Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > General Silver Dollar City Talk

SDC V Dollywood

(1/2) > >>

Okiebenz:
I have thought about some day heading out to Dollywood and was looking at their website and it appears to me they have more, larger rides than SDC.  Anybody BTDT?

Swoosh:
There are several trip reports on midwestinfoguide.com click Dollywood on the right and it’ll take you to those updates

mhguy77:
I was in Dollywood a few years back.  Very much like SDC in part of it and SDC 2.0 in the rest.  I honestly think that you can see whats coming by looking at DW.  Half off admission to both the water park and the park.  When I went they let me in after 3 was next day free so we went for 1.5 days to DW and 1 day at the water park (blows white water away 100%) for the price of one days admission.   Its a fun place, its clean and they have more rides than SDC.  Less crafts.  Its worth the trip although I think it's less charming than SDC>  Let us know if you go.

Hotels in Pigeon Forge were high so I went to Bass Pro and signed up for a timeshare tour and that covered the hotel for 2 nights and several coupons for free foods ext around town.  This was the Bass Pro (Blue Green tour)  It really takes an hour and a half and as long as you can say "no thank you" you will be $400 ahead for your logging!

shavethewhales:
It's not that much bigger and has a number of similarities to SDC. I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be when I went a couple years ago. It was probably because I went in expecting a bigger SDC though. It is certainly it's own park, and it has a much less cohesive and thematic feel than SDC.

The old SDC Tennesee sections are really nice, and I enjoy the Dolly Parton museum and some of her areas of the park near the front, but the newer back areas leave a lot to be desired. Wild Eagle has no theming and a very uninspired layout. The whole wilderness pass area had a SF feel with very light, slightly cartoonish theme. Timber canyon or whatever it's called with Thunderhead and Mystery Mine looks a lot better, but it's packed with rides and not much else. Mystery Mine is the big exception to everything that I have always been jealous of. That is possibly the most thematic ride outside of a Disney park, and it was my hope at the time that it would kick off a new generation of highly themed HFE rides... but then they built Wild Eagle.

But overall though, the rides are nice and there are a few interesting shows and non-ride things to do. The old section of the park is actually really nice and has a great SDC feeling to it with several shops and craftsmen. I haven't done Lightning Rod yet, but hope to get out there next year. That ride is supposed to be even better than Outlaw Run. 

Okiebenz:
So can you get everything done in 1 day or is it a multi day deal?  Does it get jam packed like SCD does?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version