Author Topic: Attendance numbers  (Read 107779 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance numbers
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2018, 07:41:06 PM »
Good Friday!!!

Nice weather +
Christmas lights +
SDC     

===  7,000 people!!    WOW!!    Park was expecting 20,000,  only 7 today..  :o :o

Black friday  and most expected more rain than area got.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
It was a ghost town this morning for Black Friday at 8 a.m.  We had a great time, purchased jams and salsas 25% off, and left about 10:30.  It rained a little bit, and began pouring about 11.  Glad we left when we did! Evidently, not all employees were aware of the Black Friday sale.  We walked into the Culinary School and was quickly told we had to leave as they weren't open and was asked if they were letting people into the park early.  We told the poor lady about the sale and the opening at 8:00.  She had no idea, and was embarrassed about telling us to leave, so she offered to turn on the fireplace and let us come in to warm up.  We were heading out, so we didn't.  ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:42 AM »
Good Friday!!!

Nice weather +
Christmas lights +
SDC     

===  7,000 people!!    WOW!!    Park was expecting 20,000,  only 7 today..  :o :o

I didnt realize it had rained there Friday,  otherwise I would have put that into the "equation"   :o :o,  then it would have added up properly and made more since. ::) ::)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2018, 01:35:54 PM »
I’m at the park today. This has to be record numbers. People took advantage of the $40 early entry. Combined with 70 degree weather and the park is packed.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
I’m at the park today. This has to be record numbers. People took advantage of the $40 early entry. Combined with 70 degree weather and the park is packed.

As of 1:00 today..  14,000 people... and its Early!! ;D ;D

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »
Good Friday!!!

Nice weather +
Christmas lights +
SDC     

I didnt realize it had rained there Friday,  otherwise I would have put that into the "equation"   :o :o,  then it would have added up properly and made more since. ::) ::)

My daughter and husband were there yesterday and they got rain check passes because of the weather. Just texted me and said it was a madhouse today.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »
Word on the street is that it's another record breaker... and it's just now getting dark. They've already closed everything off from the outside and are turning people away. 76 is a giant cluster as always. You can't exactly turn around until you get to the park...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
Word on the street is that it's another record breaker... and it's just now getting dark. They've already closed everything off from the outside and are turning people away. 76 is a giant cluster as always. You can't exactly turn around until you get to the park...

WOW!!  turning people away? is that a first?..

as of 6:00 this evening 25,850...

Who in this group keeps track of top days of attendence??

today and last saturday should be in the top 5? maybe for sure top 10.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
I did a quick search last weekend and found a post about 29,000 one day in May 2018. 

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
Just left the park because it just got too miserable. I heard 35,000 as the number. All the parking lots were full and when we were leaving people were parked on the side of the highway. I will post a more detailed review later.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2018, 08:11:37 PM »

Not even close to a first. This has happened numerous times at Christmas, and sometimes during some of the popular summer events if I recall correctly. We discussed it a lot last year as during our speculations about the area around TT.

I had thought that around 26000 was the limit, but who knows. I don't think 35000 is possible. Probably be a few days to hear the real number.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »
The wife had mentioned going today and I said no blanking way. The writing was on the wall for what the crowds would be today, sunny and 70, nope, no.way.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2018, 07:38:43 AM »

Not even close to a first. This has happened numerous times at Christmas, and sometimes during some of the popular summer events if I recall correctly. We discussed it a lot last year as during our speculations about the area around TT.

I had thought that around 26000 was the limit, but who knows. I don't think 35000 is possible. Probably be a few days to hear the real number.

Saturdays "official" number as of 10:30 sat night  was 28,600.     

The words "record number" was used,  I dont know if that is true or not...

regardless..... thats a bunch of people!!!     LOL>. :o :o

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2018, 07:51:05 AM »
We drove down from Iowa for the weekend and had a great time, but Friday’s weather was our saving grace.  We got to the City around 3:00 on Thursday and the line for the Thanksgiving buffet stretched from the Mine/Mill/Ruinion Hall almost to the turnstiles. We waited just about 3 hours to be seated. I probably wouldn’t have, but it’s tradition, so what do you do?  After that, though, the crowd was pretty well dispersed and we didn’t really have any issues.  The park felt full but not crowded.

Friday was wonderful. The rain kept the crowd away, but it really only rained off and on a bit and we managed to get inside each time it was more than a mist/sprinkle. The temps didn’t bother us at all (48 is a lot nicer than what we’re getting in Iowa in late November), and the rain made the lights even prettier. We were probably at the City from 10:30 or so until 7:00 pm. When we left, the weather had cleared and there was quite a few people coming in, so I’m not sure when that 7000 attendance number was officially reached.

Saturday was bonkers from the word go.  We arrived at 9:00 am or so and the line for the $40 after Thanksgiving tickets stretched from the ticket booths all the way back to the stop sign where trams come up from stops 2/3 (I still refer to the stops by letter, which annoys my wife and entertains my kids... “lot C is for Car”). Luckily we had our season passes and we’re able to get right in, but everything was full, if not yet crowded, already.  We had to wait in line for literally everything - bathroom, cashiers, food, rides (of course). We ended up taking our time to see what we wanted and then left the City at 2:00. At that point, the cars were at a standstill in both lanes on Indian Point Rd back to the stoplight at 76. I’m interested to hear the official numbers for the weekend.

A few quick notes tag aren’t attendance related:

Time Traveller is awesome.  Very smooth and the rotating didn’t bother me at all.

As everyone else is saying, FM and FITH *really* need work.  It’s sad to see them in such a state.

For the first time EVER (I’ve been going to the City for 32 years), the lights didn’t work for Grandpa’s story (on Friday). Not sure if the rain caused issues, but about half of the lights were stuck on and none of them ran through the sequence.

Christmas in Midtown, to me, is just too much (this was my first time seeing it in person). I’m not a fan of the “sheets” of LED lights and false second stories. I MUCH prefer the traditional outlining of buildings, doorways, etc.  My 12 year old agreed.

As mentioned, the City really needs to do *something* to address crowds. I just worry that we’ll lose the atmosphere that makes SDC special.

Thanks for listening.
Tom

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2018, 06:27:00 AM »
Sunday, another poor number for the park..  Was the weather that bad down there..  I know it was BAD here,
30-40- mph winds
4 degree wind chill
blowing snow ALL day...

But in Branson?...  anyway only 5400 people.~, 

May have been a good day to be there and look it all over...