Author Topic: Attendance numbers  (Read 107718 times)

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance numbers
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2018, 07:43:09 AM »
Sunday, another poor number for the park..  Was the weather that bad down there..  I know it was BAD here,
30-40- mph winds
4 degree wind chill
blowing snow ALL day...

But in Branson?...  anyway only 5400 people.~, 

May have been a good day to be there and look it all over...

Well...the weather wasn’t great. It wasn’t too cold in Branson for most of the day, but once the temperature started to drop, it dropped 10-20 degrees in an hour and by dark they had snow flurries. The wind was horrific all day though. Gusts to 50 mph . It certainly shut the high flying rides I’d think.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
Sunday, another poor number for the park..  Was the weather that bad down there..  I know it was BAD here,
30-40- mph winds
4 degree wind chill
blowing snow ALL day...

It was very windy with cold rain/mist/snow all afternoon and evening in Springfield. We arrived to the park around 5:00 and there were actually more cars in the lot than we expected. We were prepared for the cold and our son was prepared for his rides to be closed (which all outside rides except for the train and carousel were closed). It was a great evening to meet Santa, see Rudolph, ride the train and see the parade without any lines/crowds. Most of our pictures don't have a single other person in them. There were maybe 20 people total on the train when we rode it. For us, it was a perfect evening to visit the park.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
30-40- mph winds
4 degree wind chill
blowing snow ALL day...

It was very windy with cold rain/mist/snow all afternoon and evening in Springfield. We arrived to the park around 5:00 and there were actually more cars in the lot than we expected. We were prepared for the cold and our son was prepared for his rides to be closed (which all outside rides except for the train and carousel were closed). It was a great evening to meet Santa, see Rudolph, ride the train and see the parade without any lines/crowds. Most of our pictures don't have a single other person in them. There were maybe 20 people total on the train when we rode it. For us, it was a perfect evening to visit the park.

Glad you had a good visit...  should have been a near perfect night for almost 5500 people.. ;D

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:06 AM »
Glad you had a good visit...  should have been a near perfect night for almost 5500 people.. ;D
I wonder on the topic just how many employees it takes to run the park on a slower day?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2018, 09:28:35 PM »
I wonder on the topic just how many employees it takes to run the park on a slower day?

Thats info I dont have access to.,   

But I would think the guys that used to work there could give us an idea..

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2018, 07:47:45 AM »
I am seeing on a couple of other Branson related sites/Blogs,  they are calling saturday with 28,500 a "record breaker".

Any input on that statement..? 
agree? 
if you dont agree, what day(s) are you thinking about

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »
2 Coaster Chritmasses maybe 3 the count was 24000 I believe.   It because unmanageable as the day went on.
SDC has to make a move to give these crowds something to do when they are there.  The streets are gridlock.  These folks have paid 40-60 to get in, it will not take long for this to become an avoided event.  As the crowds grow the magic fades.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
I was at the city Saturday night. I was also there last year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, which, if I remember correctly, was close to being a record-setter. IF you go into the City expecting these crowds, and IF you know where to go and what to do, it's still a great experience. Here are my tips:

1) Get there before rope drop and parking won't be an issue for you.
2) If you aren't a season pass holder, buy your tickets in advance.
3) Visit Midtown before dark OR after the parade.
4) Stay away from the depot while the train is running. Between people getting on and trains letting off, it's the most crowded point in the park.
5) Time your meals during non-peak meal times. For example, eat lunch at 11 or 1, not at noon.
6) Don't go with the expectation of riding a lot of rides. If you want to ride rides, come at a different time of year.
7) If you want to see the saloon show, be in line an hour in advance. (It's worth it, BTW).
8 ) If you absolutely must see IAWL or Christmas Carol, strongly consider the Show Lover's Pass. It's worth the money. 
9) Plan to stick around to enjoy the city AFTER the parades. Even on the busiest days, it becomes so serene after the parades. It makes fighting the crowds worth it. Plus, getting out of the parking lots will be so much easier.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
2 Coaster Chritmasses maybe 3 the count was 24000 I believe.   It because unmanageable as the day went on.
SDC has to make a move to give these crowds something to do when they are there.  The streets are gridlock.  These folks have paid 40-60 to get in, it will not take long for this to become an avoided event.  As the crowds grow the magic fades.

I've been there on some days when ~26,000 were in the park. I think Spring Con was one of them? It was tough to enjoy rides at that point, and the whole park starts to feel cumbersome and more like an overburdened amusement park than a wooded wonderland.

On social media, plenty of people are saying they avoid Christmas weekends, and any weekend where the weather is forecast to be too nice. Of course it lights a fire under management. Heck, I'm sure they get plenty of flack from local authorities about the traffic issues alone. What can you do though, it's success, and it's good for Branson and the whole region. Just need to double the size of the park, that's all.

Over 28,000 means they have stepped up the number they will allow into the park at any one time. I thought for sure they were closing the gates at around 26,000 last year. I wonder if the re-done area and food stands lets them do that. Maybe the new riverfront will let them pack in another couple thousand bodies.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
They need to address the intersection at 76 and Indian Point.  It’s time to do a flyover for that exit.  The blinking light for the turn lane doesn’t cut it.  What would be more beneficial is a back road in from over by the Wilderness to Indian Point to alleviate traffic turning off 76
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »
They need to address the intersection at 76 and Indian Point.  It’s time to do a flyover for that exit.  The blinking light for the turn lane doesn’t cut it.  What would be more beneficial is a back road in from over by the Wilderness to Indian Point to alleviate traffic turning off 76

I am not sure a flyover would help much, traffic would still be backed up to 465, even without stoplight on busy days.. just have to check the logistics of it and design...

A new road off of 265, that would help for sure,  but there would serious logistics that have to be figured out and handled.

the road itself going to the west across the big ravines and cross country,

location the new road would tie-in.. cant be Indian road, just make it worst..  Maybe new parking lots on east side of indian road, accessed by new road.

Of course more parking for more cars,

Backup up traffic on 265, potential nightmare on this topic.

Not being negative, but it would take some real money and designs to make this work..  As we all know,  it just takes MONEY!!  it could be done..

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »

Not being negative, but it would take some real money and designs to make this work..  As we all know,  it just takes MONEY!!  it could be done..

yep, agreed.  It could be done if there was money.  Then the issues become who's paying the money?  SDC?  Branson?  The county? some mix of them?

Something needs to be done, but I don't think anyone is in any hurry to even acknowledge there is a problem there.  In particular because, for the most part, it's only a handful of days a year as opposed to a consistent problem most days the park is open.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2018, 09:13:00 PM »

yep, agreed.  It could be done if there was money.  Then the issues become who's paying the money?  SDC?  Branson?  The county? some mix of them?

If something did happen, I doubt if Branson would help with funds...  Waaayy out of city limits,   !! 

LOL,
as well as they have other unfinished project in town they need to tend to..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
I was just thinking that a new road from the bypass to Indian Point would allow for connection to a resort between Wildnerness and the park
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
I was just thinking that a new road from the bypass to Indian Point would allow for connection to a resort between Wildnerness and the park

Great thought and idea..

I am sure the PTB have already considered it or are considering right now as we speak..

HAS to be a better way in than 2 lanes of traffic and a bunch of orange cones!!