager still smiles thinking about riding it. 

These classics have a unique advantage of being multi-generational in there ridership.....I just hope they get a modern makeover so they keep some of of that uniqueness but SDC can also use to continue to let them be family memory making rides everyone can enjoy.  Completely losing them would be such a waste of a competitive advantage SDC has with these classics.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"