Author Topic: Attendance numbers  (Read 107706 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance numbers
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »
9500 people today, sunday the 16th...

total opening fall festival weekend almost 23000

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »
You are correct sanddune, there was 10 of us at SDC this past Sat. They predicted 16,000. The park did not get really busy until around 2-3pm. It was a good day. :)
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
Saturday-  Opening weekend for Christmas...  No rain, 50-55 degrees daytime, no wind....  =

20,000 people in attendence..   Nice start for the season

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »
When we left at 6:00ish this evening, the taffy lady told me attendance was around 6000 today. It was amazingly slow and wonderful!!  :)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »
On Saturday we got there around 4 and paid parking was full. They actually had us park on the road that is the entrance to the paid parking booths.

bgtgwazi

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2018, 08:34:28 AM »
Hello everyone, first time poster here and first time visitor to the park next Saturday. This site's been a wealth of knowledge and I'm very prepared for a very busy day at the park. I've tried searching the forums but have a couple questions in terms of dealing with the crowds that I wasn't able to find direct answers to:

1) We'll be driving in from St. Louis early Saturday morning with an expected arrival in the Branson area between 11-11:30. Google maps is showing that it takes about 10 minutes longer without traffic to come to the park via Branson West, so my question is, with the expected traffic getting to the parking lots coming from Branson, is this a better route to get into the park, or does it get equally jammed coming from both directions on 76?

2) With attendance of >20,000 expected, what impact does this have on wait times for the coasters? I've been to Dollywood many times on what appeared to be packed days (overflow parking, etc.) but everyone always seemed to be there for the shows and most of the ride wait times were relatively low, save the newest big coaster (last year, Lightning Rod). Is there a similar situation at SDC? Will it be worth it for me to purchase a Trailblazer pass if I'm going mainly for the rides and I can only go on Saturday?

Thanks everyone.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
Sunday-   7300 people... 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
Welcome bgtgwazi, you coming for Coaster Christmas?

Branson West is always the best way to get to SDC. Coming in at 11 will be tough... that is prime time for the road to be clogged. SDC's parking system is absolutely crazy. Keep in mind that they have limited capacity in the lots close to the park, and on days like these they know that they will exceed them, so they sometimes guide people down the road to the satellite parking lots, some of which are miles from the park. This causes endless confusion for first time visitors who think they are being turned away.

If you look on google maps, there is a Bear State Bank on 76 between SDC and Branson West. The dirt area behind that bank is one of the overflow lots, for example. They also park in the empty lot across from West Branson Marine, and there's a long skinny lot south of SDC on Indian Point Road. So if you end up being flagged through the parking lots, you will likely be redirected towards one of those lots. Don't worry though, the parking is free and there are lots of shuttles.

As for coaster waits, it will be crowded, but SDC is efficient. Even on busy days, Wildfire has pretty short waits of less than 30 mins. Sometimes it's a walk-on. Outlaw Run is about the same, sometimes a bit longer. Powderkeg will stay busy at around an hour or so wait since it is such an all-around hit with a short height limit. Time Traveler is still new and extremely popular, so wait times on it can reach two hours. Thunderation is next to TT and has had a massive popularity boost thanks to it, so it can get waits ~30 mins sometimes too.

But here's the good news, just like you mentioned about DW, a LOT of people come here for the shows, lights, and other things besides coasters. This park has a lot to offer, and it was popular long before all the modern coasters and rides were added. Around mid-day, the lines will be at their longest, but as it gets dark and the lights come out, they will actually drop off. By the end of the day WF and OR are often walk-ons. There's also often a change-over in guests, as some guests come early for rides and then leave to go to Branson for shows, while other people come later just to see the lights. Lots of interesting crowd dynamics at SDC, it's more complicated than most parks.

If you are coming for Coaster Christmas, there is a chance they will give us Trailblazers (SDC's fast pass system). It's not guaranteed, and it's always an awesome event either way, but sometimes they go all-out for ACE. They've already treated us once this year though, and this is going to be a busy weekend, so I wouldn't go in expecting it. Otherwise, buying a trailblazer pass may be worth it for you if you are gung-ho about the rides. Unfortunately for this year, trailblazers can only be used once on Time Traveler due to the extremely high demand.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
1) We'll be driving in from St. Louis early Saturday morning with an expected arrival in the Branson area between 11-11:30. Google maps is showing that it takes about 10 minutes longer without traffic to come to the park via Branson West, so my question is, with the expected traffic getting to the parking lots coming from Branson, is this a better route to get into the park, or does it get equally jammed coming from both directions on 76?

2) With attendance of >20,000 expected, what impact does this have on wait times for the coasters? Will it be worth it for me to purchase a Trailblazer pass if I'm going mainly for the rides and I can only go on Saturday?

If you're coming in from St. Louis, then you're likely going to be coming down 65, in which case I would take the Mountain Highroad and go around Branson.  You can also bypass much of the wait coming that way.  If you wanted to come in through Branson West, then you're going to have to route through part of Springfield, Nixa and then Branson West and the extra miles could outweigh any time you'd save- more than likely they would.

I would suggest if at all possible hit the road an hour earlier if you can.  The time you save in the parking lot, getting into the park and much more will more than make up for that little bit of sleep lost.

I would also keep an eye on the temperatures.  There's a good chance that this weekend will be pretty cool, and if the temperature forecasts they are saying now hold up, many of the coasters may not be operating.  The highs have been estimated at 40-48 degrees, with lows from 25-20, depending on forecast, and at I'd hate to see you spend the money on a TrailBlazer only to not get much use out of it because the coasters are closed.  For example, it has to be over 40 degrees for Powder Keg and Wildfire to operate, and over 41 for Time Traveler, which may not give them much of a operating window to run.

