Author Topic: Former Schlitterbahn KC exec charged with manslaughter  (Read 10254 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Former Schlitterbahn KC exec charged with manslaughter
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:26:44 PM »
http://www.wcvb.com/article/former-schlitterbahn-executive-facing-manslaughter-charge-in-water-slide-death/19577801

Tyler Miles was booked in the Wyandotte County Jail Friday and charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Former Schlitterbahn KC exec charged with manslaughter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »
There’s no way Schlitterbahn survives this. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:07:34 PM »
This is what liability insurance is for....to protect the company from bankruptcy on stuff like this.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
Have you read the entire report?  I’ve never read something so damning.  Again there’s no way Schlitterbahn survives this.  Liability isn’t going to cover this one when negligence is so apparent
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
I haven't read the report myself yet, but my understanding from the discussion of it is that they never had a licensed set of engineers sign off on it? I don't know what to think here. On one hand, it seems like a freak accident and all slides can be dangerous. On the other hand, it seems like the process they went through to build this thing cut a lot of corners that they didn't even think of because they didn't seek proper experts to analyze the risk and operating parameters.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »
Here is what I'm reading....just in the first 16 of 47 pages....

Decided to build the slide to while talking to the travel channel producers (to impress them)
Hired unqualified engineers because qualifed ones would make the ride boring
Skipped details of the math due to rushed timeline and relied on trail-and-error methods
Ride had to have lots of speed....needed for it to look good on TV
Builder knew the rafts went airborne before it opened...with videos
Slide was redesigned with this issue observed on heavier riders throughout all the testing
Park saw the situation as a 'arms race' against other waterparks...an ego boast for the Kansas park
admitted that they ignored safety high standards in an effort to be a industry changer
The designer was afraid for his own life on the ride
and on and on and on...

Needs to be more than one person in jail.

I know it's armchair quarterbacking at this point...but as I said in previous posts.  One look at this ride I knew it was stupid and dangerous.  I'll never go to one of there parks.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 11:18:46 PM »
This indictment doesn’t even include the accidents that have happened on Mighty MO and King Kaw.  Lots of concussions from riders being thrown from tubes hitting their heads on the walls and floors.
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 11:33:34 PM »
Just finished it.....horrific.  This needs to be well documented as a case study for the betterment of the amusement park industry.  Get some lessons learned from it to prevent from happening again.

I don't think they ever wanted to kill someone but what I just read was damning.  It was only a matter of time and they didn't seem to care.  Ride should have never opened and there is no doubt is shouldn't have kept running after all those injuries.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 11:38:10 PM »
This indictment doesn’t even include the accidents that have happened on Mighty MO and King Kaw.  Lots of concussions from riders being thrown from tubes hitting their heads on the walls and floors.

Those homemade rides too?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 05:52:33 AM »
Everything is homemade
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »
Everything is homemade

I knew they built most of their attraction....after reading that I'd recommend nobody go to any of their parks.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »
In the real world....they need to say "We are sorry, we feel like crap this happened in our park and to the victims, we are going to support the impacted in all ways legally possible, we fired all involved (I assume they haven't), we will help the authorities prosecute the case to seek justice (they kind of tried to say this),  we don't know how to make it better but we are dedicated to the mission that it will never happen again in our parks".

But instead this crap release statement reeks of lawyer speak to ensure that the pending legal preceding will impact the company and it's employees as little as possible is the #1 goal.  I wouldn't trust this company to walk my dog.  I'm sure the victims family is really happy that their employees kids and grandkids happily walked away from Verruckt to live happy lives.  Horrific.

Schlitterbahn released the following statement after the water park was indicted:

"We’ve reviewed the indictment against Schlitterbahn Kansas City and Tyler Miles and we plan on contesting the allegations. Since the date of the incident we have worked closely with law enforcement; at no time have we withheld evidence; at no time have we altered evidence. The indictment uses quoted statements from a reality TV show that was scripted for dramatic effect that in no way reflects the design and construction of the ride.

"The safety of our Schlitterbahn guests and employees has been at the forefront of our culture throughout our 40 years of operations. Many of us rode Verruckt regularly, as did our children and grandchildren. We have faith in the justice system and are confident that when we finally have an opportunity to defend ourselves, it will be clear that this was an accident. We stand by our team and will fight these charges."

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:58:54 AM by HumphreyHawk »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 08:03:17 PM »
SDC had the good sense to remove the Waterboggan before things got worse.

I loved the ride, but it was rough, and lots of people got bounced around in ways they shouldn't have.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
SDC had the good sense to remove the Waterboggan before things got worse.

I loved the ride, but it was rough, and lots of people got bounced around in ways they shouldn't have.

True,  but i really enjoyed that ride... ..