Author Topic: Webcams? yes or no..  (Read 10301 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Webcams? yes or no..
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »
This would be a good weekend to have webcams throughout the park. We could watch the excessive traffic from the safety of our homes.. ;D

We have discussed this before, but has been awhile...
Whats your thought? 
Yes or no?   
Locations?

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Webcams? yes or no..
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:30:24 AM »
Personally, I'd love it.  One of the square area and then maybe one from LR overlooking lake towards FL.   The entrance at the log/axe sign would be cool.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
I'd love it!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »
Parking lots, and traffic on 76.  ;)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
Parking lots, and traffic on 76.  ;)

YES,  and I thought 1 or 2 overlooking the square, one facing TT/TNT entrance, tall enough to see line and the ride, Train Station, WF & AP, top of suicud hill looking down hill, facing the area around saloon, couple in the OR and Swing area, walkway alongside of The LOst River one at each in, FL,.   

We could see so much with just 8-10 cameras,  and they could be stationary...  But adjustable would be even better 8) 8) 8)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »
I personally do not see the value of it. I have a ton of other fun things to do than look at other people on a webcam. I am sure it would not cost much to install but then they would pay for upkeep and bandwidth. And in reality webcams are boring as sh**.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »
I personally do not see the value of it.

They already explained the value above.
SWOOSH

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 07:59:39 AM »
I'd love it

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 08:20:11 AM »
I personally do not see the value of it. I have a ton of other fun things to do than look at other people on a webcam. I am sure it would not cost much to install but then they would pay for upkeep and bandwidth. And in reality webcams are boring as sh**.

Hmm.?  that would be a no then.. :D

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 05:34:01 PM »

Outside of people at home seeing the crowds on busy days and deciding not to go, what would the value of it be?

Much more important to the park, what benefit would it get out of it?  outside of a few of us who'd like to peek in occasionally, who would even want to watch it?

There are very few parks that have online live webcams. I can only think of 2 offhand (Cedar Point and Holiday World)  And I'm not sure what, if any, real benefit they get out of it.  Obviously not enough to draw the attention of any of the other "big boys" of amusement parks (e.g. Disney, Universal)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »
^ I love watching the Cedar Point webcams occasionally. It’s also crazy how much people on TPR talk about seeing something on the webcams. Sure most people wouldn’t watch the webcams, but if they don’t require that much work on the part of the park, why not install a couple just to entertain some of your guests who can’t actually be at the park and like that kind of thing? It would kind of be like checking ride wait times on the app even when we aren’t actually at the park, which a lot of us a probably guilty of doing.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »

Outside of people at home seeing the crowds on busy days and deciding not to go, what would the value of it be?

Much more important to the park, what benefit would it get out of it?  outside of a few of us who'd like to peek in occasionally, who would even want to watch it?

There are very few parks that have online live webcams. I can only think of 2 offhand (Cedar Point and Holiday World)  And I'm not sure what, if any, real benefit they get out of it.  Obviously not enough to draw the attention of any of the other "big boys" of amusement parks (e.g. Disney, Universal)

Cameras on 76 would beneficial to study traffic patterns and deploy more traffic directional workers when need.  Same in the park.  They could help when the bottle necks get busy to deploy people to help direct guests. 

The benefits are not that difficult to figure out. 
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 11:18:06 PM »

Much more important to the park, what benefit would it get out of it?

That would be the value of it: to the park and its employees, and to visitors.

Scheduling is a nightmare in any customer-drive business. Moreso in a business subject to changing customer counts because of the vagaries of weather.

I work for a company that is the third largest in its industry in the US, and breathing down the neck of #2. It's an industry used by every single person in the US. A few years ago they purchased a nationally-known competitor specifically because of their superior computer systems, and now they're rolling it out to all banners, so that the parent company has unity across all its stores.

"Customers make appointments", as they told us when we were dreading the change. Even though it doesn't seem obvious in a business where anyone can walk through the door at any time, they do. Our auto-scheduling system takes in an amazing amount of fine-grained data and compares the previous four years' worth of sales data against all available variables.

It would be nice for visitors if the park scheduled for 26k through the turnstiles and only 3k showed up, and nobody got sent home, but that's not a business reality. For the park, it's a disaster if they schedule for 5k and 20k show up.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 06:42:16 AM »

Hmm.?  that would be a no then.. :D

Yes, That would be no.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 06:49:33 AM »

Cameras on 76 would beneficial to study traffic patterns and deploy more traffic directional workers when need.  Same in the park.  They could help when the bottle necks get busy to deploy people to help direct guests. 

The benefits are not that difficult to figure out.

Then they need a traffic cam and not a webcam. MoDot has traffic cams all over the state that provide data to help with those kind of problems. A webcam just provides a picture and does not collect data.

http://www.modot.org/mobileweb/trafficcam.html