A much better spending of money, in my opinion, would be on the show pass for Dickens and Wonderful Life.  It's $10/ person per show, but it will save you 30-50 minutes in line for each, and give you a much better seat for it.  As good as the coasters are, the shows are the highlights of Christmas at SDC.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

bgtgwazi

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Sirwillow and shavethewhales:

Wow thank you so much for taking the time for such detailed responses. I truly appreciate it.

Regarding coming from Springfield, it appears that taking the "EE" exit to Highlandville from 65 to cut over to US 160, then down to 13 to Branson West actually shaves off half a mile but adds 6 minutes according to Google Maps (again not accounting for traffic). The traffic I'm concerned about is the predicted backup (again according to Google) that builds from the 465/76 intersection to Indian Point Road, which seems to be a longer backup (and longer than 6 minutes difference). Unfortunately, I'll be flying in from Orlando  (a $92 roundtrip flight was the impetus for this very spur of the moment trip) and can't get on the road any sooner (already praying for no flight delays).

Regarding the weather, the forecasts that I'm seeing call for a high of 45-50, and according to SDC most rides operate in the 30s and all rides operate above 42, so except for the first couple hours of the day I think I'm pretty safe for most of the day if the forecast holds.

Thanks again to you both. Looking forward to a great day at the park!

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »
I'll be flying in from Orlando  (a $92 roundtrip flight was the impetus for this very spur of the moment trip) and can't get on the road any sooner (already praying for no flight delays).

Regarding the weather, the forecasts that I'm seeing call for a high of 45-50, and according to SDC most rides operate in the 30s and all rides operate above 42, so except for the first couple hours of the day I think I'm pretty safe for most of the day if the forecast holds.

I should have figured Orlando based on your handle.  Duh!  LOL  Yeah, that kind of will affect what time you get on the road.

I haven't taken that particular route (I live to the west of SDC), but if Google has that right (and they usually do) then that sounds like a great option.  yes, the traffic back up on the Branson West side is MUCH shorter than the other direction, so that should work well.  You're actually coming in early enough that you should be ok on the parking as well.  At that point this last Saturday they were still parking in their regular lots and not using the satellites, so I think you'll be fine.

One thing with Missouri- the forecasts will change constantly, sometimes even within hours.  Unlike Florida where they go on for 15 minutes to tell you that every day is the same weather (that always amazed me watching the tv forecasts there), here's it's a constantly changing deal.  Two days ago they were talking about possible snow on Thursday, now it's looking warmer and little rain at all.  But that could change again by tomorrow.  lol  Hoping you get your warmer weather (though for Florida it'll feel like ice to you) and that everything gets open.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

bgtgwazi

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »

I should have figured Orlando based on your handle.  Duh!  LOL  Yeah, that kind of will affect what time you get on the road.

I haven't taken that particular route (I live to the west of SDC), but if Google has that right (and they usually do) then that sounds like a great option.  yes, the traffic back up on the Branson West side is MUCH shorter than the other direction, so that should work well.  You're actually coming in early enough that you should be ok on the parking as well.  At that point this last Saturday they were still parking in their regular lots and not using the satellites, so I think you'll be fine.

I was planning on parking in Preferred.. Do you know how early that tends to fill up?

One thing with Missouri- the forecasts will change constantly, sometimes even within hours.  Unlike Florida where they go on for 15 minutes to tell you that every day is the same weather (that always amazed me watching the tv forecasts there), here's it's a constantly changing deal.  Two days ago they were talking about possible snow on Thursday, now it's looking warmer and little rain at all.  But that could change again by tomorrow.  lol  Hoping you get your warmer weather (though for Florida it'll feel like ice to you) and that everything gets open.  :-)

While our temperature may stay constant for 6 months out of the year, summer rain is frustratingly unpredictable here! :-) You can rarely be sure of it whether it's a 20% chance or 90%.

I'll keep an eye on the forecast for sure.. when I booked the flight it was showing high of 51, now it's showing 48. But yes, as a Floridian I will be in full arctic attire regardless! :) As long as Outlaw Run opens I'll be a happy camper.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »
You shouldn't have trouble getting to Outlaw unless it goes down for maintenance. Hard to say which way the weather will go, but there's still time for it to warm up. Either way, it will be a fun trip just to see SDC at Christmas. (even though it's still early November)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
I was planning on parking in Preferred.. Do you know how early that tends to fill up?

I'll keep an eye on the forecast for sure.. when I booked the flight it was showing high of 51, now it's showing 48. But yes, as a Floridian I will be in full arctic attire regardless! :) As long as Outlaw Run opens I'll be a happy camper.

You'll have plenty of room in Preferred parking, but personally, I'd save the money.  Preferred parking is in between the regular lots and the entrance, with wheel chair parking between Preferred and the entrance.  You get to pay more to park a little closer, then have to walk in and out to your car instead of riding the tram.  I'd rather take one of the regular lots, save my money, and ride the tram in and out.  But then I'm a cheap skate and lazy.  lol

You should be able to get Outlaw Run in.  It has to get to 37 for it to open, which it will do, probably around noonish I'd think, and at that point it will keep going, and should have relatively short wait times.  Really your iffy ones will be Powder Keg, Wildfire and Time Traveler.  It will get warm enough for them to open, but not by a whole lot, and possibly not for more than 3 or 4 hours.  But that should be enough time.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »
I am so glad I went last weekend instead of going to Coaster Christmas this weekend.  Dang it’s cold outside
SWOOSH