Author Topic: Webcams? yes or no..  (Read 10296 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Webcams? yes or no..
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 08:08:08 AM »
What about the cameras, moving or still,  were looked at as  an advertising tool?? 
As a potential new visitor, a person or family would go to the website, click on cameras and check out the coasters, paths, eateries and landscape.  they see people doing stuff.. 
would that not be a good selling tool?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
Parks that have webcams usually have them for the benefit of coaster fans. They can kind of be a minor advertisement for the park's coasters. Cedar Point's webcams are often referred to by enthusiasts, and I know a few people that leave them up on their second monitors at work.

I mean, they can be interesting. When a storm or something is rolling in, it's fun to check how it looks at the park, or to check how it looks on a day you expect to be crowded, or even just to see how the new coaster is doing. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
I personally do not see the value of it.

They already explained the value above.

Outside of people at home seeing the crowds on busy days and deciding not to go, what would the value of it be?

Much more important to the park, what benefit would it get out of it?  outside of a few of us who'd like to peek in occasionally, who would even want to watch it?

There are very few parks that have online live webcams. I can only think of 2 offhand (Cedar Point and Holiday World)  And I'm not sure what, if any, real benefit they get out of it.  Obviously not enough to draw the attention of any of the other "big boys" of amusement parks (e.g. Disney, Universal)

Cameras on 76 would beneficial to study traffic patterns and deploy more traffic directional workers when need.  Same in the park.  They could help when the bottle necks get busy to deploy people to help direct guests. 

The benefits are not that difficult to figure out.

Then they need a traffic cam and not a webcam. MoDot has traffic cams all over the state that provide data to help with those kind of problems. A webcam just provides a picture and does not collect data.

http://www.modot.org/mobileweb/trafficcam.html

Actually they are live cameras on most park websites.  However if you know the direct url to the camera you can also view it as a live camera instead of the “every 5 minutes update”
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 10:51:50 AM »
I mean, they can be interesting. When a storm or something is rolling in, it's fun to check how it looks at the park, or to check how it looks on a day you expect to be crowded, or even just to see how the new coaster is doing.

I would like to monitor the city during a calm heavy snowfall.  I think it would look cool!

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »
What about the cameras, moving or still,  were looked at as  an advertising tool?? 
As a potential new visitor, a person or family would go to the website, click on cameras and check out the coasters, paths, eateries and landscape.  they see people doing stuff.. 

Photos and short video do a much better job showing all of that and advertising than a webcam can do.  Quality, control, color, and being close up- web cams on towers can't even come close to competing with that.  They aren't even in the same realm, as anyone who deal with photography and video should be able to tell you. (notice I said should)

And for traffic, Runner pointed out that it's traffic cams and controls that they need, not webcams, which again aren't going to accomplish much.

I know it's easy to fall into the assumption that if it's something talked about on TPR or other sites it must have an impact.  But in reality coaster enthusiasts make up a very tiny percentage of customers (a good bit than 1%) and really don't have much of an impact on the bottom line.

And if they were that big of a producer, then you would see Disney, Universal, Busch and every other park out there using them.  Instead you can count the number that have active web cams on both hands.

Here's the one way I see webcams being useful- for a few very limited in park functions- security (though security cameras are far better), traffic (again the already mentioned traffic cameras and controls are much better), and a few operations things.  None of which there is really any reason to put online for people not working in the park to access.  I still fail to see ANY benefit to the parks by putting webcams online for the general public to see.

The only exception to that, maybe, is during construction of a new project. And even that video and still photos can show better than a webcam.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »

Photos and short video do a much better job showing all of that and advertising than a webcam can do.  Quality, control, color, and being close up- web cams on towers can't even come close to competing with that.  They aren't even in the same realm, as anyone who deal with photography and video should be able to tell you. (notice I said should)

And for traffic, Runner pointed out that it's traffic cams and controls that they need, not webcams, which again aren't going to accomplish much.

I know it's easy to fall into the assumption that if it's something talked about on TPR or other sites it must have an impact.  But in reality coaster enthusiasts make up a very tiny percentage of customers (a good bit than 1%) and really don't have much of an impact on the bottom line.

And if they were that big of a producer, then you would see Disney, Universal, Busch and every other park out there using them.  Instead you can count the number that have active web cams on both hands.

Here's the one way I see webcams being useful- for a few very limited in park functions- security (though security cameras are far better), traffic (again the already mentioned traffic cameras and controls are much better), and a few operations things.  None of which there is really any reason to put online for people not working in the park to access.  I still fail to see ANY benefit to the parks by putting webcams online for the general public to see.

The only exception to that, maybe, is during construction of a new project. And even that video and still photos can show better than a webcam.

Sanddune, I think as Sir Willow pointed out it would be a very small number that would visit based on this. Just a couple thoughts.

SDC probably ( I am not sure) has a marketing company hired for all things advertising and promotional. They might control all things that is seen. I.E. billboards, Brochures, TV ad campaigns. And most companies hire those marketing firms to run their Twitter, Instagram, Facebook accounts also. They tightly control this to make sure you see what they want you to see. A webcam used as advertising could be a disaster because they cannot control what a random person does. So, along with other things that are positive, the viewers are going to see peoples reaction when a bad situation happens. Oh Crap PK is down again cut the feed we do not want viewers to see people backing out of the line. Or we do not want potential visitors to see the mass of folks in the TT courtyard. They would also need to see how the installation and ongoing cost ( bandwidth is not cheap ) to operate the system is charged. Is a webcam for promotional a better use of our money , or is it better to have our marketing company put up 3 more Instagram post every day? My gut tells me that the social media would generate way more.

Who really knows but I bet if the Marketing team has not suggested it yet then it probably holds no value.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48:30 PM »
My 2 cents....

I doubt anyone will care about webcams but SDC fanboys and gals like us.  Maybe some employees who check in to see crowd levels/weather/etc.  I don't see them bringing in any additional ticket sales....or decreasing them.

Legally speaking....not sure if they would matter one way or another.  If they are just far away crowd shots and not recording then they shouldn't matter.  If they are monitoring shops and recording then I guess its private property and they have that right.....I'd imagine in that case they wouldn't broadcast those cameras though.

The warning I would give SDC is.....if you do advertise them (or one).....just remember the general public will be shameless on camera....might not be the wisest idea to leave any 'close up' camera's un-monitored.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
After thinking a bit more.....I guess live shots of the ride queues could be cool.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 01:08:09 AM »
Something different: what park fan wouldn't love a Google Street View version of the park map, that is updated with each new attraction?

We talked about this a few years ago. Google actually has a pedal trike version now, for pedestrian zones. SDC could make a mule-drawn version.  ;)

It would have to be done before opening, to avoid all the processing power of blurring out faces (plus the problem of people just being in the way).

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
Something different: what park fan wouldn't love a Google Street View version of the park map, that is updated with each new attraction?

We talked about this a few years ago. Google actually has a pedal trike version now, for pedestrian zones. SDC could make a mule-drawn version.  ;)

It would have to be done before opening, to avoid all the processing power of blurring out faces (plus the problem of people just being in the way).

By no means would I expect that to happen.... But yea! that would be kinda cool... ;D

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
You can google street view through the DW Properties.  Just noticed SFoT has street view around the park.  SDC has POV pics from just about everywhere in the park....but no street view.