Author Topic: 2018 Trip Reports  (Read 75844 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Trip Reports
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2018, 07:49:31 AM »
Honestly, as much as I like that Disney enforces full costume, I feel bad for those who can't wear more comfortable shoes, so I'm okay with SDC allowing it. I sympathize with them, as when I worked at Worlds of Fun, even though my booth was run by a different company, we still had to dress for WoF's employee dress code. With having to stand for a full 5-6 hours (we weren't allowed any stools/etc - "if you're sitting you don't look like you're working" even though as an airbrush artist, I'd pretty obviously be working even if I was sitting), it was frustrating that the dress code only allowed "shoes with laces", which meant I couldn't wear my Crocs, which are the only footwear I've been able to wear and not have aching feet and back after being on my feet for several hours.

So, yeah, if SDC allowing employees to wear sneakers means they don't have to deal with sore feet or back? I'm all for it.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
All I want is an SDC hoodie or sweater with the classic axe and log logo. However, all I can find anywhere in the park is clothes with roller coasters, trees, or mountains on them. Honestly, a lot of SDC's merchandise when it comes to clothing is targeted at a younger audience which is just really disappointing. A lot of it is not appealing to me at all. I would be willing to pay higher price for a higher quality clothing selection.

Amen to the merch getting worse.  When I was in Dollywood I noted the merch there was unappealing to me, same company I suspect from all I see same corp direction.  I see SDC is going the same direction.  I was looking at shirts last time I was there.  All pictures of rides.  SDC is changing,  They are gearing to the younger folks and thats ok but I dont believe its the teens that turn the turnstiles April - June Then September - Christmas,  Lots of non-weekend days in that schedule.  Don't forget the adults or they won't be willing to bring the kids as often.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »
A few years ago, they sold vintage-looking Fire in the Hole hoodies, and I was lucky enough to get one. It's one of my favorite shirts. I would like to see an entire line of vintage SDC shirts. Imagine the possibilities!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
For costumes, I don't let a few little things done for comfort get in the way of the experience. I'm glad they still wear as much costuming as they do. Shoes are practically a human rights issue these days if you are on your feet all day. Forcing them to wear uncomfortable shoes is a good way to get people to quit, or even worse - unionize. Theoretically they could provide employees a comfortable, less conspicuous shoe style, but I'm sure it's cost-prohibitive.

As for merch, it comes and goes. It's all based on whatever they think will sell, so send them your thoughts. What sells this year will impact what they have the next.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
The shoe issue comes down to one thing- as others have mentioned- "authentic" looking shoes are, generally, also horribly uncomfortable, especially when it comes to being on your feet for 8 hours + a day.  When I was there the general rule was a "color appropriate work shoe without a logo" at least for the train.  We weren't allowed tennis/ athletic shoes per se, but I was able to find some very comfortable work shoes with gel soles in them that worked very well.  But they really weren't any more time appropriate than a tennis shoe either.

However, I also can understand what you're saying in that just at a glance the tennis shoe can look more "modern" than a work shoe.  I'm curious if it's just the visiting craftsmen that are wearing them, or if it's a widespread thing among the employees.  I haven't noticed it. But then I also don't tend to stare at people's feet either.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2018, 06:50:59 PM »
Just to be clear, I do support comfort at work. I just wish that the shoes fit in better with their costumes, is all I am saying. And no, I did not stare at employee's shoes all day.  But when one stands in line, you notice random things. ::)
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »
Just to be clear, I do support comfort at work. I just wish that the shoes fit in better with their costumes, is all I am saying. And no, I did not stare at employee's shoes all day.  But when one stands in line, you notice random things. ::)

I agree..  Things, 

You know..... Things  :o

For Example :
Shoes,
2 way radios,
cell phones,
secruity carrying guns,
AC units on buildings,
fans,
machine tracks in the Asphalt,
Things.. :)   

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »
I understand about shoes. Theme-appropriate footwear is both expensive and uncomfortable. Forty years ago, wearing Grandpa's old hunting boots was cheap and easy, but it's not that way today. For one thing, Grandpa is probably still wearing them. ;)

I think even Miss Mary would give in on this. Not about the wristwatches and cell phones, though.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
We were at the City for a little bit Friday afternoon and Saturday.  We got there at about 2:45pm and the crowds were not too bad.  We rode all the rides we wanted then left at about 5 I think.  Saturday we got there at around 9:45am or so.  We walked on to every single ride we wanted to ride with no wait at all.  We rode PK totally alone as well as FITH.  We back and rode PK another couple of times.  We then walked around and checked some of the booths out for a while, then rode TT toward the end of our visit with about a 30 minute wait.  This was around 12:30pm.  I think when we first got there everyone else headed to TT first, so we were able to walk on all other rides for the first hour or 2 they were open.  By the time we left before 1pm the parking lot looked full and the square was starting to fill up. 

One other thing of note, we noticed they were setting up tents in the area behind the admin building to the right of where the trams pull up.  We asked the stop 1 driver what that was and he said he was not 100% sure but he thought they were setting those up because they think the crowds for Christmas will be so huge they will also bring people in around that side (maybe that is the employee entrance)?  Anybody else heard that?

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »
One other thing of note, we noticed they were setting up tents in the area behind the admin building to the right of where the trams pull up.  We asked the stop 1 driver what that was and he said he was not 100% sure but he thought they were setting those up because they think the crowds for Christmas will be so huge they will also bring people in around that side (maybe that is the employee entrance)?  Anybody else heard that?

That honestly wouldn't shock me at all.  I'm going to dare to chance the crowds this Saturday for a meet and greet- and maybe next Saturday for the ACE event (I still haven't quite decided on that) but they'll both be days that I'll get there very early then plan plenty of crowd watching.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »
My family and I were in the City on Friday and Saturday. We had a great time as always! We made the following observations:

1. This was our first time on Time Traveler. It was a great coaster and the entire family enjoyed it.
2. SDC has upped its coffee game. In the past, the coffee has tasted instant. The coffee this year tasted brewed and it was very good.
3. Is it just me, or did they change the apple turnover recipe? I didn't care for the turnovers this year.
4. I was pleased with the new food court. I'm a SDC traditionalist, so I tend to be change averse.  :) However, this was well done.
5. I was amazed at the rebuilt Jack's building in Midtown. If I didn't follow this site and known it had been done, I would have never noticed.
6. I continue to be amazed how a theme park can trigger such an emotional connection for my family and me. I can't wait for Christmas!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
My family and I were in the City on Friday and Saturday. We had a great time as always! We made the following observations:

3. Is it just me, or did they change the apple turnover recipe? I didn't care for the turnovers this year.

The turnovers were below par last year also...  IMHO

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
Same with the Hot Chocolate seemed very watered down.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
Any thoughts on This coming Sunday?  My kids don’t have school Monday. It would be the perfect Sunday to go and let them ride til close.